Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I kinda think most of real dwarf story has been told already mostly in Blackrock series of dungeon and raid. I still think they are funny race anyway. lol Their appearance doesn't make me want to take them seriously.

15+ Year Old Account
    I always found dwarves as something far from a joke. They try to play them up in WoW to show their "alcoholic" nature, but in all honesty, the dwarves are far more than that.

They are a race that has very firm beliefs in right and wrong, and will act on those beliefs whenever it is necessary. They also believe in enjoying their lives and living to the fullest. They are probably the only race that could find the time to sit down by a fire (with a beer in hand) and just relax and enjoy it. When it comes down to it, they are strong, courageous, bold, and good. However, that doesn't mean they don't know how to have a good time.

Gnomes? Now they're a joke

Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    Blizz has a tendency to write dwarves as comic relief, overplaying the drunk scottsman angle.

I've seen Dwarves played serious, while still being funny at times. The writers would do well to read some Tolkien again.
    The way they portrayed Gimli in the LOTR movies ironically didn't help dispel this comic relief angle any, though. WoW definitely plays up on the success of his "loveable lunkhead" depiction.

Quote Originally Posted by Eowenn View Post
    I always found dwarves as something far from a joke. They try to play them up in WoW to show their "alcoholic" nature, but in all honesty, the dwarves are far more than that.

They are a race that has very firm beliefs in right and wrong, and will act on those beliefs whenever it is necessary. They also believe in enjoying their lives and living to the fullest. They are probably the only race that could find the time to sit down by a fire (with a beer in hand) and just relax and enjoy it. When it comes down to it, they are strong, courageous, bold, and good. However, that doesn't mean they don't know how to have a good time.
    I think you are thinking about the pandaren lol

dwarves aren't that firm on right and wrong (see moira and the dark iron). also: they can be warlocks. they are also more interested in digging everywhere for relics than sitting by a fire. whether it's archeology, or minning, or melting steel or smithing weapons, dwarves work a lot. they also drink a lot, but I suspect they drink while working, not by a fire lol
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think all aspects of WoW are usually tarnished with these odd humor/comedy bits everywhere that just kills any seriousness there ever was in this universe..

Warcraft 3 and Ironforge are good representations of dwards in warcraft imo, It's hard for me to take things in WoW serious, cause there's always some dumb joke or referance to popular culture forced into things. Just look at what happend to female nelfs for example, from a female focused amazon culture to naive alliance cheerleaders with the most ridiclous emote animations z.z

That said I haven't gotten the same impression you have of dwarfs I guess, the explorers leauge is one of the more serious factions, not too much sillyness and Ironforge is win.

Deleted
    No, Draenei is the least played race of the Alliance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Meh, dwarves have their serious moments. Gnomes were pretty much designed to be comical relief though.

---------- Post added 2013-01-13 at 02:11 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
    What does that have to do with comic relief? Draenei probably have one the darkest stories of all the races.
    Last edited by Loaf Lord; 2013-01-13 at 02:12 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    Meh, dwarves have their serious moments. Gnomes were pretty much designed to be comical relief though.

---------- Post added 2013-01-13 at 02:11 AM ----------

What does that have to do with comic relief? Draenei probably have one the darkest stories of all the races.
    Was refering to the OP's claim that Dwarves were the least played race, which isn't true.

If anything is a comic relief then that's Gnomes obviously, like you said.

10+ Year Old Account
    Was refering to the OP's claim that Dwarves were the least played race, which isn't true.

If anything is a comic relief then that's Gnomes obviously, like you said.
    Durp, my bad.

Using them for gags is quite the same as blood elves being milked for lady boy/gay-jokes, yet the sin'dorei still have a serious presence ingame. I don't play Alliance actively, my highest character on the blue side is lvl 82(a dwarf!), but from what I've seen as Horde I think dwarves have had pretty good representation. I would like there to be more Ironforge-style outposts in the future, though.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

I wouldn't neccisarily tie any boss kill to one faction. Especially when so many raids have neutral factions backing their offense. There are small details that can point to one side or another, but blizz seems to carefully avoid that with the exception of Onyxia.

Dwarves, imo, are one of the best represented races in the game when it comes to stuff like this. They aren't always brutally serious like the Humans, Elves, Draenei, and Worgen tend to be, nor are they always comical like the Gnomes. Dwarves are written very well and go seamlessly between the two with different ones you meet, and even a single Dwarf can go back and forth between being hilarious and being a tough and respectable soldier.

Sure, some like Flintlocke are written as comical since they fit that role well and Flintlocke was part of a hilarious WoW e-comic. But then you have some like Sully "The Pickle" McLeary who can be comical one minute and the next, he's in a shredder fighting the Horde and the Sha (start of Jade Forest.) Then, you have the pure serious ones like at Wildhammer Stronghold in Shadowmoon Valley where the Dwarves were basically all business.
    Last edited by Bullettime; 2013-01-13 at 04:00 AM.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    i have 5 dwarfs, down from 7, coz i made 2 taurens to try horde side.
    dwarves are the backbone of the alliance.
    yes they drink, but when it's time to kick someones backside, you'll always find dwarves there doing their part, (sometimes more than their part).
    alliance may laugh at their dwarf allies, but no one laughs when they fight. (they only die).

10+ Year Old Account
    There are much more Draenei than Dwarves. Any server, any time of the day, there are more Draenei than Dwarves.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    Dwarf, Worgen, Draenei, Human, Pandaren NElf, Gnome. There's my badass ranking.
    I'd say dwarf, female draenei, worgen, human, NE, male draenei, panda, gnome. We all know that female draenei are an entirely separate matter. Dat model.

I think warcraft dwarves need to be more like their warhammer cousins. Read any warhammer fantasy novel about dwarves (or Dwarf as how it's said in that IP) and you would know they are probably the most serious race out their. In Warhammer dwarves aren't alcoholics, they like their brew just as much as an elf likes his wine, or a human soldier his beer. Dwarves can just ingest more of it without getting drunk.

In Warhammer dwarves are very serious and a very grim folk and not to mention vengeful. Dwarves in that Ip hold grudges forever until it is repaid by blood or other means.

Heck in one novel the dwarves go to battle some orks with local human backup, the humans broke allowing access to the dwarf king who was slain, a grudge was written against the humans to avenge the king, now 150 or so years latter the dwarves how up this castle demanding all the gold the humans owned to compensate for the loss of the king, they were refused...so the dwarves demolished the place. This just shows how serious they can be.

Now if Blizzard made the warcraft dwarves (Specifically ironforge dwarves) more like the warhammer ones, it would be much better.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewan View Post
    Now if Blizzard made the warcraft dwarves (Specifically ironforge dwarves) more like the warhammer ones, it would be much better.
    They could've made everything better with a touch of Warhammer, but they choose not to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haven View Post
    They could've made everything better with a touch of Warhammer, but they choose not to.
    Warhammer Dwarves remind me of R. Lee Ermey tbh. A short, angrier version of R. Lee Ermey.

Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    Warhammer Dwarves remind me of R. Lee Ermey tbh. A short, angrier version of R. Lee Ermey.
    Haha I see your point, but still Warhammer dwarves are probably the best/most bad ass dwarves in books/games. Just see how awesome they look XD

(excluding Tolkien dwarves as well , we don't know much on 'em)

Dwarfs have always been written as a very quirky, stereotyped race in almost anything I have read or seen them in. Look at the dwarves in LotR. They are serious but there is no denying that they still make you laugh at almost every moment. There is just something very whimsical and funny about dwarfs.

WoW Dwarfs have never been and will continue to be no exception.

Off-topic but on-topic: Spellcheck as just informed me the plural of Dwarf is spelled "Dwarfs" not "Dwarves," like I previously thought. Learn something new everyday. XD