Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebildays View Post
    If you believe that you are insignificant and nothing you do matters why make a post that seems designed to have a significant point of making people understand they are insignificant? And if one person changes because of this then what you have said/done matters to them on a personal level.
    Yeah, how insignificant is it telling people that they are insignificant? Does the OP often try to convince children that they are children?

Now if we are using permanence to determine significance then everything is insignificant.
    If everything is insignificant, it's all equaly significant. Pointing out humans, or what ever, being insignificant, implies that there is something that is significant. What is more significant than your own life?

---------- Post added 2013-01-14 at 05:21 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sarithus View Post
    Then you fail to understand the point of this thread. Changing this world doesn't mean anything in relation to the grand scheme of things.
    Relation to what grand scheme of things? Do you mean insignificant scheme of things?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Meh. Pretty sure I saw this circulating on tumblr last week.

Edit: And to add something of substance, in the cosmic scale of the universe yes I can see how we're all insignificant. I would argue, however, that our impact on our immediate environments (our homes, our jobs) is significant. Memory of us will fade over time, that is the way of things I suppose, but that doesn't mean we can't be significant while we exist.
    Last edited by Talokami; 2013-01-14 at 05:26 PM.
    That fabric softener teddy bear...oooh I'm 'a hunt that little bitch down.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashnazg View Post
    The truth of the matter is, I am the only person who exists. I am god and I am the universe. The rest of you are philosophical zombies - constructs of my mind who exist only because I allow it, and will end when I demand it.
    The real truth of the matter is that you're a Reaper, and next you're going to be talking about you impose order on organic evolution and that there's only the harvest. I see through your fog.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Deleted
    Why don't you cut yourself while you're at it ye damn emo, aren't you insignificant?

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    In relevance to the universe, of course. But to my friends and people around me, noes D:

Your significance or insignificance depends on your viewpoint. And I think the cosmos lacks a viewpoint since there's no evidence of a sentient universe, so... you're just choosing to feel insignificant and labeling others around you as insignificant.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    Yeah, how insignificant is it telling people that they are insignificant? Does the OP often try to convince children that they are children?

If everything is insignificant, it's all equaly significant. Pointing out humans, or what ever, being insignificant, implies that there is something that is significant. What is more significant than your own life?

---------- Post added 2013-01-14 at 05:21 PM ----------

Relation to what grand scheme of things? Do you mean insignificant scheme of things?
    Maybe the OP was trying for temporary significance which is what they have managed to achieve with this thread.

Now that is a good question, what is significant? The grand scheme of things but what exactly is the grand scheme of things?

Deleted
    Actually, I think I am the universe. Without me nothing matters. And no, it's not arrogance or ego. What does it matter if I can't move starts and galaxies or have only existed a short time compared to other things? I could come up with a list as big with things that are smaller, can affect less and live less. I matter to me, I'm the center of my universe and those billions of years that came before or will come after have no meaning.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Regennis View Post
    Does the Theory of Relativity work for "significance"? lol
    It kinda does. It contains the formula to change us into energy. Us as humans is insignificant, but us as matter is pretty significant, even in the grand scheme of things. If you see humanity as something more than matter, we are insignificant. If we are just matter, the only thing on par is energy, which we can become according to theory of relativity.

As part of a race of humans, we are very small. As part of all matter in the universe, we are fairly crucial... But, so is sand...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    It kinda does. It contains the formula to change us into energy. Us as humans is insignificant, but us as matter is pretty significant, even in the grand scheme of things. If you see humanity as something more than matter, we are insignificant. If we are just matter, the only thing on par is energy, which we can become according to theory of relativity.

As part of a race of humans, we are very small. As part of all matter in the universe, we are fairly crucial... But, so is sand...
    All we are is dust in the wind...

10+ Year Old Account
    Now that is a good question, what is significant? The grand scheme of things but what exactly is the grand scheme of things?
    I am assuming that the grand scheme of things is the universe. In which case seeing us as humans would make us insignificant. But, in that scheme, we are matter. We are the mass that combined with energy, is the universe...

By this logic, anything is insignificant. When you compare something to infinity (which it seems you are doing) even the largest things may be considered insignificant. A galaxy is insignificant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Regennis View Post
    All we are is dust in the wind...
    Yes, but if there was no matter, including dust, there would be no universe. At least not this one...

My mom thinks otherwise so FU!

Deleted
    And yet here we are.

Honestly, I'd say because of the tiny chances of live even forming to such a level I'd say yes, we are very significant

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    thats the stupidest thing i'v ever heard, the universe is so big and old that you are insignificant. I am significant because of how i choose to live my life, and no scale of no universe is gonna change that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoonalol View Post
    wat are the 2 gob mounts.. i only know the trike

Quote Originally Posted by bjornh View Post
    I've seldom seen such an incredibly unnecessary post. 100% atheist propaganda, too.
    How is it Atheist Propaganda? Most religions have their God and Omnipotent, Omnipresent, Timeless and All Powerful. That makes men with their flicker lives pretty insignificant.

Deleted
    Yes our existence is insignificant in the grand scheme of things but every living being is significant in their own way as their survival will enevitably mean future and future is infinite. So to have any future, every insignificance becomes very significant.

Eh? I hope you get it :/

Deleted
    I don't need to be significant to enjoy life.

Deleted
    Insignificance can only exist if someone is there to recognize it as insignificant. If life didn't exist in the universe then the Universe wouldn't exist.
    There would be none to appreciate it's greatness and therefor it wouldn't exist. Life is very significant even on the grandest of scales.

See this box?

What's inside it? Absolutely nothing is inside this box until someone opens it up and views its contents.

We are not significant on an individual level, but the way we manifest matter(life)is very significant.
    Last edited by mmoc098be2d235; 2013-01-14 at 06:13 PM.