Thread: No flying 5.2

Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Oh gawd, why? lol. People on a pvp server are going to cry a lot ( including me ) I really dont want another BC daily island.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Translation: Sure I could use a ground mount but I want YOU to be forced to use a ground mount because I was unable to accept change and seeing you flying around makes me unhappy, now get of my lawn ya young trouble making punks!
    The game is better if everyone is on a ground mount vs. everyone is on a flying mount.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drithiend View Post
    I disagree. Mists was designed clearly as a first step to taking things on the ground once more. <snip>
    No it wasn't. Mists was designed to keep people on the ground through the questing/levelling experience because the devs believe (as do I) that this makes for a better questing/levelling experience.

The thing is that you do that once. That process took me about a month. I took my time enjoyed the scenery, the story, the lore and all the detail that was painstakingly and lovingly added.

Once you are done with the quest/levelling process though, the benefits of being forced to stay on the ground quickly grow old and stale. I have seen Pandaria up close and personal, but now I want to get through things like dailies quickly and expediently. If I want to traverse a zone quickly, that convenience is a real boon.

I absolutely agree that the ability to use flying mounts detracts greatly from the levelling/questing experience. But for the endgame content (dailies, instances, farming, archaeology, pet battles, achievements, rare hunting etc etc etc) ie the stuff that you actually spend 90% of the game doing, the opposite is true. You want flying mounts.

So back to the original assertion: No, mists was not designed as a first step to get people back on the ground. Part of it was designed around people being restricted to ground. But for the rest it was designed for people on flying mounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolercaust View Post
    The game is better if everyone is on a ground mount vs. everyone is on a flying mount.
    No it wouldn't. It would be the same, only ten times more annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Grocalis View Post
    No it wouldn't. It would be the same, only ten times more annoying.
    Flying mounts add nothing to the game but convenience and speed, both of which are bad for the genre to this degree.

Why? Because I can enjoy the scenery? I enjoy the scenery better on a flying mount than a ground mount, I can get to places you can't see from a ground mount on a flying mount, like the north face of Kun Lai Summit, the back side of Ulduar, the top of Nordrassil.

For Rp reasons? I'm never going to wave to you when I pass you, none the less ask for grey poupon.

Because its too safe? I can run by enemies on a ground mount just as safely as flying over them, they eventually fall away and stop chasing or I am out of their ranged shots before they can fire.

Because you can't handle change and it makes you grumpy to see people enjoying something that you didn't have back in 'the good old days?" Well you got me there.

Flying mounts add nothing to the game but convenience and speed, both of which are bad for the genre to this degree.
    Convenience is bad for the genre? Ok... You know how WoW became the powerhouse it is? Convenience.

Fun part is that the Island is over populated by mobs... If you had an undergeared Unholy Horde DK like I have (I don't care much for it, I just have it to see the Horde side of things) ... that's going to be annoying as hell. Time to start stocking up on vanishing items.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TCceen View Post
    Safe? I never once thought of them as being a 'safety' tool. They are a huge fun factor to use and collect. I wanted to fly in every game I played ever since Anarchy Online, doubt I would have stayed with WoW this long without flying. Guild Wars 2's complete lack of mounts period is what drove me away.
    You might not have thought of them as that, but the fact is that they are. With the help of flying mounts you now are able to travel around the world without the risk of being attack by the opposing faction.

Convenience is bad for the genre? Ok... You know how WoW became the powerhouse it is? Convenience.
    You can't reason with people like this, they think they know better than everyone else and that their way of playing is how everyone plays. They put up polls and while 90% of the people disagree with them they just spin the data to fit their world view, "Oh they just refuse to give up their flight mounts'.

The only thing that is assured is they will never voluntarily use only ground mounts themselves unless everyone is forced to do it.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattlehunter View Post
    I remember that from wintergrasp. Immortal warriors outhealing entire raids with second wind, immune to all cc thanks to diminishing returns, oneshotting everyone with aoes and cleaves. Good times indeed.
    Which is exactly the whole point. With any luck it will result in loads of people on 90% dominated servers flocking to the smaller faction. Pretty soon a 50/50 split is achieved and the tenacity buff disappears altogether. Problem solved...

Why? Because I can enjoy the scenery? I enjoy the scenery better on a flying mount than a ground mount, I can get to places you can't see from a ground mount on a flying mount, like the north face of Kun Lai Summit, the back side of Ulduar, the top of Nordrassil.

For Rp reasons? I'm never going to wave to you when I pass you, none the less ask for grey poupon.

Because its too safe? I can run by enemies on a ground mount just as safely as flying over them, they eventually fall away and stop chasing or I am out of their ranged shots before they can fire.

Because you can't handle change and it makes you grumpy to see people enjoying something that you didn't have back in 'the good old days?" Well you got me there.
    You can enjoy the scenery from the ground. Whether or not you prefer the sights from the ground vs flying is subjective.
    Whether or not you like RP and WPvP are also subjective.
    A game whose business model is dependent on player time investment will be objectively better when people aren't zipping around completing tasks at the speed of light. Of course, I'm not arguing that the slowest possible means of travel is the best for the genre, only that the pace of things today is too quick, as evidenced by Blizzard struggling to create large amounts of content that will last a longer time.

Too much convenience can be a bad thing.

You can't reason with people like this, they think they know better than everyone else and that their way of playing is how everyone plays. They put up polls and while 90% of the people disagree with them they just spin the data to fit their world view, "Oh they just refuse to give up their flight mounts'.

The only thing that is assured is they will never voluntarily use only ground mounts themselves unless everyone is forced to do it.
    You're looking at things from a subjective standpoint. I am not.

Quote Originally Posted by Mudor View Post
    Just think of the people who play on a server where its 90% horde or 90% alliance...

the lesser faction would produce immense amounts of QQ
    Like ours ? :P

Luckily i won't be on this shit hole by the 19th.

Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    So back to the original assertion: No, mists was not designed as a first step to get people back on the ground. Part of it was designed around people being restricted to ground. But for the rest it was designed for people on flying mounts.
    All zones have been designed so that players can play in them while not being able to fly, except for very few areas like Kunzen Village in Valley of the Four Winds. Spending most of your time doing dailies, flying around while doing so, does not mean that most of the game is about flying, since dailies are repetitive tasks. Except dailies, and those few areas, most of the content is designed to be grounded.

I don't know whether this is the first step or not. I phrased it wrongly. But, judging from what has been said by the developers on the subject, and the reversal of their policy on flying, I think, and hope, it is the first step. The people at Blizzard like to change things slowly when it comes to major design decisions. And this looks to me like such a process being underway. And I think it would be nice if in the next expansion there were a couple of zones to fly in, with giant floating islands to travel to while avoiding flying patroling enemies, climate conditions that can harm your mount, and taking advantage of currents and altitude, etc. While the rest of the game was on the ground.
    Last edited by Drithien; 2013-01-11 at 03:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zephid View Post
    You might not have thought of them as that, but the fact is that they are. With the help of flying mounts you now are able to travel around the world without the risk of being attack by the opposing faction.
    See you guys are confusing one problem with another. No risk of being attacked by an opposing faction does not mean all flying mounts should be removed from the game, especially for non-pvp servers. Theres ways to solve this problem without touching flying mount access, theres already coding in the game where you can jump from one mount to another using a harpoon chain (Hodir quest chain with the wyrmride.).

By removing the flying mounts you are just throwing the baby out with the bath water. There are ways to solve this problem, far easier ways, than removing flight mounts for everyone.

MoP is not designed for ground mounts beyond questing to level 90. If it was there would be an accessable gate and path from the valley to every zone, but that would defeat the purpose and make it too convienant.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattlehunter View Post
    I remember that from wintergrasp. Immortal warriors outhealing entire raids with second wind, immune to all cc thanks to diminishing returns, oneshotting everyone with aoes and cleaves. Good times indeed.
    Warlock with the old healing armor dotting everything, a single dot killing people.

Herald of the Titans Deathgoose's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PrairieChicken View Post
    Currently flying mounts are not allowed in the Thunder Isle

WPVP Yay! One of the best patches in MoP

It would be another Quel'Danas or Tol Barad
    And for those on a PvE server, it just means... more trash to kill to be able to do dailies. Woo hoo?

Usual worthless thread about flying... (we should see one about loot soon, then its about PvP gawking on a PvP realm)

If you don't like to fly don't fly.

If you're a man and don't like sex with men, don't have sex with men.

If you don't like killing babies, we'll you're not a woman and its not your business what they do with their bodies...

...etc...

TLDR: Stop FORCING you views on everyone else. Damn r____t.

---------- Post added 2013-01-11 at 10:54 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Deathgoose View Post
    And for those on a PvE server, it just means... more trash to kill to be able to do dailies. Woo hoo?
    Hella more trash to kill... QD and TB are navigable at least.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Akoroth View Post
    Just think of the people who play on a server where its 90% horde or 90% alliance...

the lesser faction would produce immense amounts of QQ
    Like ours ? :P

Luckily i won't be on this shit hole by the 19th.
    It's far worse for PvE servers than it is for unbalanced PvP servers, because it has no purpose other than making it extremely inconvenient for PvE players for no valid reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
    It's far worse for PvE servers than it is for unbalanced PvP servers, because it has no purpose other than making it extremely inconvenient for PvE players for no valid reason.
    The price you pay if you play on a PvP Server with no PvP Gear.

But as far as i know, i've read somewhere that you can choose 2 daily Hubs, one for world pvp and one for more pve oriented players.

Altough World PvP actually relies on a mass of people, it's not like that World PvP should be fair, you only succeed in World PvP if you are the greatest asshole.
    Last edited by Kralljin; 2013-01-11 at 04:00 PM.