Deleted

Installing Win 7 on a new SSD

Hey guys.

So I'm gonna get my new SSD in a couple of days and I'm not sure on what to do when it comes to removing Win 7 from my old HDD and install it onto the new SSD.
    I have some ideas that I heard should work, but I'm still not 100% sure.

It seems like the easiest way is to remove the HDD and only have the SSD plugged in and then just install Win 7 onto the SSD, and when the installation is done plug the HDD back in. Now if I do this, am I gonna be able to boot up from the SSD, right click the HDD and select "format"? If I format it, will it remove everything including the Win 7 that exists on it?

If it matters, its a Samsung 840-Series 120gb.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Grommp View Post
    Hey guys.

So I'm gonna get my new SSD in a couple of days and I'm not sure on what to do when it comes to removing Win 7 from my old HDD and install it onto the new SSD.
    I have some ideas that I heard should work, but I'm still not 100% sure.

It seems like the easiest way is to remove the HDD and only have the SSD plugged in and then just install Win 7 onto the SSD, and when the installation is done plug the HDD back in. Now if I do this, am I gonna be able to boot up from the SSD, right click the HDD and select "format"? If I format it, will it remove everything including the Win 7 that exists on it?

If it matters, its a Samsung 840-Series 120gb.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated!
    You've got it.

If you leave the HDD plugged in Windows will create a dual boot system and you don't want that. Allow the SSD to be the only drive connected at the time of installation to avoid that.

Once you boot into the SSD with a operating system you can format the HDD if you wish. You can move files from the HDD to the SSD if you like but no personal settings will be saved although I think Microsoft has a migration tool for things like this but that's not my forte.

10+ Year Old Account
    A little clarification, step by step.

1) System off
    2) Unplug HDD
    3) Install SSD
    4) System on
    5) Install Win7 on SSD
    6) System off
    7) Replug HDD
    8) System on
    9) Change boot settings in BIOS to only boot from SSD
    10) Boot into windows, move files if desired, format HDD

I very recently did all this and found some very useful links:

Seans guide: was the bible for my installation. Read and understand it all first so you don't get confused half way through installation: http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/s...-for-ssds-hdds

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/...-articles-part

Deleted
    Alright, thanks for the replies guys!

Very clear step by step guide, gonna use that when I install it.

Quote Originally Posted by theKarn View Post
    You've got it.

If you leave the HDD plugged in Windows will create a dual boot system and you don't want that. Allow the SSD to be the only drive connected at the time of installation to avoid that.

Once you boot into the SSD with a operating system you can format the HDD if you wish. You can move files from the HDD to the SSD if you like but no personal settings will be saved although I think Microsoft has a migration tool for things like this but that's not my forte.
    I had my HDD plugged in when I installed my OS(Win7Prof.) on SSD. It just simply allowed me to choose to which drive I want to install OS to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    I had my HDD plugged in when I installed my OS(Win7Prof.) on SSD. It just simply allowed me to choose to which drive I want to install OS to.
    Sometimes (at least in past experience) if you do that, it will detect another operating system present, on an 'active' drive, and install Windows to the drive correctly, but your boot drive will end up being E:/ or something. It may not be necessary, but it guarantees that your drive is assigned C:/

Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    It can also cause you not to use AHCI mode if you have an older HDD not in that mode already.

Quote Originally Posted by stevietv View Post
    It can also cause you not to use AHCI mode if you have an older HDD not in that mode already.
    Using OCZ Agility 3 and WD Caviar Black(7200RPM 1TB) currently. I believe Caviar Black is quite new, also popular due to being reliable and fast.