Page 1 of 2
LastLast

The "spin" in the Media.

This IS NOT A GUN DEBATE. This IS to point out the bullshit in the Media and to bring to light the concept of "Agenda."

It wasn't until it was posted in another thread that I had even heard of ....
    http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...-violence?lite

Now, I find this to be a super duper example of bullshit in the media. I will start by saying that the NRA probably should have pulled the App in order to tackle a PR nightmare which is the Modern Media at this point. I say that not because I find anything wrong with the App but rather because you can't win vs idiots feeding idiots.

Now, let me address a few really fucking important key facts in this whole issue.

For those of you who don't know and for the media who is paid too much money to do so fucking little, when you create and App for the iOS that product must be submitted to Apple for approval. There is currently NO known turn around time for that App to get approval and be put up on the market. This process has taken days to months depending on the App since FOREVER.

Furthermore, APPLE not the NRA supplied the User Rating. When you fill out information when submitting an App on iOS there is a section created by APPLE to determine the user rating for the game. It is APPLE created metrics which does this.

In short, the two real "issues" being the release date and the user rating in which the MEDIA seems to be all in a fucking riot over has ZERO control held by the NRA. Now, I've yet to find an article which actually brings up anything remotely close to "guessing" at these two facts.

The other part which is completely hose shit is this "Coffin Shaped" targets.

Really? Those are coffin shaped? In what fucking century or planet?
    I guess if we forget Geometry they do look exactly like
    Maybe they should have just gone with
    At least then the complaint could have been that they were "Human" shaped targets... even if the "Human" was a piece of shit?

The last bit which really pisses me off and it should also piss of GAMERS is this idea that this piece of shit App is a "Violent Video Game" which is an ACTUAL social issue that is perhaps worth having. The Jimquisition did a fair job at it last week. But the Media, who are often on Board with banning "Violent" media, and the law makers who provide the laws, love to claim an equal between something like this NRA piece of shit and Grand Theft Auto. It's stupidity like this which leads to bill proposals like the one in California last year.

10+ Year Old Account
    Welcome to MMO-C Bill O'Reilly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cz75fan View Post
    The last bit which really pisses me off and it should also piss of GAMERS is this idea that this piece of shit App is a "Violent Video Game" which is an ACTUAL social issue that is perhaps worth having. The Jimquisition did a fair job at it last week. But the Media, who are often on Board with banning "Violent" media, and the law makers who provide the laws, love to claim an equal between something like this NRA piece of shit and Grand Theft Auto. It's stupidity like this which leads to bill proposals like the one in California last year.
    This isn't an issue of media spin, this is an issue of the NRA being egregious hypocrites. In the aftermath of Sandy Hook, they attacked "violent video games" as contributing to the culture of violence that led to the attack, as distinct from the availability of guns. While I think that statement is a giant load of bovine excrement for a host of statistical reasons that are so well known they don't bear repeating, the hypocrisy comes from the NRA releasing a video game precisely like the ones they denounced.

Shooting at human-shaped targets with clear scoring markings on them is no different than shooting at human-shaped game avatars and earning points for "killing" them. If you can distinguish between the targets at a range and living, breathing people in reality, you can do the same between video games and reality as well. The entire issue is a non-starter, and shouldn't have been brought up, but the issue is the the NRA made a really big deal about the damage they believe video games cause, and then they deliberately contributed to it with their own.

It's like if your religion said that eating meat was wrong because killing animals for sustenance was a sin, and to raise money for your faith group, you decided to hold a barbeque, with burgers, sausages, steaks, chicken breasts, and a full roast pig on a spit. Yes, society might agree there's nothing wrong with barbeques. But you're a raging hypocrite and should be denounced as such.

There's no media "spin" here, the NRA are just hypocrites and don't like it being pointed out.
    Last edited by Endus; 2013-01-15 at 05:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    There's no media "spin" here, the NRA are just hypocrites and don't like it being pointed out.
    There is so much bullshit in your post it's hard to even tackle. You ignored the facts of the matter. You qualified the App to being on par with the likes of CoD or even Dishonored, and what's worse is that you seemingly believe it.

Welcome to the problem.

The other part which is completely hose shit is this "Coffin Shaped" targets.
    Really? Those are coffin shaped? In what fucking century or planet?
    I might have found this section particularly amusing if it wasn't so sad. I'm not sure what you're getting at, since the shapes are pretty much identical (except for the extra "head" section in the game).

If an organization is going to condemn violent video games and then release a video game about shooting things, they may want to re-evaluate their...um...intelligence.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    I might have found this section particularly amusing if it wasn't so sad. I'm not sure what you're getting at, since the shapes are pretty much identical (except for the extra "head" section in the game).

If an organization is going to condemn violent video games and then release a video game about shooting things, they may want to re-evaluate their...um...intelligence.
    Well considering that the latter image of a coffin hasn't been used for roughly 100 years or more in the United States and that most "children" since that is the whole focus of this debate are more familiar with...

wait not that one I meant

then I'm really confused. It isn't like they didn't use multiple designs for targets. Wouldn't the better accusation have been they made "People" shaped targets? However, since again the focus here is to tie things back to Sandy then it would be hard to find a connection to the outline being of "children." But again since there were dead kids the obvious point is that they are "coffin" shaped. Gotta bring it back to something RIGHT??

Now, I'll say it again as I have in several places already and you can look through my posts, I'm not a fan of the NRA. However, I'm less of a fan of the Media and their desire to make money off of bullshit. It's this grandstanding and sensationalism which has more to do with inspiring the mentally ill than video games do, but that doesn't mean that violent video games, music, or movies have zero part either. What it does mean is that mentally fucking retarded people shouldn't have access to this content and that fault lies on the god damn parents. However, trying to make an connection and pin blame on a company with zero fucking attempts at this thing called "investigative" wait fuck that just simple "journalism" is god damn appalling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just because they said games are responsible for these shootings, they did not mean their own game. It's the media!!! Boo!!!
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    You seem really really angry.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    That's the influence the media has on him. If he goes playing Dishonored, he might use a gun to go kill people. Let's hope he plays the NRA game, because unlike Dishonored, their game does not cause people to use guns to kill.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    Just because they said games are responsible for these shootings, they did not mean their own game. It's the media!!! Boo!!!
    Actually, they didn't say they were responsible. The Media, in reporting the coverage, claimed that was the NRA's stance. The NRA's stance was that the Entertainment Media, who supplies and endless supply of glorification of murder and violence, really shouldn't be pointing fingers and that considering the state of our Entertainment Industry it isn't a surprise people commit these acts.

Again, the reaction here is, "No it's not the influence it's the act of the tool." In logic terms it is as if saying that if people didn't have access to rope they wouldn't have hung themselves. While true, the implication is that they would uncountably still be alive and not have chosen a different source to their end.

This idea leads to the conflict of how we do not focus on fixing or helping to make sure people don't try to murder or commit mass murders as much as we only want to focus on what means they go about doing it.

Which is my problem with this current attack. The NRA didn't directly BLAME anyone one. It merely pointed out the hypocrisy an industry making billions off of violence was currently trying to pass any responsibility off on.

Further more, since when does the NRA pass laws? Shouldn't the complaint be the Government?

---------- Post added 2013-01-15 at 01:20 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I am really really angry. I read the bill proposed in California very closely last year. I've also read a great deal of the media ban and regulation bills proposed over the last few years. It's extremely fucking annoying that people who "care" about video games and their freedom are too chickenshit to defend the medium when there is a clear cause of neutrality to do so because they are more annoyed at another orginiztaion.

Gamer should be outraged more about things like this then the fucking Mass Effect ending or the adverts for Hitman. But instead, because it would call attention as to how this was a time in which the NRA (who are retarded) are actually not at blame for what the Media is pending on them while lumping other things equal, gamers are too widely comfortable to just sit back and let it happen but then bitch when the latter effects transpire.

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually, they didn't say they were responsible. The Media, in reporting the coverage, claimed that was the NRA's stance. The NRA's stance was that the Entertainment Media, who supplies and endless supply of glorification of murder and violence, really shouldn't be pointing fingers and that considering the state of our Entertainment Industry it isn't a surprise people commit these acts.
    So they used more than just 'influence' to call it influence? It isn't a suprise, but that is in no way pointing fingers of influence. No way... No how... It's not like he actually went on to list specific games... That's funny...

Again, the reaction here is, "No it's not the influence it's the act of the tool." In logic terms it is as if saying that if people didn't have access to rope they wouldn't have hung themselves. While true, the implication is that they would uncountably still be alive and not have chosen a different source to their end.
    You think a gun is like a rope? If you have rope, why do you need a gun? You think a weapon is equivalent to a rope? It isn't a surprise that with the media we have, you would believe such a thing.

This idea leads to the conflict of how we do not focus on fixing or helping to make sure people don't try to murder or commit mass murders as much as we only want to focus on what means they go about doing it.

Which is my problem with this current attack. The NRA didn't directly BLAME anyone one. It merely pointed out the hypocrisy an industry making billions off of violence was currently trying to pass any responsibility off on.

Further more, since when does the NRA pass laws? Shouldn't the complaint be the Government?
    With NRA tactics the way they are, it isn't a surprise that you would say such things. Notice how I am not blaming the NRA...

10+ Year Old Account
    That is simply not true. It's egregiously untrue, so much so it seems it must be deliberate.

From an NRA press conference on Dec 21, 2012;
    "There exists in this country a callous, corrupt and corrupting shadow industry that sells, and sows, violence against its own people. Through vicious, violent video games with names like Bulletstorm, Grand Theft Auto, Mortal Kombat and Splatterhouse."

http://www.politisite.com/2012/12/21...ember-21-2012/

They very clearly and specifically pointed fingers at the video game industry and stated they were responsible. Go read the transcript or watch the video.

For someone who's supposedly crying out against "spin", you're certainly trying awfully hard to spin this against the media, in exactly the kind of way the NRA fallaciously did in that press conference.

10+ Year Old Account
    The easiest way to combat harmful media bias is the stop watching biased sources. They'll stop acting like asshats only if they start losing money by acting like asshats.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

This isn't an issue of media spin, this is an issue of the NRA being egregious hypocrites. In the aftermath of Sandy Hook, they attacked "violent video games" as contributing to the culture of violence that led to the attack, as distinct from the availability of guns. While I think that statement is a giant load of bovine excrement for a host of statistical reasons that are so well known they don't bear repeating, the hypocrisy comes from the NRA releasing a video game precisely like the ones they denounced.

Shooting at human-shaped targets with clear scoring markings on them is no different than shooting at human-shaped game avatars and earning points for "killing" them. If you can distinguish between the targets at a range and living, breathing people in reality, you can do the same between video games and reality as well. The entire issue is a non-starter, and shouldn't have been brought up, but the issue is the the NRA made a really big deal about the damage they believe video games cause, and then they deliberately contributed to it with their own.

It's like if your religion said that eating meat was wrong because killing animals for sustenance was a sin, and to raise money for your faith group, you decided to hold a barbeque, with burgers, sausages, steaks, chicken breasts, and a full roast pig on a spit. Yes, society might agree there's nothing wrong with barbeques. But you're a raging hypocrite and should be denounced as such.

Blaming violent video games is no different than blaming guns and putting crisis actors like Robbie Parker on TV to advocate gun control the day of the shootings. The NRA may be hypocrites, but the nogunz crowd are just as bad, if not worse.

How come the media aren't talking about Americans overuse of psychotropic drugs and their side effects? Or how they have turned these mass killings into a sort of competition, giving the shooters lots of coverage and fame?

10+ Year Old Account
    That is simply not true. It's egregiously untrue, so much so it seems it must be deliberate.

"There exists in this country a callous, corrupt and corrupting shadow industry that sells, and sows, violence against its own people. Through vicious, violent video games with names like Bulletstorm, Grand Theft Auto, Mortal Kombat and Splatterhouse."

They very clearly and specifically pointed fingers at the video game industry and stated they were responsible. Go read the transcript or watch the video.

For someone who's supposedly crying out against "spin", you're certainly trying awfully hard to spin this against the media, in exactly the kind of way the NRA fallaciously did in that press conference.
    See! The NRA game was not listed. Their game is just fine. I hear there is an add on that lets you use rope instead of a gun!

It's so sad Mortal Kombat still gets blamed. Some punk kid will now try one of the recent ones and will be so disappointed by how bad the game has become. Back in the day.......

Keep quoting it. I've watched the video.. actually it's here!

What he addresses is that the Media has NO PROBLEM promoting violence and making it so widely available to children at an alarming rate.

The only "blame" i'm actually hearing is roughly at about 5:30-7:00 minutes in the video where he addressing the wall to wall coverage and fame these mental people get from the media.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lockon Stratos View Post
    Blaming violent video games is no different than blaming guns
    Sure it is.

What killed those kids in Sandy Hook, bullets, or video game CDs chucked like ninja stars?

While it's true the more important issue is the person behind the gun, claiming that blaming guns is as irrelevant as blaming video games is ridiculous. Guns actually kill people. Video games don't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Blaming violent video games is no different than blaming guns and putting crisis actors like Robbie Parker on TV to advocate gun control the day of the shootings. The NRA may be hypocrites, but the nogunz crowd are just as bad, if not worse.
    I do not understand how people who blame guns are hypocrites for blaming guns?

How come the media aren't talking about Americans overuse of psychotropic drugs and their side effects? Or how they have turned these mass killings into a sort of competition, giving the shooters lots of coverage and fame?
    Psychotropic drugs have been blamed for nearly a century. They are class one drugs for a reason. Also, the competition aspect is talked about in the media. As none sense as that comment is, fox news still covered it pretty well.

10+ Year Old Account
    What he addresses is that the Media has NO PROBLEM promoting violence and making it so widely available to children at an alarming rate.
    And then, weeks later, released their own video game that similarly promotes violence, and was recommended to children as young as 4.

Hence the hypocrisy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Keep quoting it. I've watched the video.. actually it's here!

The only "blame" i'm actually hearing is roughly at about 5:30-7:00 minutes in the video where he addressing the wall to wall coverage and fame these mental people get from the media.
    Are you defending your stance that the NRA didn't blame the media, by saying it only lasted for 90 seconds?