Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dravelar View Post
    Because if they don't look exactly like each other,it's not a reference right?
    Blizzard makes references to people/pop culture icons.

When they make references to pop culture icons, who are well known, they USUALLY do it in some spelled out way... Like Harrison Jones, Bronjahm, Harris Pilton and Ricole Nichie, etc, etc.

Then you have blizzard's pop culture references that are actually "vague..." like, REALLY vague. Like the NPC "Shok'sharak" a faceless one in vash'jir, who's name is phonetically the same as former French president, Jacques Chirac. Now, I don't live in france, but I'm going to assume that Jacques Chirac was not a giant amphibious squid monster.

"Iron Man" would fall under the first category. All of the people referenced fit their NPC in some way. Now, sure, maybe they'll load Iron Qon up with Iron Man quotes of some form, but really... from what I can see, they bear almost no resemblance.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2013-01-08 at 08:48 PM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Blizzard makes references to people/pop culture icons.

When they make references to pop culture icons, who are well known, they USUALLY do it in some spelled out way... Like Harrison Jones, Bronjahm, Harris Pilton and Ricole Nichie, etc, etc.

Then you have blizzard's pop culture references that are actually "vague..." like, REALLY vague. Like the NPC "Shok'sharak" a faceless one in vash'jir, who's name is phonetically the same as former French president, Jacques Chirac. Now, I don't live in france, but I'm going to assume that Jacques Chirac was not a giant amphibious squid monster.

"Iron Man" would fall under the first category. All of the people referenced fit their NPC in some way. Now, sure, maybe they'll load Iron Qon up with Iron Man quotes of some form, but really... from what I can see, they bear almost no resemblance.
    Honestly, the models of all those other npcs, while technically the right species (or at least general shape, with regards to the socialites), don't really resemble the reference material either. I've never seen any material where James Brown had blue glowy eyes and a robe and wizard staff. Harrison Jones' outfit doesn't look anything like Indiana's, unless you're half blind.

If Bronjahm didn't have his title, even with the boss music he would be just as indecipherable as Shok'sharak. If Haris Pilton or Ricole Nichie were named anything else, there would be nothing left to indicate they were a reference to anything. Harrison's personality and characterization are the only links he has to his source aside from his actual name. So it's not unthinkable that a crimson mogu with gold armor in exactly the right places and a glowy blue decoration strapped across his chest for no decipherable reason and whose name consists of "Iron" and a monosyllable that ends in an "n" sound just maybe might be a reference, and anything additional could be considered to some people as laying it on just a touch too thick.

Though I wouldn't put it past them for him to shout "I. AM. IRON QON" as his aggro phrase.
    Last edited by Drilnos; 2013-01-10 at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sackman View Post
    Which is what you want to see...

The only reference I see is in his name.

WoW's cultural references, are by no means subtle, this would be one of their more subtle references if a reference at all.
    IRON qoN is subtle?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sackman View Post
    Which is what you want to see...

The only reference I see is in his name.

WoW's cultural references, are by no means subtle, this would be one of their more subtle references if a reference at all.
    You have to REALLY TRY not to see the reference. It should be obvious enough as it is. Name, color scheme, chest ornament. Simple.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisisvacant View Post
    You have to REALLY TRY not to see the reference. It should be obvious enough as it is. Name, color scheme, chest ornament. Simple.
    I don't see it! I took a look and to be honest, nothing reminds me of Iron man.

10+ Year Old Account
    Somehow all the Mogu reminds me on the pigcops from Duke Nukem :x

Would be nice to hear a different version of Black Sabbath's Iron Man during the encounter.
    Character(s): Velestra || Guild(s): Untotenschutzverein - MM || Sig by Lorfine

Has anyone noticed how Kazra'jin is a little reference to Blanka from Street Fighter?!

Big green hulk with red hair who does the electric pulse in place ability. There is probably more to it that i've missed.

I'm sure you'll all be able to get this one.