Page 21 of 48 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by irongar View Post
    ... What does "IP" stand for... damn abbreviations
    Could also say franchise. Diablo is a franchise, Warcraft is a franchise, Alien is a franchise, Terminator is a franchise, etc.

Deleted
    IP = Intellectual Property.

Anyways, let's see where this leads, eh? :P

Quote Originally Posted by candleshoes View Post
    Titan... or should I say, Atlas
    Awesome. To me, this setting would be different enough to justify "new IP."

The potential is pretty massive if they get this right.

I think it's better they stick to no forced factions than push for three. Dark Age of Camelot tried for three, and that didn't work out any better than the two used in WoW. Have various NPC factions you can work for sure, but fragmenting the playerbase causes you to have to make that many times more content that only 35-50% of your playerbase will see. It would be better to have "guild warfare" or how RIFT does it where both sides can group outside of battlegrounds.

I would also prefer skill-based development paths, instead of just classes and level caps. Allows players to fine-tune their characters more to the way they would like to play. And an improvement on Everquest's old Alt. Advancement system would be nice as well -- providing players with a near limitless ability to progress their character in ways that aren't directly tied to gear grinding. (And you would pretty much have to go this path if the gearing was more like Ultima Online and/or SWG crafting)

Quote Originally Posted by stellvia View Post
    By accessible I firmly believe that means going after the "fratboy" crowd. AKA those that play COD, Madden, etc. They're a potentially huge fanbase with not a lot of overlap with WoW that they could get into paying a monthly subscription.
    Blizzard is not stupid enough to make a game that their WoW fans won't want to play, but they are also not so dumb as to ignore the impact a game like COD has (for better or worse). I think accessible means, people that like SC2, WoW, D3, and COD will find something in this game.

First off, i think they'll have a battle.net sub at some point. 1 sub and i can play both titan and wow.

Secondly, i think this game might mimic what EVE is doing. FPS game (Dust) that can interact with the intergalactic part. Let's face it, EVE is an amazing concept, but most people are too stupid to play it. SO, take that idea and make it understandable (like they did with EQ to make WoW).

Of course they will add much more to it. I bet leveling and xp might be more global and go towards colonies instead of an individual character. You might have access to different characters you make, but your account is more of an overworld view of everything you've worked towards. This could allow for RTS, FPS, Flight sim, and WoW-like gameplay all in one game.

Quote Originally Posted by Headswillroll View Post
    I'd rather go with world of starcraft. Kinda tired of fantasy mmorpgs.
    My thinking aswell. Starcraft MMO would be just awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Conbot View Post
    Secondly, i think this game might mimic what EVE is doing. FPS game (Dust) that can interact with the intergalactic part. Let's face it, EVE is an amazing concept, but most people are too stupid to play it. SO, take that idea and make it understandable (like they did with EQ to make WoW).
    I wouldn't say that many people are too stupid to play EVE, and more that for how unique EVE is amongst MMOs, it has a lot of flaws. Remember that it pre-dates WoW even by at least a year, so the underlying tech is old. And it's maintained by a company with not a lot of budget to realize its ambitions.

My biggest perceived flaws of EVE: The UI is clunky, slow, and non-extendable. A lot of the sense of exploration is removed from the game when 75% of the systems are owned by various alliances that will shoot you on sight. Griefing is rampant in finding ways to game the system. PvP action is few and far between, very impersonal (staring at a targeting avatar of their ship), and largely comes down to memorizing what ship matchups are viable or you just don't engage at all.

Borders are far too porous to the point it isn't practical to really utilize all the industrial capabilities provided in the game. You risk too much actually trying to take a Rorqual, Orca, buncha Hulks, etc. out on a mining OP when they can easily be tackled and popped by roaming enemy gangs. Not to mention any major mining operation will strip a belt of worthwhile minerals in like 20mins flat. (Not to mention that overall, miners need ratters to clear belts for them to even do their jobs/use their ships. But ratters can rat all the want, and stand a chance at getting away or defending themselves in the case of enemy gangs entering the system.)

I would say that if anyone were to refine on the EVE concept and release an MMO, industrial operations should be possible without "fighters" help, a system designed around less sociopathic griefing, and more frequent pvp opportunities/ easier replacement of ships. IMHO you should put down a claim on a belt and it should be possible to maintain operations there for at least days -- but the effort would be in surveying the belt, and mining a type of whackamole system similar to combat in order to efficiently break up the asteroid without damaging your equipment, gas explosion, etc.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
    http://titanfocus.info/_/news/titan-...more-rumor-r60

The guy, who a year before anyone ever heard the name Titan was already speaking of a Project Titan being developed by Blizzard, and who claims to have contact to someone at Blizzard, says that Blizzard wasn't 100% honest about whether Titan is going to be a new IP. He says it's going to be a spin-off of an existing franchise. He hints that it might be Diablo-related. You can read his original posts in the article.

edit: 2 things are frequently said by several posters.

1. Blizzard said it's an original IP
    Yes, they did, but this topic is about how someone with an inside source claims, that this is not entirely true. If there wasn't at least something like this as a basis I wouldn't have made this thread. So please read the linked article.

2. Where have they said it's an MMORPG?

Here http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-be-an-MMORPG?
    Titan won't compete with WoW.

Also, by Diablo MMO do we mean Diablo 1-2 or the Disney game that was Diablo 3?

Quote Originally Posted by stellvia View Post
    I wouldn't say that many people are too stupid to play EVE
    Good points.

All these flaws you see in the game sort of re-enforce my feelings. Blizzard has always been known to take solid concepts and polish the crap out of them. I just think Titan is going to be broad. Meaning you can do many types of activities and play the game many different ways. All the talk about Sims and world building lead me to believe that you could play this game solely economically if you wanted to. Some people will prefer combat only, some won't, and some will do a mixture of both.

Please for the love of Blizzard and everything on this sweet earth let it be a new IP.

Diablo 3 was massive disappointment, and even though I enjoy Sci-Fi, I've never really been a fan of Starcraft nor it's lore. I really, REALLY hope this guy is wrong this time and it IS a fresh IP and we finally get a new franchise out of Blizzard, they've had more then enough time over the years to think of some interesting new concept/s, I don't see why their new MMO would be restricted to their current game franchises when they surely could have thought up something new by now.

Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Cyberpunk .. whatever, it doesn't matter to me, so long as it's something new!

Quote Originally Posted by Daverid View Post
    Please for the love of Blizzard and everything on this sweet earth let it be a new IP.

Diablo 3 was massive disappointment, and even though I enjoy Sci-Fi, I've never really been a fan of Starcraft nor it's lore. I really, REALLY hope this guy is wrong this time and it IS a fresh IP and we finally get a new franchise out of Blizzard, they've had more then enough time over the years to think of some interesting new concept/s, I don't see why their new MMO would be restricted to their current game franchises when they surely could have thought up something new by now.

Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Cyberpunk .. whatever, it doesn't matter to me, so long as it's something new!
    Not going to happen. I can't see a company putting so much money and effort on one untested set. Who would be crazy to do that?

Quote Originally Posted by Conbot View Post
    I think accessible means, people that like SC2, WoW, D3, and COD will find something in this game.
    I personally think that's what's wrong with today's Blizzard. They try to appeal to EVERYBODY ($$$) and by doing so they alienate their long-time fans.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

I honestly don't care what it is so long as it's not another fantasy themed MMO. I just can't do it any more, it's been played out. Future/Modern Day themed classic MMO? Bitchin, let's do it. Futuristic themed MMOFPS? I'm all in.

That's pretty much the only thing that'll flat out make me not play the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Moon View Post
    I personally think that's what's wrong with today's Blizzard. They try to appeal to EVERYBODY ($$$) and by doing so they alienate their long-time fans.
    They're in bed with Activision now. In Kotick They Trust(TM)

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Moon View Post
    Yeah, i'm not agreeing with it. However, i think that it's impossible for them to please all their old fans. Some fans just refuse to evolve with the company's growth.

Is everyone really happy that it's going to be an already existing IP though? Don't you guys want them to create another universe? don't you want something fresh and original?

Quote Originally Posted by TonyIommi View Post
    Is everyone really happy that it's going to be an already existing IP though? Don't you guys want them to create another universe? don't you want something fresh and original?
    I'd be perfectly happy with a SC theme. Hell I said when WoW was first announced that I would have preferred it be set in the SC universe.

I really can't see them bringing out a Diablo themed MMO so shortly after D3 release, nor a Starcraft MMO. I don't think either are really bad ideas but it just doesn't seem like something would do.

I think Blizzard are too smart to fuck WoW up, they won't let it die, they wil keep expac's incoming until either the majority of players decide they are tired of the same old formula and wan't a different kind of game, or technology changes to allow a new direction in gaming.

I was under the impression that it was a Futuristic FPS MMO based on the rumours.

My post will be far-fetched but it gives me a serious nerd-boner:

When Bioware was floating ideas internally on what franchise to develop their MMO on, Game of Thrones came up. http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/12...f-thrones-mmo/

I'd love to see a Blizzard developed MMO based on that franchise. Would be total hawtness.

I really hope they don't go with a Diablo MMO.. Diablo 3 ruined the franchise for me.
    Last edited by Abrasion; 2013-01-12 at 02:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kissme View Post
    Zerg wouldn't have to be a faction. Zerg could be an overwhelming threat with protoss and humans playable.

All that aside a Diablo MMO works from all the standard perspectives and would translate well, but I don't see it as being game breaking or original enough to acquire and maintain a solid player base. People would view it as yet another fantasy mmo.

A Starcraft MMO could have potential, but I agree with whoever said 40K is a better setting. And if it is a MMO FPS style game, Starcraft is an excellent universe to set one in. I wouldn't play it if it was an FPS, but it would be a good setting for one.

Honestly, I think Blizzard fans are hinging way too much hope on Titan, whatever it ends up being. Blizzard's recent track record hasn't been exceptional (SC2 and D3 were okay, but nothing special, recent WoW expansions are the same) and so hoping that Titan is some holy grail that will restore all faith in Blizzard products seems . . . . . foolishly naive and optimistic to put it mildly.

I personally feel that regardless of how good Titan is, it will be viewed as a failure by those who have built it up in their minds to be the next coming. Everyone seems to think it will be an amazing, innovative leap forward in the MMO genre that will be tailored to their personal style of play. The reality is that it won't be any of those things. It will be an average game with a few neat features and a whole bunch of controversial decisions that tries to appeal to everyone and so will end up not being perfect for anyone.
    I am so tired of the faction system. Everquest did fine without it. I'm completely cool with factions existing and players being able to join them and even betray them. But starting factions that you remain a part of (horde/alliance, the 3 factions of secret world, etc.); done. Splitting the player base up is so done. Seriously, any new, MMO that wants to be successful should avoid that.