Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Heroic Feng: Demonology Q's

Hey guys -

I'm pretty decent at Affliction having ranked on most fights, but our guild was having some issues killing the adds last week during shield phase. I went demonlogy, and while my AoE increased it only felt like it was because of my Felguard(s). My personal damage felt quite low. Can anyone walk me through the AoE rotation of of Demonlogy with and without Metamorph. The only reason I'm asking for this is because there seems to be a bit of confusion between information resources on the best way to AoE. I've read some where it suggests to (at the start of adds) ::

Hand of Gul'dan > Corruption all targets > Demon Form > Immolation Aura > Doom All targets > Void Ray (during this process you should be having your pet felstorm/wrath storm/whatever.)

I've also seen:
    Hand of Gul'Dan > Demon Form > Immolation Aura > Void Ray (replace with Harvest Life in some cases) > manage pet.

Also, for you Demonology fans, (Jessicka, I'm looking at you!!!) should I bother to reforge for this fight? What are the stat priorities for Demonology (the community seems very confused on these, at least to me).
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Femto/advanced

Finally, just looking for confirmation here, during trinket procs and Darksoul is the times I want to spend my demonic fury for single target, otherwise I want to be maintaining my fury around 800 to 900. Prior to entering a lone TOC spam, I should be putting up Hand of Gul'dan and ensuring corruption is up before beginning to smash my 1 key until it falls off.

Like I said---love affliction and know it like the back of my hand. Usually would know demonology the same by now but real life is keeping me from spending the amount of time needed to do the proper research without asking for a hand.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Personally I go destro for this fight. As long as you spec into Mannoroth and have a few embers, you can easily produce 4+mm dps on 10-man heroic.

Since the window is only 15-20 seconds, i don't see corruption and doom as particularly useful. I no longer play demo since MoP, but here is my advice:

The add phase is the only challenging part (dps-wise) to the entire encounter so I suggest building and saving enough demonic fury to last the 20-second window. you should be spec into Mannoroth's Fury, blow your cool downs right before the adds pop, use your HoGx2, service demon, pop your intfernal, immo aura. I don't know what you would do from here (spam void ray or harvest life?).

This might not be a standard Demo AOE rotation, but you need to maximize damage in a short window. For example, if Chaos Wave does more damage than HoG, save your charges for after you pop Meta. You only need 20 seconds worth of Demonic Fury after all.
    Last edited by Scathbais; 2013-01-09 at 04:09 PM.
    “I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: ‘O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.’ And God granted it.” -- Voltaire

"He who awaits much can expect little" -- Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Deleted
    Gara'jal shield phase?

There's a problem here, are you talking about Feng shield phase, or Gara'jal spirit realm?

Quote Originally Posted by Filth the Warlock View Post
    Gara'jal shield phase?

There's a problem here, are you talking about Feng shield phase, or Gara'jal spirit realm?
    Sorry, Filth. I just realized that I did mess up the title-it is Feng. No excuse for something so dumb but I'm running on about 3hours of sleep. Wife and I recently moved and things have been hectic. Combine that with leading a raid, staying knowledgable of your toon for progression and general guild issues that must be sorted by me, I'm running a little ragged. Sorry, my mind isn't working so well. :P

I don't know if I can change the title, is that possible?

Deleted
    Calm down bad boy, no need to apologize. I just wanted to know which, so that I could provide tips !
    I don't know if you can change the title.

I did it as affliction and pulled off extreme numbers on the adds. If you struggle to kill them this means they'll be alive for a while and your dots will get a reasonable uptime, so what I did was that I had our raid save cooldowns for the add phases. You cancel every other with the nullifying bubble thingie that you simply plant ontop of the shield that the boss throws.
    So everybody saving cooldowns for the addphases and stacking at the opposite end of the platform from where the boss is going to throw the shield, you then pop cooldowns and nuke the adds down, as a warlock you pool 4 shards and soulburn soulswap onto 4/5 and manually dot the 5th, after which you nuke it with haunts/malefics and drainsoul execute it to get the shards back, which you spend on haunts for killing the rest of them. Haunt bombardment -> Drain Soul to get the shards back is very effective for finishing off the odd ones out.
    Have your tanks help with killing the adds and make sure they are slowed and stunned. And make sure your raid is properly stacked so that the others can aoe them down, while you do what I described above.

Though as demo, I imagine that this is how you do it, although I haven't done it:
    Hand of Gul'dan -> Meta -> Immolation Aura -> Chaos Wave -> Felstorm while you spam Touch of Chaos. I never liked Void Ray, but it might be better.
    If everybody pools their cooldowns and resources it shouldn't be too hard to bring it down.

Also, you might transition the boss during the AOE, at which point it is vital that the boss is tanked closest to the fist weapon and not the spear. I assume you're doing it the Staff -> Shield -> Fist -> Spear way.

What I did when we killed the boss first time and I was kinda forced to go Demo was 2x HoG + Felstorm (x2 if you run GoServ) -> Corruption on all targets -> HoG if available then pop Meta, put up Immo Aura and channel Harvest Life followed by Touch of Chaos when you feel you should start focusing single adds. If you have DS up you probably wanna switch the order of Corruption and Felstorm(s) and pop it for your pets before you enter Meta.

But tbh Affli is fine for the job too. Soulburn a glyphed Agony on all adds and you provide an insane slow. SB:SS one target and then SB:SoC follewd by normal SoC spam. There used to be a problem with the effectiveness of SoC but after the 5.1 change you can just spam it on target that has dots on it without the need of detonating it with Fel Flame/Malefic Grasp.

first time we were downing this guy i had to drop infernal on one of the adds, and carrion swarming to knock em back lol.

They aren't getting anywhere near the boss, that's not the problem. We were running out of time at which point he automatically sucks them into the shield.

Our protection warrior, druid and a few others are doing excellent jobs with push backs and stuns (mine included.) We just didn't meet the damage quota on the first few attempts. We did kill him, I just want to ensure that our transition is smooth this time to the final phase rather than hectic and too close for comfort.

@Filth - Was calm, just tired. Very tired.

Deleted
    I went demo for our first feng kill, we had 4 add waves, 3 of them were covered via the tanks shield - one was dpsed down.

GOServ fits that scenario best.
    Pop Meta just before the adds spawn, COEAura + demon soul before they spawn, immo aura when they spawn, GOserv + double chaos wave and then either harvest life or void ray, depends how stacked they are - we often had them in a position where VR wouldn't hit them all. Spam TOC when there's just stragglers left.

That was before the chaos wave nerf - but I doubt it's worth sacrificing meta uptime for HOGs.

Only stayed demo for our first kill though iirc, maybe second, since then I've been fine doing it as affliction.

I'm gonna assume you do this but I've seen groups not doing it so just gonna point it out. Make sure that you raid is at max distance from the boss when he puts up the shield. Then just have your tank move the boss to the group so you can cleave from it.

Also you can have Druids do their AOE that pulls the mobs towards it, DKs grasp, Shadowfury stun, monk leg sweep, shamans knock back, Druid knickknack, and every other one you can use the shield to make the adds do nothing. I wouldn't sacrifice your DPS for one phase to AOE tbh.

I personally run as affliction, SB-Elements the adds and SB-SC the boss then aoe off the boss. If your raid has a single dk have him spec into that grab stuff back talent and its gg. 10 man will need to dps alot harder on adds than on 25. Also what helped us on 10 was to aim for 4 shield throws, two of which are bubbled out one we used cds and the other we used hero/lust. If shield is absolutely wrecking you and the healers can keep up the raid in other phases do shield first to get the extra dps out of pots. Our order is Arcane/EQ/Shield/Fire. Once you make it to the final phase with you raid up its a free kill unless someone firebombs the raid.

We one shot it last night. This is what we did. (Thanks for the input, it helped me square away my add DPS.)

I ran as Demonology. We used barrier on the first shield, DPS'd down the second shield and used barrier again on the third. It was a cake walk. I had our DK grip one to him, then Gorefiends Grasp them time. Raid did their AOE. I found Void Ray to yield more DPS. When they spawned and in no particular order especially relating to the pet, I sent my Felguard at them, GoServ., Command Demon, Hand of Gul'dan, meta, Chaos Wave, Immolation Aura, void ray spam. Worked like a charm, they fell over dead. My AoE damage was a little low, but will change when I get more comfortable with Demonology again.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Grats Femto. We also found that barrier/aoe adds/barrier again was the best way to handle the Shield phase.
    “I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: ‘O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.’ And God granted it.” -- Voltaire

"He who awaits much can expect little" -- Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Femto1 View Post
    I sent my Felguard at them, GoServ., Command Demon, Hand of Gul'dan, meta, Chaos Wave, Immolation Aura, void ray spam.
    A couple of quick pointers to improve AOE.

Pool your two stacks of HoG and cast it twice and switch straight into meta. That way you get both a double-stacked shadowflame dot and the %damage increase of meta form. (Don't use Chaos wave if you can avoid it - only if they are about to die and you have a stack come up during meta)

Also use Dark Soul:Knowledge before you get your felguard/service felguard to felstorm - they will benefit from the +mastery effect too.

If you don't need the knockback you can also glyph your Carrion Swarm and use that to get a little more dps.

I typically use my pot on this AoE on Feng - we usually only dps one set of adds.

Quote Originally Posted by Scathbais View Post
    Grats Femto. We also found that barrier/aoe adds/barrier again was the best way to handle the Shield phase.
    Thanks!!! We had killed him last week - the adds were just a lot closer than this week. We had plenty of extra time this week. We 3 healed the fight, I don't know if that's different from what most of you guys are doing or not.

Deleted
    Thanks!!! We had killed him last week - the adds were just a lot closer than this week. We had plenty of extra time this week. We 3 healed the fight, I don't know if that's different from what most of you guys are doing or not.
    I think most people 3 heal it. Good luck on Gara'jal, I assume he's next.
    Affliction rocks there, SB:SSing all the adds inside drain soul executing for more SB:SSing

Quote Originally Posted by Filth the Warlock View Post
    I think most people 3 heal it. Good luck on Gara'jal, I assume he's next.
    Affliction rocks there, SB:SSing all the adds inside drain soul executing for more SB:SSing
    Indeed, and he's down too.

Our raid lined up the totems perfectly so that I was in the spirit realm nearly every time when the banishment occured. This allowed me to SB:SS the Spirit Severers (or whatever they are called) and my dots nearly killed them by themselves.

We also killed Elegon last week. Quick question: Do any of you 3 heal Elegon? We did and ended up with 1.5 minutes left on enrage timer. We did 8 attempts on Spirit Kings and decided to move on. We were running out of time for raid and people kept getting hit by things like the frontal cone AOE; it drives me nuts because they avoided all of the new mechanics just fine. The normal ones, hoever...

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry, Filth. I just realized that I did mess up the title-it is Feng.

I don't know if I can change the title, is that possible?
    Should have PM'd me or another moderator of the warlock forums, now it took till me actually bothering to open this thread to see that the title was wrong >.<

Ah well, title changed now.

Deleted
    When I used to do it as Demo, I just poped meta, the second felgaurd, immolation aura, 2 chaos waves and then harvest life.
    Don't know if it's the best but I know I did the most damage on them very often, and that we failed zero times.