Page 31 of 101 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I'm looking for some advice. I returned to EVE a week ago and I've now joined a friendly corp that's really helping me and others to become successful in both PvE and PvP. Due to the good feeling that I have about this, I opened up my old alt and created a new alt. The last one is a Salvager and will focus on bulk-salvaging in semi-friendly environments (high-sec, mission zones).

While I was doing my first salvage missions on the gifted Heron (works pretty well actually) and later upgraded to a Cataclyst, I got an idea. An idea, that's inspiring to me, yet I'm not sure it's even possible to execute. Hence, I would like some advice.

I'll copy paste a post I made on Battleclinic.

Alright, this is actually an experimental build that I'm going to try and I wasn't planning on releasing it online, but it makes it a lot easier to access anywhere I want and base skill planning on, so hey, here goes.

[Nemesis, Scavenger Nemesis]
    Capacitor Power Relay II
    Nanofiber Internal Structure II

1MN Afterburner II
    Cargo Scanner II
    Small Capacitor Booster II
    [insert slot]

Covert Ops Cloaking Device II
    Salvager II
    Salvager II
    Salvager II
    Salvager II

Small Auxiliary Thrusters II
    Small Dynamic Fuel Valve II

First of all, the concept:
    - The way I see salvagers, is the way they are depicted in Cowboy Bebop (old and best ever anime out there). The classic living on the edge of the law and getting your hands on some hot equipment, involving risk and reward, good and bad days. Salvagers in Bebop are mostly running large freighters at extremely high ramming-speed, so that part of the concept can't be applied, but I'll approach it slightly differently.

Second, applying this to EVE:
    - There's two ways of salvaging; The good way and the bad way. The good way involves getting hired as a salvager. The bad way is scanning for combat zones and invading them. In high-sec, people won't try to eliminate you as long as you do not touch the cargo in the vessels, since they will get tagged. Salvaging, is free.

- I want to turn the "bad" way into a really bad way, with a good balance of risk and reward. I'm not the kill for fun type of guy, instead, I'm going to invade your combat zone, salvage what I can and take what I find useful and there's relatively nothing you can do about it.

The theory:
    - Grab a Covert Ops ship with as many as possible high slots. Add a cargo scanner and focus all other equipment on getting around as fast as possible. Tractor beams tag you, so they are of no use. Fly around cloaked, de-cloak, salvage + scan cargo, loot cargo if high value, cloak.

- Basically, the point is to salvage and loot in a timeframe that doesn't allow anyone to target you. In case of the Nemesis, this is 15 seconds. Which might be too long, hence the "concept".

> Cap boosters
    > Cap usage reductions
    > Speed

This plan is about a Nemesis. It's a ship that I can currently pilot. It's possible that you would want a ship that can cloak within 5 seconds, but you'll ultimately lose one Salvager in the process. The best alternative, I feel, would be a Buzzard or Anathema.

Disclaimer:
    - So obviously, this build is not about maximum isk/hour. It's about adding risk with reward in a setting that I would personally experience as exciting. I'm a fairly new player, having access to mostly only covert ops and missile systems (I fly a Drake to do missions normally) and I'm simply letting my imagination loose on this one. I love loot-heavy games that really give you the excitement of opening presents. This might just be my version of opening presents and accepting, even welcoming, the risks that come with it.
    Any tips, advice, flames or other of the sort are welcome.

Edited to reflect the ship as being a Nemesis SB. Battle Clinic made my ship an Executioner.
    Last edited by Vespian; 2013-01-14 at 12:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    *snip*
    While I was doing my first salvage missions on the gifted Heron (works pretty well actually) and later upgraded to a Cataclyst, I got an idea. An idea, that's inspiring to me, yet I'm not sure it's even possible to execute. Hence, I would like some advice.

I'll copy paste a post I made on Battleclinic.

Any tips, advice, flames or other of the sort are welcome.

Edited to reflect the ship as being a Nemesis SB. Battle Clinic made my ship an Executioner.
    About the only ships that can't lock you in 15 seconds are capitals, while your theory could work I fail to see the overall usefulness unless every wreck you perform the concept on yields T2 salvage. You would probably be better of using a combat fit with a salvager and just cruise null-sec routes to find T2 wrecks on gates, or generate your own if opportunity is given.

Quote Originally Posted by Alyssa View Post
    About the only ships that can't lock you in 15 seconds are capitals, while your theory could work I fail to see the overall usefulness unless every wreck you perform the concept on yields T2 salvage. You would probably be better of using a combat fit with a salvager and just cruise null-sec routes to find T2 wrecks on gates, or generate your own if opportunity is given.
    There's a few misconceptions.

Overall usefulness is based on an isk/hour perception. I'm completely ignoring the isk/hour mentality and instead want to focus on a salvager/ninja combination with 100% escape possibilities. Just pretend that I'm roleplaying. I wouldn't call myself a roleplayer, but I'm a big fan of completely ignoring existing economics, unless I'm the one selling things and just finding everything myself. See it as a mini-diablo game within EVE.

and just cruise null-sec routes to find T2 wrecks on gates, or generate your own if opportunity is given. I have absolutely 0 experience with 0 sec, at the moment and taking that step without "knowing" nulsec might not be such a wise thing to do. Especially not considering my Assets without counting my 6 ships would amount to a total of ~120 mil.

But, going back to the concept for a moment. I'm simply assuming the following:
    - Salvaging pockets which the owner has left, does not remove his ownership of the items.
    - Salvaging pockets in which the owner is still present, does not allow him to shoot me, so I can salvage everything until I encounter something very very nice, loot it, cloak and bail.
    - Using Tractor beams on loot that is not owned by me flags me, so I need to be flying around anyways.
    - Looting something that is not owned by me, flags me, which allows the owner and his entire corp to attack me freely. I need confirmation on how far the flag reaches. Corp?, everyone?, concord included?

Based on what you said, it might be more profitable to pick up a 5 second delay cloak instead of the 15, like the Buzzard or Anathema.

The cargo hold should "hold" with ~190, maybe 200+m3, assuming most materials will be from salvaging. The occasional monster cannon drop should approach a max of ~50m3.

So basically:
    Flying around with the mindset to salvage and/or loot multiple ships within the same pocket owned by the same player: Buzzard or Anathema
    Flying around with the mindset to salvage and loot only very specific items: Nemesis (or comparable)

I am building an alt as a "pure" salvager, that makes an honest living, but my current main, could level these skills in a week (since I'll have to get frigates V for one more faction) and might be fun to play around with like this.

I can't even fly level 4 missions myself, so I figured it would be a nice change of pace.

There's a few misconceptions.

Overall usefulness is based on an isk/hour perception. I'm completely ignoring the isk/hour mentality and instead want to focus on a salvager/ninja combination with 100% escape possibilities. Just pretend that I'm roleplaying. I wouldn't call myself a roleplayer, but I'm a big fan of completely ignoring existing economics, unless I'm the one selling things and just finding everything myself. See it as a mini-diablo game within EVE.
    There is a point where this mindset is negated by risk of loss vs gains though, something I see this concept crossing.

and just cruise null-sec routes to find T2 wrecks on gates, or generate your own if opportunity is given. I have absolutely 0 experience with 0 sec, at the moment and taking that step without "knowing" nulsec might not be such a wise thing to do. Especially not considering my Assets without counting my 6 ships would amount to a total of ~120 mil.
    Fair enough, I'd say your risk is as great as trying to ninja salvage in a 20m isk ship if you need 15 seconds or more though, when compared to the possible rewards.

But, going back to the concept for a moment. I'm simply assuming the following:
    - Salvaging pockets which the owner has left, does not remove his ownership of the items.
    - Salvaging pockets in which the owner is still present, does not allow him to shoot me, so I can salvage everything until I encounter something very very nice, loot it, cloak and bail.
    - Using Tractor beams on loot that is not owned by me flags me, so I need to be flying around anyways.
    - Looting something that is not owned by me, flags me, which allows the owner and his entire corp to attack me freely. I need confirmation on how far the flag reaches. Corp?, everyone?, concord included?
    Salvage a pocket where no one is means no risk at all, so could do it in any ship. Salvaging in a pocket where NPCs are present is probably not a good idea anymore as they switch targets these days. As far as flaging goes in empire I'm lost with the current mechanics as I been a null-sec player since 04-05 ish and empire is a crowded and dangerous place .

Based on what you said, it might be more profitable to pick up a 5 second delay cloak instead of the 15, like the Buzzard or Anathema.
    Assuming the player doesn't already have you locked sure.

The cargo hold should "hold" with ~190, maybe 200+m3, assuming most materials will be from salvaging. The occasional monster cannon drop should approach a max of ~50m3.
    True, the value is still very limited so I fail to see the point besides griefing or excitement which could be gained by the null-sec approach.

So basically:
    Flying around with the mindset to salvage and/or loot multiple ships within the same pocket owned by the same player: Buzzard or Anathema
    Flying around with the mindset to salvage and loot only very specific items: Nemesis (or comparable)

I am building an alt as a "pure" salvager, that makes an honest living, but my current main, could level these skills in a week (since I'll have to get frigates V for one more faction) and might be fun to play around with like this.

I can't even fly level 4 missions myself, so I figured it would be a nice change of pace.
    If you find it fun I'm sure it could work but looking at the benefits it seems like a huge waste of time as high-sec loot isn't all that great unless you get that lucky faction spawn if they still exist in some missions. The latter only really applies if you manage it without having NPCs in the pocket as, again, they switch targets these days.

If you find it fun I'm sure it could work but looking at the benefits it seems like a huge waste of time as high-sec loot isn't all that great unless you get that lucky faction spawn if they still exist in some missions. The latter only really applies if you manage it without having NPCs in the pocket as, again, they switch targets these days.
    Covert Ops ships can Cloak while warping, as far as I know (two more days on cloaking IV). Carefully proceeding towards "higher bounties" while the player finishes off the last ship, de-cloaking, targeting and scanning the cargo, then deciding whether to loot or salvage, or loot after salvaging.

As far as I know, lots of that going on with me, only sleepers can penetrate cloak.

Covert Ops ships can Cloak while warping, as far as I know (two more days on cloaking IV). Carefully proceeding towards "higher bounties" while the player finishes off the last ship, de-cloaking, targeting and scanning the cargo, then deciding whether to loot or salvage, or loot after salvaging.

As far as I know, lots of that going on with me, only sleepers can penetrate cloak.
    As long as you stay away from 2500m of all objects you can remain cloaked, now the sensible player would as soon as you decloak and start salvaging lock you up, so once you loot he could shoot you and also prevent you from cloaking up again.

As far as I'm aware nothing is able to target you when cloaked, as long as nothing has changed on that front over the last couple of years.

Again though, the potential loot from your run of the mill mission NPC really isn't worth the effort compared to just salvaging, especially considering the cool down time after flagging your self and the time just waiting around.

Because I like to see people branching out of high sec activities, if you read up on the basic mechanics needed to do this, such as cloaking and how warp disrupt bubbles work and ways to avoid them, I will pay the listed killmail price of your first Nemesis if you get blown up roaming nullsec looking for salvage on gates. Honestly, most nullsec systems are pretty damn empty, and it isn't the huge scary place that most people make it out to be.

As long as you stay away from 2500m of all objects you can remain cloaked, now the sensible player would as soon as you decloak and start salvaging lock you up, so once you loot he could shoot you and also prevent you from cloaking up again.

As far as I'm aware nothing is able to target you when cloaked, as long as nothing has changed on that front over the last couple of years.

Again though, the potential loot from your run of the mill mission NPC really isn't worth the effort compared to just salvaging, especially considering the cool down time after flagging your self and the time just waiting around.
    Hmm. I did have in mind to basically cloak from one to the other wreck, hopefully taking little enough time to avoid getting locked, but that is the hard part about the entire plan. That said, if you do get locked, you can just keep salvaging. The whole idea basically popped up to combine salvaging with looting. The only benefit any other ship would have, is possibly more equipped salvagers, more than 4 is hardly required, and more cargo hold. The lack of tractor beams during this type of salvaging makes the use of even a single cataclyst overkill. Cheap overkill, but still overkill.

So once more, you said, why not just salvage, that is the intention. I just plan to get away with OMG epic lootz! If I happen to find any

Quote Originally Posted by kumduh View Post
    Because I like to see people branching out of high sec activities, if you read up on the basic mechanics needed to do this, such as cloaking and how warp disrupt bubbles work and ways to avoid them, I will pay the listed killmail price of your first Nemesis if you get blown up roaming nullsec looking for salvage on gates. Honestly, most nullsec systems are pretty damn empty, and it isn't the huge scary place that most people make it out to be.
    I appreciate the offer I will consider.
    Last edited by Vespian; 2013-01-14 at 05:47 PM.

I just plan to get away with OMG epic lootz! If I happen to find any
    This is the problem with your plan, a faction ship would only spawn in a fraction of the missions available hence there really isn't any OMG epic loots to be had. As for as the plan goes I'd say once you loot and get flagged you have an equal opportunity to get out safe in any frigg, better in one with more low slots as you can stack nanos and i-stabs.

This is the problem with your plan, a faction ship would only spawn in a fraction of the missions available hence there really isn't any OMG epic loots to be had. As for as the plan goes I'd say once you loot and get flagged you have an equal opportunity to get out safe in any frigg, better in one with more low slots as you can stack nanos and i-stabs.
    You mean, comparatively. Once more, my total full bank account is tops 120mil.

You mean, comparatively. Once more, my total full bank account is tops 120mil.
    No I mean that the very best meta mods dropping from normal battleships might be worth a few of million at best, you could spend a fraction of the time doing level 3 missions with no risk nor preparation/cool down time making that kind of isk while having the same opportunity getting the better meta mods, hell even if you wanted to use your char to only salvage it would be by far way more efficient to just salvage.

No I mean that the very best meta mods dropping from normal battleships might be worth a few of million at best, you could spend a fraction of the time doing level 3 missions with no risk nor preparation/cool down time making that kind of isk while having the same opportunity getting the better meta mods, hell even if you wanted to use your char to only salvage it would be by far way more efficient to just salvage.
    You went back in the isk/hour mindset didn't you? How can you even enjoy the game with that :P

I'll repeat, I'm working on an alt with the legal portion of salvaging, which I'm doing with him on my currently lvl 2 missions due to lack of rep and that works just fine and will work even better on 3's. But I'm talking about having a little bit of fun.

And with this variant, I don't have to make lvl 4 corpses myself. Noone stopped running diablo2 because Zod had a 0.0001% dropchance anyways.
    Last edited by Vespian; 2013-01-14 at 07:40 PM.

You went back in the isk/hour mindset didn't you? How can you even enjoy the game with that :P
    Because ISK is a means to an end, my clone cost like 25 million, losing a ship can be anything from 25-400 million, ISK supports the fun I have.

And with this variant, I don't have to make lvl 4 corpses myself. Noone stopped running diablo2 because Zod had a 0.0001% dropchance anyways.
    You are highly over estimating the value of lvl 4 wrecks, sure if you find it fun to play it that way you can obviously do just that, if you do the only real factor is how fast you can achieve warp after flagging your self.

Quote Originally Posted by kumduh View Post
    I will start practising cloaking with my nemesis as soon as I get Cloaking IV. It's on its way, about 31 hours left. And likely join Bombers Bar channel to get in touch with those in the know.

As far as I understand warp disrupt bubbles:
    - They are usually placed around gates. I'm not sure of a default range.
    - They are usually placed in line with a direct warp-to-gate command from stations or other gates

How to avoid them:
    - use bookmarks or planets, possibly asteroid belts, to avoid directly landing in the bubble(s).

My own questions:
    - If you select the Warp to 0 or just Jump, wouldn't this bypass a bubble?
    - How does the directional Scan function in essence. From the front bow of your ship in the direction it is facing? What if it's at 0.0 speed, will it still recognize front?

Edit: And how do you do the whole "immune to damage and invisible/cloaked thing? People claim that there's several way to come out of a gate.
    Last edited by Vespian; 2013-01-15 at 09:38 AM.

The bubbles can either be placed on a gate, which will stop people from leaving it when they jump in, or in line with one to work as a "drag bubble" because if you warp directly in line with it, then you will overshoot the gate and be dragged into the bubble, which is usually placed a decent distance from the gate. Warping at 0 or Jump does not save you.

Scanner works based on your camera angle in relation to your ship. The direction your ship is facing has no bearing at all on it. It used to be that if you had your ship in the center of the screen you could just turn your camera to face whatever celestial you wanted and then scan. There is now a way to configure it so can click on celestials you want to dscan towards, without having to mess with the camera, but I haven't really worked with it yet. This should help. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jObKvVDJrSM

As far as I understand warp disrupt bubbles:
    - They are usually placed around gates. I'm not sure of a default range.
    - They are usually placed in line with a direct warp-to-gate command from stations or other gates
    Correct, you also have interdictor bubbles that you can drop on the fly so to speak.

How to avoid them:
    - use bookmarks or planets, possibly asteroid belts, to avoid directly landing in the bubble(s).
    Correct.

My own questions:
    - If you select the Warp to 0 or just Jump, wouldn't this bypass a bubble?
    - How does the directional Scan function in essence. From the front bow of your ship in the direction it is facing? What if it's at 0.0 speed, will it still recognize front?
    No, the bubble work in a way which, if you initiate warp towards something that is in the direct line of the bubble you will get sucked out of warp at the edge of said bubble (excluding placements mid warp).

The scanner works based on your camera with your ship as the center point, some creative YouTubing should provide you with some guide or demonstration I think.

Edit: And how do you do the whole "immune to damage and invisible/cloaked thing? People claim that there's several way to come out of a gate.
    When you jump and load the new system you are invulnerable and cloaked (applies to any ship) for 60 seconds (iirc), as soon as you initiates warp you break cloak and can be targeted until you enter warp, the faster you enter warp the less time your at risk of becoming warp scrambled. The trick in a cloaked ship is to initiate warp or double click in a direction if you are bubbled and immediately activate your own cloak to prevent being locked, the risk if you are bubbled and try to move out is that the hostiles can see your position between the jump cloak and your own hence can try to move to that spot and decloak you.

Thanks both of you. I'll get to work then :P

Hi folks!
    After some research and a couple of videos, I've decided to dive into this game. I'm not sure if this is something for me, so I would be glad if any of you had an 21-days trial?
    Thanks in advance!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiltrold View Post
    Hi folks!
    After some research and a couple of videos, I've decided to dive into this game. I'm not sure if this is something for me, so I would be glad if any of you had an 21-days trial?
    Thanks in advance!
    Just make sure to pay attention during the starting tutorials. There is a lot of information to digest, so don't afraid to take notes if you have to. And be prepared that Eve is not a forgiving game.

Quote Originally Posted by rossignal View Post
    Just make sure to pay attention during the starting tutorials. There is a lot of information to digest, so don't afraid to take notes if you have to. And be prepared that Eve is not a forgiving game.
    I'm already pretty confused with the nearly endless of way to play this game :O I have i few questions though, I've seen that you are able to complete alot of missions. Is it a good idea to do these in the first couple of weeks, or can I jump right into a mining og trading carrier after the tutorials?