Lenovo notebooks

Hey everyone, i'm looking for new laptop for office usage and some occasional gameplay. I decided on LENOVO IdeaPad Z580 59-352524. Speccs are more than enough for me but i have never used any lenovo products.I know it's a well known - worldwide brand but, i would like to get some advice from the actual users.

So anyone using any Lenovo notebooks? How is it regarding the quality? (Fan sound, overheating etc.) Any opinion will be appriciated.

Deleted
    I myself am heavily biased against Lenovo for the simple fact they generally use cheaper parts just like HP. Also
    They have a higher fail rate.
    But I think the higher end Lenovo's are okay.

But in my opinion: take Asus.

Probably more expensive but better parts quality overall and just a lower fail rate.

Quote Originally Posted by felix014 View Post
    So anyone using any Lenovo notebooks?
    Many. (not me though)

Lenovo is the chinese subcontractor of IBM that made all IBM branded laptops for years that were office favourites because of the stick mouse in the middle of the keyboard is handier while typing than touchpads and more accurate too. After IBM stopped making PCs Lenovo bought the brand and the designs and have been making IdeaPads, ThinkPads and whateverPads ever since. Quality is still the same as in IBM times.

Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    I myself am heavily biased against Lenovo
    Yeah, I noticed.

fact they generally use cheaper parts just like HP
    Any proof or links?

Also they have a higher fail rate.
    Any proof or links of that either?

Just an opinion. Also Asus makes gaming laptops and the OP is looking for work laptop mainly.

better parts quality overall and just a lower fail rate.
    Any proof of either of those statements? Links?

Almost everybody manufactures their hardware in China, including Apple whose supposedly superior products comes from the same assembly line at Foxconn factories as cheap-ass brands.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

I myself am heavily biased against Lenovo for the simple fact they generally use cheaper parts just like HP. Also

Probably more expensive but better parts quality overall and just a lower fail rate.
    Lenovo probably makes the most robust laptops available, their edge and ideapad series arent all that much but their thinkpad line is proably the best line of any laptop manifacturer when it comes to robustness and business features.

Now given that they're quite expensive most people wait for businesses to make upgrade or liquidation sales and get them at a fraction of the original price..

Either way, they're highly supported on all platforms - Linux, Windows and even OSX.

My X61t has been used and abused and dropped and messed with, but never has it failed on me, and i've never had too big of a problem. I'm using win8 on it.And on top of that i got it on a liquidation sale back in 2011 for what was basically peanuts.
    "Marketing is what you do when your product is no good."

Thanks for all the feedback, i'll also check the thinkpad series. I forgot to mention that i also need a free-dos version and only Lenovo has the ones with good spec + price. Otherwise my first choices should have been Samsung or Asus.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have the IdeaPad Y580 and honestly, I completely regret not getting the ThinkPad. The build quality on the IdeaPad is really disappointing I feel like the thing is gonna snap in half the moment I pick it up, the trackpad is annoying as fuck, and all the indicator lights aren't in direct line of sight without having to bend down a little. Other than those few things the laptop runs great. No overheating and it's not very loud at all.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Deleted
    Sorry for the Danish links. But:

Lenovo: http://www.pricerunner.dk/pi/27-2841...)-Produkt-Info

ASUS: http://www.pricerunner.dk/pi/27-2858...H-Produkt-Info

Both in the same price range, the Lenovo has a 50% bigger HDD, but the ASUS model has the newer gen i5 + a much, much, much better GPU.

If it's for work AND light gaming, I'd definitely go with the ASUS.

Not hating on Lenovo, but the price tag on that thing is too big

I don't know much about Lenovo products, but the touchpad of the ThinkPad X121e netbook I'm browsing with right now is horrible. Luckily it has a pointing stick (actually had to look the name of that thing up lol) as an alternative.

If you use a mouse that isn't a concern of course.

Deleted

http://www.techweekeurope.co.uk/news...visions-103332

Thinkpad will be a free-standing premium brand, perfect work oriented machine.
    Problem solved.

I have been using IBM/Lenovo since the T20 series for work, well over 10 years now, and never had a single major problem with them. I have no idea about the gameplay portion...but my personal experience is Lenovo is solid for business. I have my dad and father in law on Lenovo hardware as well, primarily because I have a good relationship with an owner of an IBM business partner nearby and hes always able to get parts in next day and have any warranty problems resolved within 24 hours. I don't know if companies like asus can match that? I know when dealing with parts for my custom built machine its always been a huge pain in the ass, removing the part, shipping, waiting weeks for a replacement. My father in laws a politician and my dads a real estate agent, both need their machine back right away if something fails. So they both get Lenovo with extended warranty with an ibm business partner just down the street. My 2c.

I have a Thinkpad and that thing is still trucking along after 5 years. Doesn't play games for shit but at the time I didn't need to play games on a laptop.

People will say the same thing about Asus...

End of the day you get what you pay for, if you pay a premium price you will most likley get a premium product.

One of the reasons why I hate people calling Apple products faster/better simply because they compare it to their old product which cost 2 times less.

Deleted
    I bought the z560 (not too different from your one) for my wife a year ago and I have to say the build quality isn't great, a hinge cover fell off within a matter of weeks and the keyboard didn't feel great, had a lot of sticky keys when I first opened it up. In saying that though, I've not had any other problems with the laptop, it's pretty quiet and no problems with heat or anything.

I would buy it again seeing as I only paid 280 euro for it at the time. If the price is good then go for it.

Deleted
    The IBM ThinkPad T-series were solid as a rock. Lenovo pretty much prolonged this reputation but there is some criticism. Even their low budget R-series (which uses more plastic) are alright (but I say the slightly more expensive T-series are worth it). Lenovo is likely to spin off their ThinkPad line from their core business (like IBM did). The best resource for ThinkPad back in the days was ThinkWiki. Yes it is primarily Linux-based information (like what hardware is compatible , hardware inventories, etc) but also for a potential buyer and Windows user its invaluable. Best is to read reviews and look into your needs. Needing a laptop is pretty vague. Remember there is no perfect product, each has + and -. If I were to buy a new laptop and it wouldn't be an Apple, it'd likely be a ThinkPad. I have good experience with IBM/Lenovo's ThinkPad. Even their commercials were funny.

10+ Year Old Account
    i just worked on two separate thinkpads, both almost 10 years old and both built like a tank and still going strong

if i have one thing to say about asus, pray that you don't have to call their support, it's some of the most terrible i have ever seen, dropped phone calls and outright lying are not what you should have to deal with when you have a problem with a notebook

i can't speak for lenovo's support because i've never had to call it

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    [...]

i can't speak for lenovo's support because i've never had to call it
    I had to deal with them. Professionals. Straight to the point.