Global warming is a fact, just the causes are heavily debated.

I think for anyone who does any serious (so, look at the actual scientific reports) research it's pretty obvious that we're not helping the situation, though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    If it was, then he hasn't made it very clear. His posts read like he's disputing the idea that we will ever run out of oil.

Nobody cares. This irrelevant to the real debate over climate change. "Leftist", indeed.
    I made my point clear, we will not run out of oil, we will not run out of cheap oil in my lifetime.

Someone brought resources depletion to the debate, so someone cared. It has a lot to do with climate change or global warming or whatever it's called, the enviromentalist paradigm (I'm generous here) has changed from the exhausting of resources to the evil of those same resources. When they realised they couldn't keep telling the "running out of X" lie they changed to blaming the use of the same resources "we should have exhausted years ago".

Stopping right now, the mod posted while i was typing.

Quote Originally Posted by anyaka21 View Post
    There have been many threads about global warming in this off-topic forum, and it usually has the pro-global warming saying "give me a study to back up your claims or gtfo." Now we have this thread with no evidence, just 1 subjective observation from somewhere in Canada...
    You should probably read the thread before saying it has no evidence. The OP doesn't but the rest of the thread is chocked full of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    One thing that cracks me up is that, politically, the same side that is against government austerity is pro-energy austerity.
    indignantgoat.com/
    XBL: Indignant Goat | BattleTag: IndiGoat#1288 | SteamID: Indignant Goat[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by larrakeyah View Post
    When they realised they couldn't keep telling the "running out of X" lie they changed to blaming the use of the same resources "we should have exhausted years ago".
    Who is "they"?

---------- Post added 2013-01-15 at 09:40 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by bergmann620 View Post
    One thing that cracks me up is that, politically, the same side that is against government austerity is pro-energy austerity.
    I don't know why that's funny. Two expressions having the same word doesn't somehow make them related; being in favor of cutting one thing doesn't mean that one wants to cut anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    I made my point clear, we will not run out of oil, we will not run out of cheap oil in my lifetime.
    If you're flexible on the definition of "cheap", sure. The Athabasca oil sands/tar sands/whatever they're called this week have epic amounts of oil. It's just slow, messy, and expensive to extract that oil and is further annoyance to get it into a useful form.

15+ Year Old Account
    We have 250 years of oil left.

That doesn't mean that all 250 of those years will be cheap. Extraction can get expensive when the sources become inefficient.

That's not even taking into consideration the effects on the environment, which is what this entire thread is about.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleros View Post
    That's not even taking into consideration the effects on the environment, which is what this entire thread is about.
    Actually the inevitable end of oil was brought up as an additional selling point to green energy, aside from the main point which was the environment. So I don't think it was totally off topic for the hippies to bring it up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post

I don't know why that's funny. Two expressions having the same word doesn't somehow make them related; being in favor of cutting one thing doesn't mean that one wants to cut anything.
    The essence of government right there.

My point is simple:

If cutting government spending is going to harm the 'recovery', wouldn't escalating energy costs do the same?
    indignantgoat.com/

The essence of government right there.
    What, being discriminant in spending? It seems like you're just spouting taglines at this point.

If cutting government spending is going to harm the 'recovery', wouldn't escalating energy costs do the same?
    The two aren't really even related. People proposing climate mitigation strategies implemented over decades aren't at all arguing the same thing as people that want to cut hundreds of billions in spending now, now, NOW.

So, I guess the humor is in torching the fuck out of strawmen. Have fun, I guess.

10+ Year Old Account
    What, being discriminant in spending? It seems like you're just spouting taglines at this point.
    You didn't read the bolded part very carefully, did you?

The two aren't really even related. People proposing climate mitigation strategies implemented over decades aren't at all arguing the same thing as people that want to cut hundreds of billions in spending now, now, NOW.
    Electricity in California costs twice the national average. NOW.

California has also been declared the worst place to start a business in the country for like 9 years running.

They have plenty of climate mitigation strategies in play, though.
    indignantgoat.com/

You didn't read the bolded part very carefully, did you?

Electricity in California costs twice the national average. NOW.

California has also been declared the worst place to start a business in the country for like 9 years running.

They have plenty of climate mitigation strategies in play, though.
    California utility companies are pieces of shit and I'm more inclined to believe that the high costs here are because they're fucking bastards and not so much due to environmental regulation. At one point, water usage was down in San Diego because people were conserving water to save money (and for various other reasons, maybe). What was the water company's response to people being good and conserving water? They raised the rates because profits went down. We used less water and ended up paying more. Regulations provide a convenient scapegoat; they can screw us and blame it on regulations.

Hell, in Taiwan the water companies actually thank you when you use less water, not charge you more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    California utility companies are pieces of shit and I'm more inclined to believe that the high costs here are because they're fucking bastards and not so much due to environmental regulation.
    http://www.manhattan-institute.org/html/eper_10.htm

It's a bit dense, but it's worth the read.

Climate changed has happened before continues to happen and will continue to happen as long as there is an earth.

Did you know it was a lot hotter during the time of the dinosaurs than now?

We have geologically speaking just come out of an iceage. Now are we adding to this? Probably but we've only have a few years of data to go by and with these sorts of things more study is required.

One thing is for sure we are consuming a lot of the natural resources, look at fish for example we really should be allowing fish stocks to re-supply more effectively but in the EU they just allow them to continue over fishing. madness to the max.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by khalltusk View Post
    Climate changed has happened before continues to happen and will continue to happen as long as there is an earth.

Did you know it was a lot hotter during the time of the dinosaurs than now?

We have geologically speaking just come out of an iceage. Now are we adding to this? Probably but we've only have a few years of data to go by and with these sorts of things more study is required.
    This has been addressed already.

http://www.manhattan-institute.org/html/eper_10.htm

It's a bit dense, but it's worth the read.
    Yea, that's why I said in my post that I'm more inclined to believe what I wrote if only because we've been screwed so hard by the water company. Never said it was based in reality, since I haven't done anywhere near enough research to make an actual informed statement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by Aleros View Post
    Back in 2000, I bought a large pack of dimmable energy saving "green" light bulbs. They had a 10 year guarantee on them that said if they failed before 10 years, you could mail the entire package in for a replacement (with proof of purchase date etc). That package and the receipt are still sitting in the top of my closet 12 years later, and not a single one of them has blown... I should probably just throw it away at this point since the warranty on them is no longer in date.

There are probably a lot of poorly made ones out there that are indeed to gouge you for your money, but look out for the ones with warranties and guarantees. They're probably going to hold themselves to a much higher standard of quality and lasting power if people will actually hold them to that promise of quality.
    With a CFL they just add enough mercury vapor to meet the lifespan they are guaranteeing.

Mercury in the bulb will be destroyed, absorbed eventually, the lifespan is mostly a how much they put in the bulb.

Also the phosphor also degrades and is destroyed.

120v->ballast->Mercury vapor->UV light->phosphor->visible light

In every CFL there are 3 things that WILL go eventually. The ballast (depending on quality), The Mercury (depending on quantity) and the Phosphor (also depending on quantity).

So it's quite possible to make relatively long lasting CFL bulbs, but in general they will just try and meet the requirements they market them at.
    The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities.