Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bekilrwale View Post
    And if the scientist after the Einstein didn't exist...and the one after....and the one after...... they are all individual people no matter how you look at it.
    Even if you ascribe to that train of thought, their achievements are hardly individual, since they're a product of their society and their parental instruction. In other words when we, as a society, matured to the point of discovering relativity (through our accumulated understanding of physics, math, astronomy, glasswork (to create the tools such as telescopes) and precision machinery) - relativity was discovered. Who it was discovered by is immaterial in the long run.

actually we're not insignificant. each one of us can change the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    actually we're not insignificant. each one of us can change the universe.
    In what fashion?

I am important. Without me, the universe would never be the same.

Each action leads to a certain consequence. My actions lead to consequences, and those consequences affect part of the world, even if it's a limited part. That limited part of the world, affected by my actions, will answer accordingly. My actions play a role in the big picture, because A leads to B, B leads to C, and C will eventually lead to Z. But Z couldn't exist if there wasn't A. If I didn't exist, the universe would be a completely different place, because I'm the A that leads to Z. My existence leads to the existence of specific conditions that would never be possible without me.

I rule

10+ Year Old Account
    Nah. I'm not.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight Gil View Post
    I am important. Without me, the universe would never be the same.

Each action leads to a certain consequence. My actions lead to consequences, and those consequences affect part of the world, even if it's a limited part. That limited part of the world, affected by my actions, will answer accordingly. My actions play a role in the big picture, because A leads to B, B leads to C, and C will eventually lead to Z. But Z couldn't exist if there wasn't A. If I didn't exist, the universe would be a completely different place, because I'm the A that leads to Z. My existence leads to the existence of specific conditions that would never be possible without me.

I rule
    But that's fallacious thinking. If your actions affect a limited part of the world - that is the very definition of insignificant and/or inconsequential.

And just because A1 leads to B, doesn't mean A2 wouldn't lead to B either. To give an example: say you were a bus driver and you drove over the Brooklyn bridge, got into an accident and somehow led to the bridge collapse. A -- > B, fair enough. However, if you took a sick day off, and another person was in your spot that fateful day, also got into the accident (same one as you would've), and caused the bridge to collapse. B still happened even if you weren't there to effect it.

Your whole life is completely interchangeable with other people, and as such is the very essence of insignificance.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashnazg View Post
    In what fashion?
    in the fashion that shows we are not "completely and totally" insignificant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by N-7 View Post
    Yeah insignificant things doesn't matter to me whether it die or live I don't care. I stomp bugs by mistake and I don't really care about them after all they're insignificant in my eyes. If he feels that he is insignificant then yes he should go die.
    Why do you think feeling insignificant automatically means he should go die? If anything, you could've said he should go to a psychiatrist/psychologist. Seriously, think a bit before you say stuff like that.

In the grand scheme of things? Sure. But we are the centers of the universe of our own psyche. We create a universe around ourselves as we go through life. After all, our lives are our own, and we either dictate or respond to things in our own way. Ever decision made molds our universe. With a thought process such as your own... well, let's just say, no one ever amounted to shit being the eternal pessimist.

In the grand scheme of the physical universe, yes, we are all insignificant. But we can save a life by simply being a shoulder to cry on. A single idea can change the way an entire civilization lives their lives. And from there, it's a domino effect.

---------- Post added 2013-01-14 at 10:32 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    Insignificant?

We are the only known species to develop such a level of intelligence and consciousnesses. Our earth is one of the very few planets on which intelligent life* could form.
    *As we know it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashnazg View Post
    In what fashion?
    The universe has just been changed, because I'm typing this message that did not exist before.

"Long ago, the world lived in harmony, but everything changed when the fire nation attacked. ONLY the Avatar, master of all four elements, could stop them. But when the world needed him most, he vanished. Long ago my brother and I discovered the new Avatar, an Airbender named Aang. Although he has a lot to learn, he's not ready to save anybody. But I believe, Aang can save the world."

The moral there is that you are insignificant UNLESS your the Avatar, because you're the only one who can maintain balance.

In all seriousness, so is the life of a single cell. A cell is insignificant, is there for a short time (cells die and are replaced all the time) yet without them, we, nor any life, would exist. Not saying that we're essential to the universes survival, but even the smallest things have their role in the universe.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlizzardCS
    We're aware that some players are experiencing latency and server stability issues, and are investigating. Thanks for your patience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kena Lea
    @BlizzardCS not being able to connect to anything is a bit beyond latency dear.

Well then I'd better enjoy myself in the mean time, eh? I'll start by not making forum topics on how insignificant we are

15+ Year Old Account
    You're moms insignificant l0l pwnt

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by spk View Post
    I've thought this several times when opening up this thread, but never said it.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by spk View Post
    *Your

If you're going to insult someone, at least do it right....

OT: Everyone reading this is insignificant and any rebuttals you angrily type out are just manifestations of your frustration over your insignificance.

This sounds like something the Titans would say. Or the Old Gods, probably both.
    With Fire and Brimstone I light my path.
    With Pain and Shadow I smite my foes.
    With Demon and Fel I raise my armies.
    I AM WARLOCK, THE END OF YOU ALL.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bjornh View Post
    I've seldom seen such an incredibly unnecessary post. 100% atheist propaganda, too.

And by atheist I assume you meant realist.

We are all totally insignificant, or on the flip side, the most important thing in the universe. Basically the same thing when you get right down to it.

You really shouldn't care, even if it is true. Doing so will just depress you. Best to live life in the present.

There is a small fraction of a chance you will be someone important enough to be remembered for a loooooooooooooong time at least. Like Gilgamesh of Caesar.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kissme View Post
    You're talking about the relativity of scale.

You can be both significant and insignificant at the same time depeding upon the arena. Someone can have a significant influence on close acquaintances while still being a complete nonentity in terms of historical impact on the human race for example.

Your idea about needing the insignificant to have a future is a little fuzzy however. If you're saying that the future is the net result of all things and actions, both significant and insignificant, leading up to it? Then yes, that's an argument that has merit. If you're saying the insignificant is necessary to have a future then I'd have to disagree. The insignificant only has significance to it's continued insignificance in the second instance. Basically it is required for it's own continued existence, but that existence doesn't gain in significance due to prolonged existence. If the human race died out today because the earth was obliterated the future would still go on, we just wouldn't be part of it.

I am talking about every action having a positive or negative reaction which emits into space and stays there, pulling and pushing on other positives and negatives (emotions or actions towards others). Positive=significant, negative=insignificant.