Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Ring of Peace - possible exploits?

If Ring of Peace went live, wouldn't it be possible to stack monks and have all sorts of exploits:

1. WSG/Battle for Gilneas - 5 monks casting RoP on the FC in turns, from the moment he picks up the flag, all the way to the base. 40 sec immunity to melees.

2. Another scenario - defending the glaieves in IoC. A total of 5 monks could create a 40sec disarm/silence zone around the glaives if they cast Ring of Peace in turns, thus making melees useless.

3. Another scenario - would be rather hilarious. AV battle - 15 monks would be enough to take turns with Ring of Peace around Drek/Galv, casting it in turns. By the time the 15th monk has used his RoP, the CD of the first would be back . This would be a perma-melee-immune zone. All melees would be totally useless unless they stand out of the zone and cast some stuff.

Due to the nature of the spell (a zone, so no DR/trinket), I think it cannot go live as is.

So what do you think guys, could the situations I described above be considered exploits?

I'm pretty sure the ability obeys the DR rules so trying to chain them will give you immune all around. At least that's what I think.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by pkm View Post
    I'm pretty sure the ability obeys the DR rules so trying to chain them will give you immune all around. At least that's what I think.
    Correct, Silence effects have shared DR since patch 3.0.8

Disarms have had DR since patch 2.3.0 (plus their duration can be reduced by a weapon chain and DK Runeforge)

But nothing stops it being used with Ring of frost or any other type of aoe cc on a different DR.

Deleted
    RoP is currently NOT affected by DRs. Almost certainly unintended though I'd think.

rogue monk + 1 other, Smoke bomb, RoP the target in bomb

healer come in to heal. LOLJK

10+ Year Old Account
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Ring of Peace create a zone around the monk who uses it?

If that is the case, then the OP is correct - if 4 different monks each cast it on themselves, there wouldn't be any diminishing returns. It has a 1.5 second cooldown right now (according to Wowpedia), so one single monk wouldn't be able to chain-cast it by themself, but if it didn't have a cooldown I could see it being affected by diminishing returns.

I mean, if you've just been blanket silenced then you get Solarbeam thrown on top of you, it still silences you for as long as you stay within that field. Because it's a zone, not a targeted debuff, I imagine the effect will simply last the duration that the zone is up - in which case, this is too powerful a toy to give to anyone. Remove the silence aspect and it would be okay; they're supposed to be removing mindless blanket silence effects in 5.2, not adding new ones, and monks have an interrupt with a silence effect already.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steampunkette View Post
    Didn't help that he had Sky Admiral Warcrimes McEvillaugh flying his airship for him.
    hi im tydrane from dranasuss

Quote Originally Posted by Gnolp View Post
    RoP is currently NOT affected by DRs. Almost certainly unintended though I'd think.
    I'm pretty sure it is intended, but a completely fucking ridiculous oversight by Blizzard. Like the OP said, where it is a 'zone' it won't share a DR. (Much like Smokebomb - it doesn't DR if 2 rogues cast it one after another -- and as Inahu says above me, Solar Beam).

Blizzards argument for it is that you could just run out of it. What they don't realize is that 8 seconds is a huge amount of time, and nearly every class comes with passive slows and roots.

Example of RoP stupidness:

Rogue/Monk/Monk. (WW/MV or WW/WW). Mass stealth in, pop all CDs and cheap(6)>garrote(4)>kidney(3)>ringofpeace(8)>ringofpeace(8).

The initial (nearly unavoidable) rogue opener lasts as long as a sap/blind on both partners lasts. After which the rogue could smoke bomb (to force the DPS in) while a monk does his first ring of peace. After the second ring of peace, silence would be off DR so he could shadow dance garrote, which would then finish just as stun DR came off.

Long story short though, RoP pretty much encourages tunneling healers.

I cant believe this spell is still here. It just screams overpowered D:

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregz21 View Post
    If Ring of Peace went live, wouldn't it be possible to stack monks and have all sorts of exploits:

1. WSG/Battle for Gilneas - 5 monks casting RoP on the FC in turns, from the moment he picks up the flag, all the way to the base. 40 sec immunity to melees.

2. Another scenario - defending the glaieves in IoC. A total of 5 monks could create a 40sec disarm/silence zone around the glaives if they cast Ring of Peace in turns, thus making melees useless.

3. Another scenario - would be rather hilarious. AV battle - 15 monks would be enough to take turns with Ring of Peace around Drek/Galv, casting it in turns. By the time the 15th monk has used his RoP, the CD of the first would be back . This would be a perma-melee-immune zone. All melees would be totally useless unless they stand out of the zone and cast some stuff.

Due to the nature of the spell (a zone, so no DR/trinket), I think it cannot go live as is.

So what do you think guys, could the situations I described above be considered exploits?
    1) you mean twinpeaks not battle of gilneas

First of all, only melee attacks that require a weapon can not be used, a warrior can still shockwave you or fear you, a feral will still eat you alive, etc.
    Secondly, you really think you can make monks chain it that good in a random group or that a RBG group will ever use 5 monks? I think not.

It's a strong ability, especially when used in combination with smoke bomb, but monk stacking is not going to happen.

Deleted
    whole ability shouldnt make it to live ever.

Deleted
    IF this makes it to live , it will be a huge buff and way to OP

Rogue / Monk / Healer ( or 1 frost mage ) would become SO OP they will rofl to 2.6k

10+ Year Old Account
    One ring....to rule them all.

But seriously, eh--I'm sure after all the crazy exploits, it'll get nerfed, and then people will whine (--If you don't want it nerfed, don't abuse it..)
    Howay the lads!

Deleted
    rop will just balance ww monk for pvp. sure, its powerful, but we havent any roflroflololo dmg faceroll cds, so we have to work with cc.
    its like an 8sec dmg cd.

atm noone want a ww monk in rbg and they are very rare in arena, so they have to give us something useful.
    but i dont know if mw monks should get this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobsagget View Post

But seriously, eh--I'm sure after all the crazy exploits, it'll get nerfed, and then people will whine (--If you don't want it nerfed, don't abuse it..)
    It is certainly not the players fault if Blizzard brings an ability into the game which allows to easily chain CC anyone.

Why not tell OP Class X not to abuse their OP Skill Y? if it's allowed, you can use it until Blizzard steps in with nerfs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightflare View Post
    rop will just balance ww monk for pvp. sure, its powerful, but we havent any roflroflololo dmg faceroll cds, so we have to work with cc.
    its like an 8sec dmg cd.

atm noone want a ww monk in rbg and they are very rare in arena, so they have to give us something useful.
    but i dont know if mw monks should get this.
    WW just needs some QoL changes to get in a very good spot for PvP, they are getting seriously overbuffed now.
    Same story for rogues, more or less, they just needed better defenses against melee

Deleted
    First of all, it's only 8 yards. So it's not preventing casters. Second of all, frost DKs and ferals will still be able to deal some sort of damage. Lastly it wont ever happen in a random BG because of the coordination required, and in RBGs I dont think you will see 5 monks on the same team in a 10man. Even then it will be less gimimicky than aoe-gripping a team into solarbeam + ursol's vortex.
    Quote Originally Posted by rzy View Post

Just RoP the healer. Free 8 second silence on the person.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Niberion View Post
    ... a feral will still eat you alive, etc.
    Correct me if I'm wrong (I'll have to test later), but I think they made Feral damage be more weapon based lately. So if you disarm a Feral his damage will drop dramatically. I'll have to test this later.

---------- Post added 2013-01-15 at 04:49 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Funkthepunk View Post
    Even then it will be less gimimicky than aoe-gripping a team into solarbeam + ursol's vortex.
    Eh, I dont' think you'll see 5, but you'll probably see one, and they will add that Ring of Peace into that Mass AE trick.

but doesn't Ring of Peace create a zone around the monk who uses it?
    Unless they changed it recently, RoP can be cast on yourself, allies or enemies. The ring will "stick" to your target and follow it around for 8 seconds.

Imagine solar beam following people that also disarm.

Quote Originally Posted by rzy View Post

This can already be accomplished by solar beam....

Quote Originally Posted by Malgru View Post
    This can already be accomplished by solar beam....
    Boomkin / Rogue synergy isn't all that great at all. The only time they somewhat worked well together was late Cata when you could setup a 100-0 in a beambomb, and even then it wasn't as good as Lock/Rogue, Spriest/Rogue, Hunter/Rogue, Mage/Rogue for Rogues and Mage/Boomer, Lock/Boomer, Spriest/Boomer, Ele/Boomer for Balance druids.

Any rogue comp with a monk healer will be able to achieve a RoP-bomb. AND it includes disarm. AND the RoP is 'moveable' if the target blinks / leaps / displacers / gets gripped out of the bomb (cast it on the nuke target). There is a few reasons why a ring of peace with bomb is more potent than a beambomb.

Imagine a Warrior or Feral CD stacking while you get RoP-bombed on by a shadow blades dancing rogue. Literally 0 chance to survive unless you're a paladin with bubble.
    Last edited by Snuggli; 2013-01-15 at 10:23 PM.