Page 1 of 15
... LastLast

Will WoW ever go F2Play?

It seems a lot of MMOs are now shifting to the Free to Play model. Just wondering if Blizzard will do the same? Also if they dont and future MMOs will adopt the free to play model will that hurt WoW?

Deleted
    I hope not, that would be a really bad move. The value of the game drops a lot when it goes f2p

Deleted
    Ever ? Who knows.

In the near future ( 15-20 years ) ? No.

15+ Year Old Account
    I really hope not. So much that will degrade then.

Quote Originally Posted by Thopp View Post
    I hope not, that would be a really bad move. The value of the game drops a lot when it goes f2p
    What if they kept it GW2 style where its still free with no sub but you still have full access to everything and can play the game normally even if you never pay.

Do I ever hope it does, then these people with the misconception that free to play means a drop in quality would finally realize that's not true.

WoW doesn't even offer that much content or quality, and WoW's profit margin and the amount they spend on other games goes to show how little (relative to the total) goes back into WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilly32 View Post
    What if they kept it GW2 style where its still free with no sub but you still have full access to everything and can play the game normally even if you never pay.
    That makes no sense at all, and you are just repeating yourself.

Not with the amount of subscribers it has, it would be really really stupid. If sub numbers dropped to like 2 million or something, then maybe, but it's gonna take a really long time before that happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuex View Post
    That makes no sense at all, and you are just repeating yourself.
    Lilly means buy to play, he/she is just explaining it poorly.

As for the topic, not any time soon. If world wide subs ever got to below a million they would probably think about it at least.

10+ Year Old Account
    Someday maybe. Not while they're making as much money with it as they are now though.

Plenty of MMO's are adopting F2P and it's probably had some effect on WoW but the game is still a license to print money for Blizzard.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

I hope not. I hate the F2P model. I have to go to the goddamn store to get almost anything. That's lame-sauce.

Deleted
    Only when the number of subscribers drops below 200.000, which will never happen

Deleted
    many mmos shift to F2P because these are bad games that failed. WoW is doing great, so no, sorry.

Deleted
    prehaps some day, but not yet its doing far too well to go F2P atm.

anyway if they finally do, i hope they dnt go the way EA/Bioware did with SWTOR did. thats a pretty messed up F2P model.

Quote Originally Posted by felhunter View Post
    prehaps some day, but not yet its doing far too well to go F2P atm.

anyway if they finally do, i hope they dnt go the way EA/Bioware did with SWTOR did. thats a pretty messed up F2P model.
    SWTOR's system is a complete joke, there's no argument about it.

I personally would really, really like it if WoW moved to a GW2 model.

doubt it.. it prints money and whatnot.

i would really love it it went B2P tho. like their other games.
    I like my coffe like my mages.

Games go to the F2P because they cannot really compete with WoW.
    Quote Originally Posted by lakers01 View Post
    Those damn liberal colleges! Can you believe they brainwash people into thinking murder is wrong! And don't get me started with all that critical thinking bullshit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    I'm being trickled on from above. Wait that's not money.

Quote Originally Posted by Thopp View Post
    Pretty sure many MMOs experience massive profits once they go f2p.

Also to answer the question, it eventually will once the popularity goes below 2 or 3 million, not all games last forever

Quote Originally Posted by Lilly32 View Post
    It seems a lot of MMOs are now shifting to the Free to Play model. Just wondering if Blizzard will do the same? Also if they dont and future MMOs will adopt the free to play model will that hurt WoW?
    Most MMO's that go free to play either think they have a very good F2P model or they didn't succes in a subscribtion model and went F2P because otherwise the game would have died.

I don't think Blizzard feels like WoW is in one of the categories and neither do I.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey111 View Post
    Pretty sure many MMOs experience massive profits once they go f2p.

Also to answer the question, it eventually will once the popularity goes below 2 or 3 million, not all games last forever
    That could very well be something that tanks them down to under 1M subs though. F2P is a terrible idea for a game so firmly established and deeply rooted. People will quit before they pay money to raid, and then more to pvp, and then even more to pickup gear to do either, when it's been covered by a reasonable sub, along with everything else in the game for years.