Thread: Wow Reboot idea

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Wow Reboot idea

I always find the Vanilla and/or BC server requests really interesting. I know some people hate the idea and others fawn over it, but here's a bit of a curveball.

What if Blizzard offered a special competition server where everything started at lvl 1. No transfers. No heirlooms. You level a toon to 60 and then XP automatically turns off until you complete all lvl 60 raids. When you complete them all, a quest opens up that takes you to outland. Same thing at level 70. You're required to go through all raid content without skipping any bosses to get a questline that allows you to go to Northrend. Repeat at level 80. Repeat at level 85. Repeat at 90.

This could just be a special type of server for people that wish they could run old content at appropriate levels. By joining the server, you'd know there would be people wanting to do that content in order to progress rather than skipping it. It wouldn't be on normal Wow servers so people could continue as usual on those.

Blizzard could tune some of the old raids to accommodate newer classes and abilities. I think it would be fun. Would be fun to see some server firsts on that server as people go from 1-90.

Thoughts? love? hate? meh?

Won't happen.

/thread
    Jsz
    <Losers Club> US-Alliance

d u m b c a s u a l s l u t

Waste of time and resources.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Sounds fun / interesting.

Also improbable.

...but no less interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by jsz View Post
    Won't happen.

/thread
    I bet you're tons of fun to be around irl. Do you really need to post that as a response as opposed to just thinking it and moving on? lol.

---------- Post added 2013-01-11 at 01:20 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by phillipisawarlock View Post
    Waste of time and resources.
    you hear that argument a lot. what exactly is being wasted? a server costs too much to operate? tweaking a few health pools is too intensive? i doubt it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by piin View Post
    I bet you're tons of fun to be around irl. Do you really need to post that as a response as opposed to just thinking it and moving on? lol.

you hear that argument a lot. what exactly is being wasted? a server costs too much to operate? tweaking a few health pools is too intensive? i doubt it.
    if you dont allow people to disagree with you then your subject for conversation is not valid.
    My channel: Shirgadirth I used to do let's play's but now I do reviews, but not very often. Far too busy from school. Also too poor to buy games :P

Quote Originally Posted by Bladeface View Post
    if you dont allow people to disagree with you then your subject for conversation is not valid.
    I agree with you. (cwutididthar?) But disagreeing is not the same thing as drive by commenting. When someone declares "won't happen" and "/thread" that's not useful dialogue. It's just internet rudeness on display.

Deleted
    no
    10chars

Infracted. Please post constructively.
    Last edited by Rivellana; 2013-01-11 at 01:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spraytwist View Post
    no
    10chars
    now you're just messing with me. I want to tickle you irl and put a whip cream pie in your face.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tbh with you, I actually really like this idea. Yet I know it won't or might happen, it would've been more fun in the beginning, but as of right now, many people would complain.

To support your idea of why I like it, I can say I think it would make sense to kill the Lich King to move on to Deathwing and so forth. It would give people a good idea what you're aiming for in that set expansion rather than getting to 80 and skipping right over to Cataclysm.

To futher support it, they could have a normal only server as well as one for casuals. For casuals for example, you would have to complete all dungeons in an expansion and do LFR to do the raids. Once you complete the last raid of the expansion, you move on to the next. The normal would be formed groups rather than LFG.

Gosh, thinking about it now, this would've been awesome and more enjoyable for my take. Of course they would have to add LFR to old content as well as tune them. But maybe, just maybe...
    I cried alone every single night. It felt like every day that passed here stole another piece of my real life away. After i cried, I’d go and fight as hard as I could. My only thought was winning, moving forward, and getting stronger. — Asuna Yuuki

Quote Originally Posted by Shininglight View Post
    Tbh with you, I actually really like this idea. Yet I know it won't or might happen, it would've been more fun in the beginning, but as of right now, many people would complain.

To support your idea of why I like it, I can say I think it would make sense to kill the Lich King to move on to Deathwing and so forth. It would give people a good idea what you're aiming for in that set expansion rather than getting to 80 and skipping right over to Cataclysm.

To futher support it, they could have a normal only server as well as one for casuals. For casuals for example, you would have to complete all dungeons in an expansion and do LFR to do the raids. Once you complete the last raid of the expansion, you move on to the next. The normal would be formed groups rather than LFG.

Gosh, thinking about it now, this would've been awesome and more enjoyable for my take. Of course they would have to add LFR to old content as well as tune them. But maybe, just maybe...
    Yeah! You're pumping me up. They've got all this beautiful artwork that people who bought Wow in WOTLK and later never got to see (or never saw it as intended). Seems like a GOOD use of resources to me.

They both happen to be correct, an idea is really only a valid idea if there is a chance of it happening.

Besides you have the mechanics in game to do this yourself, you dont need blizzard for it. So get to it and let us know how you go.
    Last edited by Hakto; 2013-01-11 at 01:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hakto View Post
    They both happen to be correct, an idea is really only a valid idea if there is a chance of it happening.

Besides you have the mechanics in game to do this yourself, you dont need blizzard for it.
    are a significant percentage of posters on this site robots? *robot voice* "no. cannot happen. will not happen. does not compute."

Valid ideas are born in strange ways my friend. As for needing Blizzard to do it or not, of course you are correct. I can turn off xp and run the raids. Some people do it. I'm thinking it would be fun to have a server where that is the design. Kind of like an RP server groups people who dig RP. or a PVP server, etc. Frankly I think a lot of you just need to eat a Snickers and cheer up.

Quite a bit of resources would go towards creating the server. It's not like they can just make a new one with spare parts sitting around the office. They'll also need a few GMs dedicated to just that server and part of the Dev team will have to troubleshoot this server that works differently.

Not to mention that the projected profit from doing this would be small enough that it would likely be cut before it ever went live.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

10+ Year Old Account
    What's the point of that when you could just do that yourself, now? You could level from 1 - 60 without heirlooms, turn off your XP, do the raids, turn it back on, and move on to TBC.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWindWalker View Post
    Not to mention that the projected profit from doing this would be small enough that it would likely be cut before it ever went live.
    They'd make nothing, compared to the costs. All new World of Warcraft coding, time spent developing (costs money!), new servers, new people to handle those servers OR using existing people which just stretches resources more...

Well even just talking about old expansion servers in general, Blizzard has basically said they won't because there isn't enough interest in them to justify all the resources they'd need to create and maintain them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    What's the point of that when you could just do that yourself, now? You could level from 1 - 60 without heirlooms, turn off your XP, do the raids, turn it back on, and move on to TBC.

The point was mentioned above. Grouping together of people who want to raid through the game at appropriate level. I'm not sure you can convince me that having an XP on/off code is some massive undertaking.

They'd make nothing, compared to the costs. All new World of Warcraft coding, time spent developing (costs money!), new servers, new people to handle those servers OR using existing people which just stretches resources more...
    As for resources... there are TONS of nearly dead servers at this point. Merge a few low pop servers... POW! you have a server available.

I'm AMAZING at problem solving. yeah me.

I actually think this is an awesome idea. I would probably even pay extra money every month just to play on a server like that. I mean I don't see why they couldn't do it either. They already have the arena tournament servers and this would more or less be a Pve version of it.

As for resources... there are TONS of nearly dead servers at this point. Merge a few low pop servers... POW! you have a server available.

I'm AMAZING at problem solving. yeah me.

Sorry, but you're not.

At first it would work, but eventually you will have a server filled with 90's and it will be like any other server. The majority will want to have max level characters to do current content, so i don't see there always being a healthy pool of level 60/70/80/85 characters to do the pre-existing content.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope. Screw that. They'll likely make challenge modes out of old raids.