Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    fear of things like snakes and spiders are universal though, even in places without many of said thing. That points strongly to a genetic basis, obviously not a fear of 'snake', but a fear of 'scales that move in a certain way accompanied sometimes by hissing sound'.
    I don't think it is universal. Children aren't afraid of things unless someone flips a shit around them and tells them it's bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    Who doesn't put the lid down!? :ewww:
    oh also I hope this doesn't gross people out too much but when you smell a fart, particles that have been inside someones butt are going into your lungs and over your tongue

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    Huh? No, what's been built into our DNA is the disgust of a dog's mouth because dogs weren't washed up until a few decades ago. Same goes for snakes, you know. Half of the population is afraid of snakes and half of the population is yucky when it comes to a dog's mouth. There's a clear biological reason for that which is now out-dated.

Stop comparing apples with oranges. You compared our fear that is ingrained in our DNA towards an entire species(the snake), to licking faces. That's retarded. There is no possible reason of why humans would have their DNA built to be disgusted by the lick of a dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Elisif View Post
    What is stopping them eating it? Nothing.
    Same thing that stops humans...

But! My golden retriever once ate a pile of cow excrements. Then puked. Then started eating her vomit.

Deleted
    What is stopping them eating it? Nothing.
    Their owner? The training?

oh also I hope this doesn't gross people out too much but when you smell a fart, particles that have been inside someones butt are going into your lungs and over your tongue
    Well gee, thanks for grossing me out D:

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by Regennis View Post
    I absolutely doubt that. It seems this has turned in to a Nature vs. Nurture debate, and I for one completely deny the fact that the fear of snakes and dog's mouths comes from our DNA.
    Of course it does. Most people are naturally "afraid" of spiders and snakes. I for one, am not afraid of snakes but I do find spiders (and insects in general) a bit unsettling. My parents never talked to me about the dangers of spiders or snakes so your hypothesis makes no sense.

Chances are as a kid, your parents said "Don't let that dog lick you, it's dirty." and that is why you think that to this day.
    Whatever the chances may be, that's not the truth because my parents never even were near me whenever a dog licked my hand.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think it is universal. Children aren't afraid of things unless someone flips a shit around them and tells them it's bad.
    hmm this is an interesting article

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/afr...ry?id=12759901

basically its a little of both...while not innate, there are genetic predispositions to fearing certain things if fear responses are observed. Also just to note, when they paired flowers with a fear response, the babies weren't scared of flowers. So from this they conclude that the 'innate' predisposition to fear a certain thing (like a snake) exists, but is only activated or used in situations where fear responses are paired with the predisposition

interesting stuff

edit: this one is from about a year later (end of 2011) and says it might be genetic after all

http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/ani...may-be-genetic

so idk anymore science is being inconclusive again
    Last edited by Underverse; 2013-01-14 at 11:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Of course it does. Most people are naturally "afraid" of spiders and snakes. I for one, am not afraid of snakes but I do find spiders (and insects in general) a bit unsettling. My parents never talked to me about the dangers of spiders or snakes so your hypothesis makes no sense.

Whatever the chances may be, that's not the truth because my parents never even were near me whenever a dog licked my hand.
    Must be awesome to remember every memory to birth. You'd be surprised what we learn without remembering it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by Celltrex View Post
    Stop comparing apples with oranges. You compared our fear that is ingrained in our DNA towards an entire species(the snake), to licking faces. That's retarded. There is no possible reason of why humans would have their DNA built to be disgusted by the lick of a dog.
    Of course there is a reason. Dogs weren't washed before the last century. They were extremely dirty back then and a potential threat.
    Last edited by Wikiy; 2013-01-14 at 11:58 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    Same thing that stops humans...

But! My golden retriever once ate a pile of cow excrements. Then puked. Then started eating her vomit.
    Yes but humans instinctively know not to eat excrement as the smell is a repellent (adults) So do dogs possess that intelligence? They WILL eat it if they want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Doylez View Post
    I've seen my dog eat his own puke, yellow snow and used toilet paper.
    So no thanks, I'd rather not have that stuff in my face.
    I don't understand that line of reasoning. When you kiss women do you think of how many male penises you just sucked on?

Who doesn't put the lid down!? :ewww:
    Too much effort for the little return on investment you get from it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Must be awesome to remember every memory to birth. You'd be surprised what we learn without remembering it.
    Must be awesome posing an untestable hypothesis.

Oh, wait, yeah, that's not a valid scientific hypothesis because it cannot be properly tested out, at least not momentarily and not by me. Therefor it's absolutely nothing more than an opinion.

Until you cite a source.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes but humans instinctively know not to eat excrement as the smell is a repellent (adults) So do dogs possess that intelligence? They WILL eat it if they want to.
    Perhaps the aroma of dog shit is pleasant to a dog's olfactory system.

I'm allergic so hell no.

10+ Year Old Account
    idk some babies eat their own poop

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Celltrex View Post
    Their owner? The training?
    LOL, no amount of training or owner responsibility can ENSURE that dogs will be disgusted at the mere sight of their or other's poop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Must be awesome posing an untestable hypothesis.

Oh, wait, yeah, that's not a valid scientific hypothesis because it cannot be properly tested out, at least not momentarily and not by me. Therefor it's absolutely nothing more than an opinion.

Until you cite a source.
    Just as valid as your proposal that dirty dogs are built in to our DNA.

And since when is Nature vs. Nurture a non-testable hypothesis?

I dont believe this, in rural places people will pick apart dung for seeds and such to eat or will use it in fires.

idk some babies eat their own poop
    And and and i went through all the trouble of mentioning poop teas and stuff!
    Yes, its a normal behavior between many species of animals to eat others poop, it shares and boosts immunity and ability to digest certain foods.