Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimord View Post
    I see. I've been working towards a Panzerkampfwagen IV mostly because I've always loved that tank (got a bunch of models) but I guess I'll give a try on the German TDs then!

Also, I've found a friend that also plays WoT and he, like you, also is working on French Artillery... Guess I gotta try those too ^^.
    They're a little rough starting out, but the tier 3 Lorraine sets the pace for the rest of the line - relatively accurate and very nimble, but their punch is a tad weak. They're a good choice for someone that likes to shoot, scoot, and shoot again.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Deleted
    Only at about T6 myself, been playing since beta too. :V Issue I have is that most of the time my team is being silly, no planned ambushes or patience. Everyone rushes out to meet the enemy team head on, then we have 'suicide scouts', players in fast tanks who rush to the enemy start point, spot them all, then inevitably get blown up. They actually don't get many credits or XP from JUST spotting enemies, people need to damage them and they need to stay in sight. If you die, all spotted tanks you just spotted will vanish from your friendly team view after a few seconds, so it's a waste of a good scout every time. -_-

Deleted
    Hah yea, some people like to die for nothing. From the little I played with light tanks I found the most successful was to either draw them into my team's heavier tanks or just camp it out a bit between buildings/bushes to try and catch them by surprise.

I also got a medium, forgot the name, that seems real nice. It's fast, like a light tank, and with some decent armor and punch... Pretty reliable to try and drag them into our TDs or Heavies range.

Deleted
    There are two ways to scout:

You can get in a light, speedy tank and zip around, spotting enemy tanks but never going into direct danger. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_8c1yN_B0A

Alternatively, you can get a tank which is relatively low in size and has high view distance (Or train your commander) and camp in a bush near a well-used path way ahead of your heavies. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEG4jyGGXm4 Just remember, don't poke any parts of your tank out of the front! Make sure your entire tank is hidden by a white outline from where the enemy is looking!

Those videos are -fantastic- guides on how to not suck at scouting.

I've been playing for a couple months, my highest tank is my Panther(tier 7). Slowly working on grinding out the credits for my Panther II. Would of had it already if I would stop buying and selling tanks. ><

I see. I've been working towards a Panzerkampfwagen IV mostly because I've always loved that tank (got a bunch of models) but I guess I'll give a try on the German TDs then!

Also, I've found a friend that also plays WoT and he, like you, also is working on French Artillery... Guess I gotta try those too ^^.
    Make sure to get the 105mm gun and run premium rounds in it. Also helps to have vents/rammer/GLD on it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noobadin View Post
    I've been playing for a couple months, my highest tank is my Panther(tier 7). Slowly working on grinding out the credits for my Panther II. Would of had it already if I would stop buying and selling tanks. ><

Make sure to get the 105mm gun and run premium rounds in it. Also helps to have vents/rammer/GLD on it.
    Premium rounds are really a complete waste, just learn to aim. Vents and rammers and stuff are great, but they're hugely expensive to the point that buying one can mean you can't buy your next tank when you unlock it. Better to buy the next tank and worry about equipment later.
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.

Deleted
    Thanks for the scouting guide videos, they really helped!

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    Premium rounds are really a complete waste, just learn to aim.
    I wouldn't say they're completely a waste. They can be very useful when you get tossed into matches when most of the enemy tanks/tds are 2-3 tiers higher.
    Vents and rammers and stuff are great, but they're hugely expensive to the point that buying one can mean you can't buy your next tank when you unlock it. Better to buy the next tank and worry about equipment later.
    Ehh, I don't see the problem with upgrading the tank/td/spg you have with equipment if you plan on keeping it. You can always demount them for gold and use them on your next tank(assuming they're compatible). Of course if the tank is just being used to get to the next tier and you have no intentions of keeping it, then I can see why getting the equipment isn't worth it.

Deleted
    Been trying Artillery for the last few rounds and I gotta say I really like it. Using the Tier 2 french arty atm and in the last game I managed to bag 3 tanks without getting hit once!

But, I gotta ask them noob questions... You gotta have 100% training in a Vehicle crew to get perks, so this prompts two questions:

1) I have Driver Bob with 100% on Medium Tanks, then I switch him to Heavy Tanks and get him to 100%. If I then switch him back to Mediums will he still keep 100% on both?

2) Commander Matt learns the 'Sixth Sense' perk to 100%. Will it then be a perma perk or do I have to keep it selected to benefit from it?

Deleted
    I believe training overwrites when you change tanks. But he retains a certain % based on whether the new tank is the same type or not.
    I dunno, never gotten a perk to 100%...

Personally I don't like arty, nobody in PuG matches will defend you properly as they all rush off in bloodlust, so I usually get backstabbed by scouts. And at higher tiers the shells are ungodly expensive and you can only carry a VERY limited number, so if I run out, I'm useless. So no arty for me. :V

As for premium shells...don't bother, really. If you're getting hit in the first place, you're doing something wrong. EG: not hiding/moving or not in proper cover, let yourself get flanked, etc. And premium shells as far as I know are only -needed- for Clan Wars where every possible edge is needed and desired by clans. And I dunno about you, but I don't like the idea of firing my RL money at tanks, if the shot misses or it didn't do damage, my money was wasted anyway.

Been trying Artillery for the last few rounds and I gotta say I really like it. Using the Tier 2 french arty atm and in the last game I managed to bag 3 tanks without getting hit once!
    I can't stand playing as an arty. I can never seem to hit anything while playing as one.
    But, I gotta ask them noob questions... You gotta have 100% training in a Vehicle crew to get perks, so this prompts two questions:

1) I have Driver Bob with 100% on Medium Tanks, then I switch him to Heavy Tanks and get him to 100%. If I then switch him back to Mediums will he still keep 100% on both?
    I don't know to be honest. I've never done this before.

2) Commander Matt learns the 'Sixth Sense' perk to 100%. Will it then be a perma perk or do I have to keep it selected to benefit from it?
    Once it's at 100% you keep it and get another slot to select a new perk to start training. I think you can get up to 4 perks.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't say they're completely a waste. They can be very useful when you get tossed into matches when most of the enemy tanks/tds are 2-3 tiers higher. Ehh, I don't see the problem with upgrading the tank/td/spg you have with equipment if you plan on keeping it. You can always demount them for gold and use them on your next tank(assuming they're compatible). Of course if the tank is just being used to get to the next tier and you have no intentions of keeping it, then I can see why getting the equipment isn't worth it.
    It depends on what kind of tanks you're talking about. You can basically always track a tank, and even premium rounds won't pen the front of some tanks, no matter how good your gun is. Armor slope and location matter a lot more than raw penetration or damage on your shells.

Generally speaking if I can't pen a tank I'm shooting at or need to shoot at, I just switch to HE shells and try to damage modules. Especially against higher-tier heavies, tracking them is extremely useful for your team and will almost certainly result in a kill once they can't dodge arty anymore.

I can't stand playing as an arty. I can never seem to hit anything while playing as one.
    Arty doesn't get really fun until tier 4 or so, and tier 5 is when it really starts to take off. Most tier 2 arty is pretty lousy; if you want to play German arty, I really recommend just skipping the Bison entirely and starting with the Wespe. The Bison is... really bad.

French arty is very entertaining. Pretty accurate and they move very fast. Don't seem to hit as hard as others, though.

It depends on what kind of tanks you're talking about. You can basically always track a tank, and even premium rounds won't pen the front of some tanks, no matter how good your gun is. Armor slope and location matter a lot more than raw penetration or damage on your shells.
    Oh I agree with you on that. Shot placement on your target is far more important than the penetration potential of your round.
    Generally speaking if I can't pen a tank I'm shooting at or need to shoot at, I just switch to HE shells and try to damage modules. Especially against higher-tier heavies, tracking them is extremely useful for your team and will almost certainly result in a kill once they can't dodge arty anymore.
    Well that's what I do to when I want to make credits. If I'm not worried about credits I'll just switch to premium ammo and start shooting that. Ehh trying to get people to attack what you've track in MM matches is impossible, too many idiots not paying attention or doing their own thing, kind of like LFR/LFD/random BGs in WoW. I would assume in organized play it would be a lot more effective.

Arty doesn't get really fun until tier 4 or so, and tier 5 is when it really starts to take off. Most tier 2 arty is pretty lousy; if you want to play German arty, I really recommend just skipping the Bison entirely and starting with the Wespe. The Bison is... really bad.
    I know the bison was awful I played a couple games in and decided to just get the wespe. I really just don't like the whole sitting back in one spot(yeah I know to move after you shot) the match. I just like to mostly always be on the move in game. I guess that's why I like playing scouts and meds. I don't really like heavies that much either. I've bought and sold the Tiger twice already.

French arty is very entertaining. Pretty accurate and they move very fast. Don't seem to hit as hard as others, though.
    I guess I'll have to give them French artillery a try sometime. Maybe after I get done with this God awful AMX 40 grind....

Deleted
    Guys, need help picking my next tank :P.

I was thinking about working towards a Tiger II but I've been watching General chat in game a bit and pretty much everyone seems to laud the KV-1 as being a great tank... Which one would you pick?

Also, once again thanks for all the help and tips.

depends on your playstyle and preferences entirely.
    but KV-1 has a large pro - it farms good, and is very strong when on top of the team.
    Tiger II, while being your typical German sniping TD (yes, all german tanks basically behave like TD's due to enormous sizes and accurate guns), otoh, has a large pro too - it unlocks E75, which is a fething fortress on tracks, and a nimble one to boot.

Deleted
    I see, thanks!

Btw, are you on General chat right now? I asked a similar question there a while back and someone started his reply just like you :P.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm the Sorrow View Post
    depends on your playstyle and preferences entirely.
    but KV-1 has a large pro - it farms good, and is very strong when on top of the team.
    Tiger II, while being your typical German sniping TD (yes, all german tanks basically behave like TD's due to enormous sizes and accurate guns), otoh, has a large pro too - it unlocks E75, which is a fething fortress on tracks, and a nimble one to boot.
    Yeah, E-75's only real weakpoint is the little commander's cupola on the top of the turret, it's pretty hard to hit unless you're close and already have your gun sighted in.

And I'd recommend everyone get the StuG III. Damned thing is absolutely amazing, combining a powerful, accurate gun with excellent camo and a pretty nimble chassis.

Derp gunning on the Hetzer is also really fun.

Yeah, E-75's only real weakpoint is the little commander's cupola on the top of the turret, it's pretty hard to hit unless you're close and already have your gun sighted in.

And I'd recommend everyone get the StuG III. Damned thing is absolutely amazing, combining a powerful, accurate gun with excellent camo and a pretty nimble chassis.

Derp gunning on the Hetzer is also really fun.
    E75 has a few "traditional" German tanks weaknesses, namely - transmission in the front, and a traditionally large lower frontal part. Otherwise, its just plain awesome.

about StuG.. I dunno if SU-122-44 is sold on EU servers, but if it is, buy it, its a cheap premium Soviet TD tier-7.
    Absolutely stealthy, somewhat blind, nimble like t-44(its build on t-44's base actually), which packs a punch of 390 points on average, with a cooldown of 6,5 seconds(!).
    It'll rock your socks off.

Deleted
    Thanks folks.

One more!

When should you favor HE Shells over Penetrating ones or vice-versa? Not really sure about that >.<.

Thanks folks.

One more!

When should you favor HE Shells over Penetrating ones or vice-versa? Not really sure about that >.<.
    when you are using guns which prefer HE ammo, obviously
    other than that, HE is useful for a sure-hit deny of base capture, or as a means for irritating/dealing minor damage when there is no way to use Penetrating ammo.
    Also, E100 and a few more tanks can use HE just as well as Penetrating ammo .