Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Alright, so I decided to try out Rift, and Im gonna play it this weekend. Ill play until lvl 20, and from there I will decide whether I will keep playing, or if Rift is just not my style. Ill let you guys know the class and name when I create my character, so maybe we can team up or something. Will be playing on Deepwood

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by yack346 View Post
    Alright, so I decided to try out Rift, and Im gonna play it this weekend. Ill play until lvl 20, and from there I will decide whether I will keep playing, or if Rift is just not my style. Ill let you guys know the class and name when I create my character, so maybe we can team up or something. Will be playing on Deepwood
    If you don't mind running a program like Raptr, they have a pretty constant promotion to give you a free copy of original Rift and a free month of game time if you log a few hours playing the game. This is easily accomplished by leveling to 20 in Rift Lite.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by yack346 View Post
    Alright, so I came from playing WoW for 1 and a half years, to playing no MMO since 2011. I dont know whether to get Rift, Or Guild Wars 2, or just both. My main concern is, is Rift worth getting? Im really want to get it, but i dont know if its worth it.

How is our preference of any use to you?

I for one like bloodsausage and I would gladly recommend it to anyone, granted that most people would probably hate it. Same thing with Rift.
    Now if only there were a way to play a game just to try it out and see if you like it.

With gw2 on the other hand it's a no-brainer since you'll most likely get your 60 bucks worth of enjoyment out of that game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocassius View Post
    I for one like bloodsausage and I would gladly recommend it to anyone
    Oh god no. It's the only reason I can't properly enjoy a full breakfast. I want to be all traditional and love it...but yuck. Any of the 'puddings' are disgusting.

Deleted
    Also consider that TERA and TSW are/will be BTP soon so you should weigh them against GW2.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    That's an extreme exaggeration.

If you queue for random instant adventures and dungeons you do all that stuff.
    Well, like WoW, RIFT is an endgame based linear MMO. It looks like an amazing game from what I've just watched here and I'm considering returning to it with a friend.

But from my previous post, it grouping for pug raids, for GSB, GP, RoTP, DH etc this was at the time when people were finishing off HK and taking on ID. It just fealt like the population wasn't nearly large enough to support stuff like that. Best thing to do was get yourself into a decent guild I guess, in comparison to Warcraft for example where the population is large enough for pug raids.

But then again, I might be wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenlol View Post
    in comparison to Warcraft for example where the population is large enough for pug raids.

But then again, I might be wrong.
    I think it's more the mentality of how people play in Rift versus WoW than a population issue. If the type of people who played Rift wanted the extent that there are PUGs in WoW, you would see them more.

Deleted
    The game is a complete WoW copy from a raider perspective. I just played it for some new content when I got bored with WoWs. Played it at release and thought the big class trees were amazing. But then it ended up with only 1 spec being the best in raids. Pretty much cleared all raid content playing one boring spec with 3 spammable macros. Dno if the game has changed from this.

I am really only interested in raiding content. Got server first clear on the 3 first raids + server first on the 'epic quest' that wasn't all that epic.

It was fun while it lasted but I got bored with the playstyle.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snore View Post
    The game is a complete WoW copy from a raider perspective. I just played it for some new content when I got bored with WoWs. Played it at release and thought the big class trees were amazing. But then it ended up with only 1 spec being the best in raids. Pretty much cleared all raid content playing one boring spec with 3 spammable macros. Dno if the game has changed from this.

I am really only interested in raiding content. Got server first clear on the 3 first raids + server first on the 'epic quest' that wasn't all that epic.

Do you still raid in WoW? Because I'm not really getting much a reason why you would be bored with this and not another form of raiding.

Deleted

I sort of had the same situation. I had a good raiding guild in WoW, got slightly bored in the farming 'lul' and hopped into Rift. Started raiding GSB but around the RoS patch the guild/server started dying with the launch of Cata on the horizon.

Strongly looking into returning to Rift though.

EDIT: Are there any active account/subscription figures published anywhere by Trion?

Quote Originally Posted by Xenlol View Post
    EDIT: Are there any active account/subscription figures published anywhere by Trion?
    Nope, they are a privately owned company and not publicly traded so they do not have to share that info and they keep it locked up tight.

Quote Originally Posted by mavfin View Post
    My interpretation is that Rift's raids aren't really that much 'better' or 'unique' compared to WoW's.
    Except that in Rift there is no LFR, Normal and HM. The raid is the raid and it's a tiered progression system. No coming back to the game and jumping straight into Dragon Soul (for example).

This is why I am back with Rift now. I want TBC back and Rift is basically that, but with more to do out in the world. Loving it so far.

My interpretation is that Rift's raids aren't really that much 'better' or 'unique' compared to WoW's. Some would argue this, of course, but, to me, that's how it goes. I don't play Rift because the raids and/or 5-mans are 'better'. In fact, I barely dungeon/raid at all. It's other stuff that keeps me here. If I was focused on raiding, I'd still be playing WoW with my old guild. I think he meant the same thing. It's not *that much* of a new experience if you just log on to raid, imo.

---------- Post added 2013-01-10 at 06:45 PM ----------

Still a private company, so they have published nothing, except a revenue figure for their first year.
    lol, you edited yours as I was answering that, and now I am responding to your original. Funny forum games.

Anyway, I slightly agree that the raiding is not "better" per se, other than the fact that I find the raid environments more aesthetically pleasing. The major benefit that I find though is that they do not have separate difficulty levels. Your 10m raids are just that, 10m raids and your 20s are 20s. There is not a 10m and a 20m version of the same thing that locks you out of the other. Also, there are not 3 difficulty levels of each raid to drag it out. There is one difficulty, hard. No run LFR to gear up, now run normal, now run Heroic. Granted, soon they are adding Hard Modes to certain encounters, and I am still not too sure how I feel about that, but we'll see.

Edit: LOL, now as I say this someone else said basically what I was gonna say moments before me. fun times.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think he meant the same thing. It's not *that much* of a new experience if you just log on to raid, imo.
    But that's the point, they specifically said they 'got bored'. If they still play and raid in WoW now, then the viewpoint isn't a valid criticism since it's the same, so I'm not sure why it was posted. Take that criticism to the genre as a whole, it's not really a good indication of how this game is at all. WoW is playing as the one viable spec for your purpose and smashing macros on repeat as well...so I'm just not buying the criticism.

And raiding being the end all, be all is subjective.

---------- Post added 2013-01-10 at 01:57 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kazi View Post
    This is why I am back with Rift now. I want TBC back and Rift is basically that, but with more to do out in the world. Loving it so far.
    Yes. And several QoL features that would have been awesome in WoW. I get the same feeling. Take that people who dismiss quality for nostalgia.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Do you still raid in WoW? Because I'm not really getting much a reason why you would be bored with this and not another form of raiding.
    I do. I play in a hardcore guild. We cleared the current tier about a month ago. Now I play once or twice per week until the next raid. Then it's hardcore time until it's cleared. I really only enjoy raiding in WoW and I only enjoy it whenevers there's new content to do.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do. I play in a hardcore guild. We cleared the current tier about a month ago. Now I play once or twice per week until the next raid. Then it's hardcore time until it's cleared. I really only enjoy raiding in WoW and I only enjoy it whenevers there's new content to do.
    So WoW is boring to you too, but you still do it, so I'm just wondering why this game was kinda written off by you for the same reasons that WoW is boring. It just doesn't make sense. Honestly not trying to attack you, but I don't understand your reasoning.

I realize your opinion was prefaced with 'from a raider perspective' only, so it's not really a comment on the overall game which is fnie.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    So WoW is boring to you too, but you still do it, so I'm just wondering why this game was kinda written off by you for the same reasons that WoW is boring. It just doesn't make sense. Honestly not trying to attack you, but I don't understand your reasoning.

I realize your opinion was prefaced with 'from a raider perspective' only, so it's not really a comment on the overall game which is fnie.
    I do it because the amount of fun I have when there's new content makes a couple of hours a week of boring worth it.

The reason I picked up Rift in the first place was because I wanted to try something new during the 'farming days' in WoW. I never once thought that the raids in Rift were as good as the raids in WoW. But they were definitely more fun than doing the same raid in WoW that I've done a million times.

So basically, when there was new content in WoW I quit Rift. New content in WoW > New content in Rift. And I can't play two MMOs because I don't have the time or money.

I had fun in Rift but I wasn't ever planning on playing it for a long time.

In my limited time with Rift I absolutely loved it. The leveling was horrible (but I didnt know about the chronicles? so it took forever) to me. But the dungeons and the talents? Just godlike and from what I hear the games raiding is the best, even better than WoWs (thats my opinion).

10+ Year Old Account
    hmm, Im interested in tryout out as well so i bought the box for easier downloading. However, i realize there are probably a ton of patches by now. I am currently stuck with Hughsnet and their 20g a month allowance with a 1mbps speed, and about 14 gigs have alreday been used. Should i just wait to try this out until i can leech of my bf's much better internet?

Also, cannot switch internets. Im at my parents for a few months >.>

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    hmm, Im interested in tryout out as well so i bought the box for easier downloading. However, i realize there are probably a ton of patches by now. I am currently stuck with Hughsnet and their 20g a month allowance with a 1mbps speed, and about 14 gigs have alreday been used. Should i just wait to try this out until i can leech of my bf's much better internet?

Also, cannot switch internets. Im at my parents for a few months >.>

Your looking at possibly as much as 14g download to get up to date btw. It's your call.