Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I absolutely loved the no time limits in BGs. My longest WSG was just over 14 hours, and when we won, it was glorious.

I know if they implemented that again though I wouldn't be having such a great time.

Quote Originally Posted by Zao View Post
    I don't think I had that back then. But that reminded me of another thing:

Not knowing the absolute health of an NPC. Absolute Health wasn't displayed by default. There was just an addon that tried to calculate health by measuring the damage you did proportionate to the health %.
    Oh yeah. Mobinfo. Awesome times..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Badhairday View Post
    Hehe, I actually leveled as a holy paladin, stacking strength/spirit and using 1h/shield with as tanky stats as possible. I was the tank and healer during all those SM runs, holding aggro mostly by healing myself, but I do believe we had someone offhealing too. (No, we didn't make it far very fast) Mad times, mad times.
    Lol, I did this quite often too. I'd stay Holy, but wear tank items and offtank. Healing was so easy though this way.

Herald of the Titans MrKnubbles's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Paladins used to have auras.
    Check out my game, Craftsmith, on the Google Play Store!

Addons could practically play the game for you, up to and including turning/moving your character. I remember having one addon that would run you back to your corpse after you died, and it could even figure out how to move you around obstacles as it ran you back.

Quote Originally Posted by Zao View Post
    Negative Resistances: Early in the game it was possible for players and NPCs to have negative resistances. So you'd do extra damage to the affected target.
    No shared trinket cooldowns: You were able to use both trinket slots at once. Arcane mages became infamous for the "ZHC+ToEMP+AM" nuke.
    As a warlock, Negative Resist was hilarious. Shadow bolt hits for 700 or w/e, and had a random chance to add like 100-500 more along with the 100% crit dmg talent... nom nom nom.

Also, trinket 3 min mages ftw.

Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    Hillsbrad / Tarren Mill fights
    While this one is remembered the most, the real war zone was Blackrock mountain. And green dragon portals.

Goddamn water for Runes in MC from NPC in the open sea in Azshara

AQ20 bosses dropped new spell ranks books.

15 min between Nefarian tries.
    Last edited by LazarusLong; 2013-01-09 at 10:32 PM.

Whoa, I'm so used to seeing posts from people that hated vanilla saying stuff like "It took me 8 hours to find a group to find a dungeon" or " everyone else was geared in tier 3 and would one shot me"... it's just bizarre seeing a post about good stuff from vanilla. My favorite things:

- World pvp show downs... if you went into STV, you knew you were going to get a battle
    - The sense of community, working together to beat bosses, even in 5 mans, completing a place like scholomance was a pretty big deal
    - No best in slot lists... if you had a full set of blues, you were pretty much best in slot lol. You could use whatever gear you liked best really, since damage meters weren't used as often (and were pretty inaccurate at times), things like trinkets had a lot more flavor to them
    - Back to the sense of community, if you saw someone botting, they'd be blacklisted from every guild, same thing if they ninja'ed
    - First time seeing Ragnaros.... epic stuff, Wow will never get close to something like that again IMO

Deleted
    Farming soul shards before every raid and porting people one by one...

Edit: Not knowing precisely where the mobs for your current quest spawn and checking thottbot for spawn locations
    Last edited by mmoc7dd9f54937; 2013-01-09 at 10:51 PM.

Most of this shit we just put up with because the game was mysterious and new. It's "fun" looking back on them, but I would never want to be there again.
    Maybe I missed it already in the thread...

.... you would be dismounted if your mount so much as touched any water area.
    Help control the population. Have your blood elf spayed or neutered.

These things were definitely not "better" by my standards, but we didn't know to expect anything different! I mean come on, in what world is hunter mana and carrying ammo better? It's certainly more unique and "realistic (lol)" than what we have now, but it was a logistical nightmare!

No one has yet mentioned that mounts and pets had to actually be carried with you in order to use them and you only carried the one or two that you liked to use. There was far less buying or every single mount / pet in the game and there were far fewer (obviously!)

Something else I always remember about Vanilla for me was I would hit level 53 and just stop playing that character for months at a time. I don't know exactly what it was but those last 10 levels felt like they took forEVER!

Venturing into Un'Goro for the first time ever, for me felt so awesome... That place had such a cool Land that Time Forgot feeling to it with all the dinos and shit roaming about. I remember actually being kinda nervous while playing there for fear of a devilsaur coming up on me! There's so much nostalgia when thinking back to Vanilla, but the same is true for me with regards to BC and Wrath, but I DEFINITELY do not want to go back to any of it. OK, well, most of it, anyways.
    I can teach you how to play, but I can't fix stupid.

I remember that 5 minute Paladin buffs in Vanilla. Oh man, those were horribly funny times. Basically rebuff after every encounter in Molten Core/other raids/dungeons.

I remember having to go the actual battleground portals, and then they eventually added battle masters to Org/Stormwind.

Oh, about PvP, Old AV was superb. I won't go into that since everyone's probably heard about it by now. And also loved/hated the no timer thing. Had some intense 3 hour showdowns back in the day. Speaking of PvP, I remember being sheeped for about 30-40s back then and also running against those dual-trinket mages (the horror).

Quote Originally Posted by Schamie View Post
    i remember the days of old conjuring the water for the raid... at one point i was the only mage and that sucked i also remembering having to go into dire maul to get the latest conjure water spell; that was fun
    I wish we could get improved spells from books that drop in raids.

---------- Post added 2013-01-10 at 04:38 AM ----------

There was +Healing and +Spellpower on gear. I never liked sharing gear with caster dps.

Quote Originally Posted by lios View Post
    Downranking and the 5 second rule for healers! I loved that. It made it very apparent who was a good healer and who wasn't and it added a lot of fun to the healing game. I miss it
    I loved 5-sec rule, sometimes I still hesitate to start casting after a pause in a boss fight.

Level 1 and level 4 greater heal for my priest saved lot of mana.

---------- Post added 2013-01-10 at 04:39 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Slakkers View Post
    Gnomes dismounting and having to swim in water where every other race could walk :-) I miss that...
    This happened all the time in black morass for kara attunement. Funny ;-)

---------- Post added 2013-01-10 at 04:41 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    At the time it was amazing, but with all the luxuries we have now, it would be horrible to go back to.
    For some, yes; for others it would be great.

The game was new. It was fun. Now the game is old. It is less fun. People get bored. Direct quality comparisons are irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by killidan View Post
    I wish we could get improved spells from books that drop in raids.[COLOR="red"]

I loved 5-sec rule, sometimes I still hesitate to start casting after a pause in a boss fight.
    Same thing. It's like I'm hardwired to 5 sec rule still.

Deleted
    I remember myself on the warrior, farming around the cauldrons of western plaguelands together with a priest buddy in vanilla. All that for the epic mount! Good times

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brutalion View Post
    I remember myself on the warrior, farming around the cauldrons of western plaguelands together with a priest buddy in vanilla. All that for the epic mount! Good times
    That reminds me of the atrocious loot mechanics from back then. If corpses died in a pile, it took forever to loot them because the looted corpses blocked access to the unlooted ones.

I remember the zepplins that would "vanish" while over the ocean in durotar. Everyone would then fall to the sea. I would cast water walking on as many suckers as I could before they went splat! I would then put water walking on my self after landing in the water and then run back to durotar!

Also using the ghost buster item in my relic slot as a shaman as we didn't have relics until it was patched in. (I think my first relic was from BRD)

Doing the discs of uldum questline to be left with a cliff hanger... then cata comes and uldum isnt a dungeon is a whole damn zone. I was both happy and sad, I wanted uldum to be some weird titan lab or something but got a zone instead!
    Last edited by khalltusk; 2013-01-10 at 09:24 AM.

Deleted
    But why most of the things said in here are pre-cata/mop general common stuff ?

I supposed it was a classic-nostalgia-iknowbetter type of thread ?

Very few things here were exclusive in classic .. guys cmon, try harder if you want to act like you played back then .

Crafting patterns that took a lifetime to farm.

Stormshroud I'm looking at you.