Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Should death have more of a penalty?

Im not talking a Diablo 3 HC penalty or even something like in Ultima Online where if you died mobs looted your corpse and if you didnt make it back in time you lost all your gear. But I think death should have some kind of penalty. Also no repairs dont count. Seeing how everyone has thousands of gold and repair costs were nerfed and are now next to nothing unless you penalty rez. Also repairs are usually covered by guild funds anyways. So I dont think thats really a penalty. I just think death should have more of a penalty than it does. It would make people better players because it did in other games that had penalties. If you knew that dying meant an exp loss and a long walk back you would think twice about breaking CC or not assisting the tank. Hell can you even die anymore in this game unless you are doing a raid?

10+ Year Old Account
    No.

No because hc progression involves hundreds of wipes.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilly32 View Post
    Hell can you even die anymore in this game unless you are doing a raid?
    PvP says hello

Quote Originally Posted by Brash View Post
    PvP says hello
    Well my take on PvP deaths would get flamed as I believe in corpse looting so lets keep this to PvE only.

---------- Post added 2013-01-10 at 08:26 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    No.

No because hc progression involves hundreds of wipes.
    But what if Mass Rez was also granted the ability to restore the lost Exp?

Deleted
    Death in dungeons: Ghostform at entrance, unable to zone in while an encounter is in progress. Standard 10% durability loss.
    Every time you die, you receive a (stacking) debuff for 10 minutes. Each stack adds 10% damage increase while decreasing movement speed by 10%.

Death in battlegrounds: Enemy players can loot your corpse and take some of your honor points. 5% durability loss.
    Every time you die, you receive a (stacking) debuff for 10 minutes. Each stack adds 10% damage increase while decreasing movement speed by 10%.

Outdoor deaths: Every time you die, you receive a (stacking) debuff for 10 minutes. Each stack adds 10% damage decrease, while increasing movement speed by 10%. At 100%, you will instantly be returned to the spirit healer and will become a "dishonorable kill" to the enemy faction for 10 minutes.

Killing dishonorable targets will remove %level% honor points and transfer them to the killed enemy player.
    Last edited by mmocf5e5a6d2c7; 2013-01-10 at 01:34 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    No.

I played Aion and had xp loss on death and it was by far one of my least favorite aspects of that game. I'm very glad that the other MMOs I've played don't have that and honestly I doubt that Blizzard would ever add that to this game. The player base would not adjust to it unless it had been in the game from the start, and they'd probably even lose a lot of subs over it.

While most people could agree that adding something like aoe looting was an overall improvement, you'd find that adding xp loss on death would have much less agreement among the player base. It's the same concept as removing flying mounts, some people might like it but a lot hate it. People don't like change unless most can agree it's for the better. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Gnowo View Post
    Death in battlegrounds: Enemy players can loot your corpse and take some of your honor points.
    I never thought of this. This is the best alternative to corpse looting and still makes dying in PvP bad. Right now BGs are just zerg fests and no one cares about dying cause you lose nothing but buffs. This is a great idea wish they would add it.

Would higher penalties for dying make WoW more fun?
    Longer corpse walks? Experience loss? I don't think so.

Walking back to your corpse is penalty enough!

You:
    - waste time by having to walk back to the corpse.
    - waste time by having to start over with the killing of the far to many mobs or deadly single mob you were trying to kill.
    - waste time by having to get repairs in the end, which is annoying if you're in a dungeon.
    - waste money.
    - start with little health so you're vulnerable.
    - lose most of buffs

You die from time to time due to poor mob-control/pulling, or that they have fairly strong abilities which makes it difficult to survive if you pulled too many. Or maybe you misjudged the height of a fall, or slipped when trying to get a mining node placed in a very difficult position in a mountainside. Most of the time is during raid/dungeon or by gankers out there, and it would be frusterating to get like a debuff or suddenly not be lvl90 anymore, so you couldnt use your gear in a raid encounter, or people actually causes negative progress on your character by camping your corpse.
    I have never seen anyone who didn't care about death, even though the consequences for your character aren't that bad, you can't continue playing for a few minutes, and it's kinda like losing the game, so people are trying hard to avoid it.
    Mother pus bucket!

10+ Year Old Account
    Death is fine. It's the biggest gold sink in the game., doesn't need to be made worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Uggorthaholy View Post
    Thanks but no thanks, Lora, for making me question everything in existence forever.

Do you know how angry most of the players would be if they added penalties to Deaths?

Just keep it how is. It's enough shame to have to walk back to your corpse or even have to repair your gear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

Deleted
    Hell no.

People already ragequit after one wipe, I don't want to imagine what would happen if penalty was harsh.

While I, too, think that we shouldn't take the D3 Hardcore stance (dead means dead), I think we could improve on the death experience. Frankly I would like to see all talents and glyphs reset at death and a reagent required for reinstating them. Along with that we could also purge the victims action bars to show that they have "forgotten" who they were during rebirth.
    A -5% penalty to all reputations, but not demoting to a lower reputation level, would also be a good idea - would they recognize you?
    The same could be done for professions.
    I would also instate a stacking debuff, as has been suggested, that makes your character weaker. This way we punish people who fail repeatedly (even if they are not to blame, e.g. anything done in a group) and make sure that, by weaking them, they fail even more and harder. This would weed out the scrubs, bads, casuals and the opposing faction (dear reader, please choose who to bash on). This stacking debuff could be done in a way that if you reached e.g. 10 stacks, your character looses its specialization and you have to return to a class trainer of your race.

All in all, I think these suggestions would put players on a good track to quitting. The game is way too easy and convenient, and finally someone's stepping in to do something about it. Dear OP, I have no clue where your wish for a bigger death penalty comes from, but I wish you good luck and health for your future endeavours.

P.S. If you don't understand my post, read only the underlined letters.
    Last edited by Tarjon; 2013-01-10 at 01:45 PM. Reason: spelling

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Death penalty in WoW is actually quite high and annoying. If you are doing World pvp be prepared to prolly have to wait 2 minutes to take your body back... (I always found t retarded, kinda kills the WPVP)

Maybe it could be a good idea to give such time penalty for pve death (out of dungeons) and remove it from pvp. After all, if you die out in a pve environment it's most likely your fault, but in wpvp you might have died because 6 players nuked you.. nothing to do there.

nah, I remember original EQ penalty when it first started, had people pleading with me offering their first born for a port just to get back to their corpse before their body poofed with all their gear. (I had a druid so port and sow)

Quote Originally Posted by Gnowo View Post
    Death in battlegrounds: Enemy players can loot your corpse and take some of your honor points. 5% durability loss.
    Terrible idea.
    1) Promotes standing in a corner or hiding as you would die less that way while still getting honor.
    2) Bad players and low geared chars would receive higher repair bills and harsher penalties for playing BG's.
    3) Makes it even easier for the dominant team to totally squash the opponent due to the speed debuff.
    4) Would promote graveyard camping to get the speed debuff of the opponents to maximum level.

15+ Year Old Account
    Need the EQ penalty of deleveling if you wipe and having everyone relevel back up to cap to be able to attempt a raid boss again.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Eve online has a reasonable penalty for death. You'll find people still manage to fly around in and lose very geared out ships.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleros View Post
    Need the EQ penalty of deleveling if you wipe and having everyone relevel back up to cap to be able to attempt a raid boss again.
    ..That is absolutely awful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

Deleted
    No, the idea of losing exp or gaining debuffs will alienate a lot of people in the game, INCLUDING the hardcores who hit heroic raiding. Why would you punish someone who couldn't kill a mob by making them die to the mob easier and quicker? That's absolutely ridiculous, given how the general mantra of WoW progression is learning by mistake. You hit a boss, kills you, you recognise what you did that killed you, you try again and avoid said thing that killed you.

Death is fine in the game as it is. Absolutely no reason to change it.

EDIT
    would also like to add that corpse looting would be another bad idea for WoW. We all know that the classes are not balanced at all. This will lead to increased whining, rage quitting, and everyone rolling only the ForM to be able to keep their kit.

it will not work on WoW
    Last edited by mmoce4b3921880; 2013-01-10 at 01:56 PM.