Poll: Do you like Win8

Thread: Windows 8

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Personally, I won't be going back to Windows 7, probably. However, my actual opinion of Windows 8 is unchanged; I still believe the interface is pretty shit. The reason Windows 8 works out better is almost entirely because of keyboard combos, most of which are never mentioned. You gotta discover them by accident, far as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    Personally, I won't be going back to Windows 7, probably. However, my actual opinion of Windows 8 is unchanged; I still believe the interface is pretty shit. The reason Windows 8 works out better is almost entirely because of keyboard combos, most of which are never mentioned. You gotta discover them by accident, far as I know.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...ortcuts#1TC=t1

You're welcome

As long as you don't want to dig deep into the system for settings etc, you won't really notice the difference. Trying to change any settings will take you 1-3 click more in average as well as major headache the first time you are trying to figure where should those extra clicks be made. Other than that the system feels faster and smoother than w7 even on high end machines.
    I tried it because I like novelty things and I haven't found reason to go back to W7 yet.
    Btw, I'm running 1 monitor setup and I don't use the tiled screen at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    The point.

Your head.

When the system completely fails to actually mention them itself and requires third party or complete luck, that is failure.

It came on my laptop, I lived with it for a week before uninstalling and installing win7 ultimate :P Its just metro... I hate it so much. Tablet / phone, touch laptops even, fine... with a mouse its just not suitable If they added the option to just have a normal desktop with start menu, I'd use it.. Its the fact that they haven't that I'm staying with Windows7. I've been used to the "norm" for many years, now its all been turned upside-down.

It took me 10 minutes just to shutdown my laptop the first time lol, I had to login to WoW and ask someone how to do it, I mean really? you have to CTRL + ALT+ Del to shutdown? It looks flashy and "new" but i just dislike the idea of turning my pride and joy of a PC into a tablet with a GPU..

I'm just a guy that dislikes dramatic change, I never will.. And im just hoping the next installment of windows goes back to its old roots.
    Last edited by thunterman; 2013-01-14 at 10:37 AM.

Windows 8 would have been nice if Microshit didn't try to act Apple with their customers. "We know better what you want" they say. "You are retarded and you're not Apple" I'd reply. Of course, what I think would be irrelevant if the sales numbers for Windows 8 wouldn't suck ass, even with the low prices. A superior OS with such a low update price would have taken big bites into the other versions.

They had like 95% market share on desktop computer OS, and they've decided to focus on phones and tables where they had like 2% and 0%. Not only that, they wanted to make the happy desktop user embrace their shit design of tasteless colors and boring flatness. Well, good luck with that, because their market share in the mobile area is still as shit as it can possibly be, while going down on the desktop too

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    The point.

Your head.

When the system completely fails to actually mention them itself and requires third party or complete luck, that is failure.
    Pretty sure you should be able to find them in the Windows Help tool. Finding out key-bindings in Windows has never been "easy" though, that isn't something that is unique to Windows 8 .

I personally have it on my laptop and at work on my all-in-one pc with touch screen. At home with laptop I don't know should I like it or not I don't use tiles much 'cause most programs I use won't go to tiles. But at work I love w8 with touch screen.

But with home desktop I will stay with win 7 ultimate, atleast for now I'm thinking about moving to w8, when I reinstall my server comp.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Pretty sure you should be able to find them in the Windows Help tool. Finding out key-bindings in Windows has never been "easy" though, that isn't something that is unique to Windows 8 .
    Which, I'm sorry, does not work as an excuse to me. When you have a full team of professionals, from 'just' designers to actual interface designers, and none of them can do an actual interface, that's pathetic.

I'm not excusing them, I'm just saying that it isn't an issue that only exists with Windows 8.

I have not tried windows 8 yet. I generally don't buy the new OS's till they've been out for at least a year. The only exception I made was with Vista. Tried Vista for a week and it was so horrendously slow and crappy I switched back to XP pro. Then used XP till 7 came out. I might play around with 8 next time I go to Best Buy or Sams Club.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jholdaway View Post
    I have not tried windows 8 yet. I generally don't buy the new OS's till they've been out for at least a year. The only exception I made was with Vista. Tried Vista for a week and it was so horrendously slow and crappy I switched back to XP pro. Then used XP till 7 came out. I might play around with 8 next time I go to Best Buy or Sams Club.
    8 actually had almost a whole year of public beta testing, and for the most part has released like a service pack

that said, there are a few issues here and there, but most of them are related to third party programs and drivers, all of my drivers were up to date from asus accept for the Xense soundcard, the 7 drivers worked, but didn't allow me to use the on screen interface, (but luckily the better open source xonar drivers are up to date)

otherwise, my only other hiccup is that aisuite hangs on startup

i did have some trouble initially installing 8 though, nobody has really posted what you need to have ready in your BIOS to deal with 8 being an EFI based OS, so i had to figure it out

Deleted
    I might give it a go later on. W7 is still working fine for me, so i dont see any point in getting W8.

I did get myself a lumia 920, so with w8 it will prob synch stuff easier. So that would be the one reason for me to switch now.
    Plus im getting familiar with metro, even though its on a phone

10+ Year Old Account
    So here's my question with Windows 8, I used it for a month on a pretty fast system, but with an SSD I don't see it really being any faster. I never shut down my computer, only sleep so the boot times are meaningless, plus, are you really that much in a rush that an additional two to six seconds made the difference? For the money you have to pay, what worthwhile features does it add? I've read some say, "Well it uses less resources!" Well that's nice, but when Windows 7 used say one gig of ram idle and Windows 8 used 700 to 900, who the F cares when you have six or more gigs of ram to begin with?

I'm not saying it's a bad OS, although Metro is terrible without a touch panel. I am just wondering what it brings to the table that justifies its price, especially when it comes to gaming as this is a gaming oriented forum. Also, if you have to say, "Well it's not that bad", you are already off to a bad start...

@Codyak, if you're getting a new pc the price doesn't feel like an issue. I got windows 8 and after getting used to it I quite like it. Because I didn't want to splash out too much I didn't get an SSD and I can notice the speed difference.

But speed difference is rarely about "rush", it's just convenience.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Codyak View Post
    So here's my question with Windows 8, I used it for a month on a pretty fast system, but with an SSD I don't see it really being any faster. I never shut down my computer, only sleep so the boot times are meaningless, plus, are you really that much in a rush that an additional two to six seconds made the difference? For the money you have to pay, what worthwhile features does it add? I've read some say, "Well it uses less resources!" Well that's nice, but when Windows 7 used say one gig of ram idle and Windows 8 used 700 to 900, who the F cares when you have six or more gigs of ram to begin with?

I'm not saying it's a bad OS, although Metro is terrible without a touch panel. I am just wondering what it brings to the table that justifies its price, especially when it comes to gaming as this is a gaming oriented forum. Also, if you have to say, "Well it's not that bad", you are already off to a bad start...
    overall its faster, not just in boot

For those of you having problems with the shut down, its pretty simple. Either go to your bottom right corner and hit settings, or windows+ I and click settings. If you want to be really cleaver create a short cut for

c:\windows\System32\shutdown.exe -s -t 0

Pin that to your metro. Also a lot of other ways to do it ofc.

As for people who don't like the metro.. all I can say is.. why?.. so instead of having all your programs 1 click away as soon as your pc starts up, you'd much rather go. start>all programs> program file > program.exe... yeah I understand how that's much nicer than live up to date tiles..

Been using windows 8 since august, and I won't ever be going back.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kooldelka View Post
    For those of you having problems with the shut down, its pretty simple. Either go to your bottom right corner and hit settings, or windows+ I and click settings. If you want to be really cleaver create a short cut for

c:\windows\System32\shutdown.exe -s -t 0

Pin that to your metro. Also a lot of other ways to do it ofc.

As for people who don't like the metro.. all I can say is.. why?.. so instead of having all your programs 1 click away as soon as your pc starts up, you'd much rather go. start>all programs> program file > program.exe... yeah I understand how that's much nicer than live up to date tiles..

Been using windows 8 since august, and I won't ever be going back.
    Alt-F4 from the desktop still works

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    overall its faster, not just in boot
    Does it get noticeably high frame rates in games though? And with overall within the OS I guess that's a personal feel as I would have to disagree. It makes me wonder how much of that claim by others in mental thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Codyak View Post
    Does it get noticeably high frame rates in games though? And with overall within the OS I guess that's a personal feel as I would have to disagree. It makes me wonder how much of that claim by others in mental thing.
    some games run better, some don't

however, program loading and window snappy-ness is faster, noticeably faster than 7 and thats what makes a computer feel fast, its the same reason a computer with an SSD is faster than a computer without one, even though framerate is the same