Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripley6174 View Post
    If you want to argue semantics as you did in #67, then yes, he was exploiting. That was not the point being discussed, however. The issue was if trying out a bug for fun deserves the same punishment as purposely exploiting those bugs for profit and judging by the way you replied in your first post, you clearly seem to think that it does.
    Yes, they do deserve the same punishment. Bugs are to be reported to Blizzard. Period.

---------- Post added 2013-01-10 at 09:01 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sythari View Post
    Oh come on guys. You can't say if someone told you that you could dupe by selling something and dc'ing yourself with a dc macro that you wouldn't try it out of curiosity!
    Oh yes, I can say with 100% certainty that I would never do that.
    "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Part View Post
    There are two people involved in this mess.

One of them abused it knowing that they were exploiting.

The other group just simply disconnected themselves, and did absolutely nothing that could be considered an exploit, Bug or glitch yes, but not exploit.

wut givs.
    Someone told me if I shoot a gun at someones head they will die.

I was curious so I tried it just to see if it worked.

But I didn't mean to commit murder so I shouldn't be charged.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydarm View Post
    I am a day 1 wow account holder and never been unsubbed in years. I've also never exploited or been banned for anything like this
    im sorry but this is way too funny lol

what does being a vanilla player makes you so special lol
    http://oce.op.gg/summoner/userName=dw+soul+roc in oceanic now Lol

5172-1206-0622 pokemon FC Lets Battle!!

Deleted
    I can not take pity on what you, or those " wrongfully" banned have done. It is just as bad as botting. If you cheat you way to get more items. You got nothing to complain about. you can have you cake and eat it to. You can not cheat, and not feel the consekevens when it goes bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Oh look at all the perfect law-abiding citizens in this thread.
    Pfft, just the regular exploit-thread mentality.

"Thy scum, thou trieth disconnecting thyself! May thee account be banneth for all eternity."

Luckily Blizzard seem to have a more reasonable acceptance to curiosity than the ToU-humpers
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

So you took part in an exploit that you knew was an exploit under the guise of "oh i was curious", got banned for it and then they unbanned you because they decided that you didn't abuse it to the degree that others did or to a degree that affected the game negatively.
    I, personally am glad that they banned the lot of you and then fine tooth combed through to decide who would be un-banned. Don't do it, don't even be tempted.

Deleted
    I'm not commenting on if all should have received perma bans or not cos no matter what I think, truth is, its irrelevant.
    Point is - put yourselves in Blizzards shoes here for a moment. Before you start saying " I would review all cases individually and unban so and so in this case etc etc " would you really ? If Blizzard starts unbanning, what happens next time ? This was a big exploit in terms of numbers. IF say , 10,000 get unbanned the next time an exploit comes up more people will try it cos they will believe that they wont be perma banned. Thats the truth and can Blizzard really allow that mentality to happen ?

They dont lose anything personally from this exploit. Anyone thinking they got one over Blizzard is wrong. Even those that made money in rl did not hurt Blizzard. Blizzard will make money from those that now have to start again and despite many saying they wont , simple truth is they will. Blizzard will have shown the players that they can be tough if they have too , they will make some people think twice before doing it again and make more money. Would you really do different in their position ? Remember its your account that is perma banned . You can still play. The reality is duped items still in game and all players can still play. Its all cosmetic to make you feel shit, teach you a lesson and stop you doing it again. Only you know if that will happen.

Did the punishment fit the crime for all cases, I dont know. I just think the accounts are banned and you will have to move on. Either quit or start again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Exploiting, major or otherwise, is exploiting. Doing it for fun or because you're curious doesn't make it something else.
    But it’s a god damn awful way of treating your customers. Banning their account for exploring curiosity.

10+ Year Old Account
    So you gotta banned than you from a exploit, you bought account & than next morning they unbanned you. You sure it wasn't just a 3 hour ban.
    There is a Ban Pyramid you know.
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

Quote Originally Posted by skitzy129 View Post

I would expect that most people would realise that if you shoot someone in the head there is a large chance that person is going to die without the need to try it and see. It is worrying that some think that exploiting in a game is in anyway similar to murder.

Quote Originally Posted by Monoxyde View Post
    exploiters got banned, the community is better for it.
    Meanwhile, the racists, homophobes and potty mouthed teenagers who think it is acceptable to swear at and abuse others in battle grounds and raids get off with a 3 hour ban at most.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Exploiting, major or otherwise, is exploiting. Doing it for fun or because you're curious doesn't make it something else.
    This. I always drop the hammer on people even talking about duping items because I know there's going to be some idiot in the guild who gets curious.

I don't get the OP. People say oh man let's give him the benefit of the doubt, but the root of the story is he was banned for a short bit while they investigated it and then unbanned him. Blizzard did their job, this guy wasn't horribly wronged and he got his account back after it was gone through. How are people NOT pleased over this.

You could have tried it out on the PTR. The PTR is there for people to try and break the game without getting banned. Of course, you'd have to report the exploit instead of using it on Live, but still.

And as for those that were correctly banned for exploiting the game: good effing riddance.

There is a pretty large difference between firing a gun and disconnecting.

10+ Year Old Account
    So where's the problem? what I mean is (have to explain... you know) why did you do something you knew to be wrong and expect to be given a pass.
    HOOKED ON DIABLOL, GOOD TIMES ARE BEING HAD

Quote Originally Posted by Part View Post
    There is a pretty large difference between firing a gun and disconnecting.
    "Somebody told me how I could embezzle from the company I work for, I just had to try it out to see if it actually works (and it did, so I tried it a second time). But it wasn't with any malicious intent so I shouldn't go to prison for 5 years."

Is a more fitting analogy.

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    I would expect that most people would realise that if you shoot someone in the head there is a large chance that person is going to die without the need to try it and see. It is worrying that some think that exploiting in a game is in anyway similar to murder.

Meanwhile, the racists, homophobes and potty mouthed teenagers who think it is acceptable to swear at and abuse others in battle grounds and raids get off with a 3 hour ban at most.
    Clearly missed the point.

If someone told you that doing X thing is going to disconnect you and dupe things, why do you need to try it "just to see if it works" knowing its a bannable offense?

Curiosity is NOT a valid reason to do something stupid and receive no repercussions.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    "Somebody told me how I could embezzle from the company I work for, I just had to try it out to see if it actually works (and it did, so I tried it a second time). But it wasn't with any malicious intent so I shouldn't go to prison for 5 years."

Is a more fitting analogy.
    No it is not, one is a serious crime the other is disconnecting from an online game.

Clearly missed the point.

If someone told you that doing X thing is going to disconnect you and dupe things, why do you need to try it "just to see if it works" knowing its a bannable offense?

Curiosity is NOT a valid reason to do something stupid and receive no repercussions.
    The disconnect did not directly duplicate things, it only reset the cooldown on your daily CD's such as living steel or darkmoon cards.

Tell me again why people should be banned permanently for "Abusing an exploit to mass produce items that are otherwise barred behind boundaries" without doing such thing? A suspension for playing with the DC part? yes, why not, but permanent is just crossing the line.

Don't use exploits = don't get banned.

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    No it is not, one is a serious crime the other is disconnecting from an online game.
    And both are offences that negatively influence the economy in that particular world.