Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

What would be the ideal population for Earth?

Since we're considered overpopulated and only growing, when would it be considered balanced and not over or under?

we're definitely not overpopulated overall, just in a few regions.

Quote Originally Posted by Fincayra View Post
    we're definitely not overpopulated overall, just in a few regions.
    you also have to think about limited resource

Well there is only 1 earth out there, maybe one day we will meet another, but for now 1 seems like an ok population of earths.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfootbigd View Post
    you also have to think about limited resource
    Resources can be found , we have a universe so huge that we have everything unlimited.
    We just need access it and we will in the future , that i strongly believe.
    My main language is not english , feel free to send me a PM if i made errors that bother you , i shall try to correct it next time!
    www.Joethejoe.weebly.com

5,000,000,000 sounds like a good number to me.

Deleted
    Less then we are now, atleast if we look how we manage those resources we have/can use right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Well there is only 1 earth out there, maybe one day we will meet another, but for now 1 seems like an ok population of earths.
    That's cleva

OT: In all honesty, 0 humans would make the world a better place, but I'm not one that finds the idea of annihilating the human race productive.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    This made my day. thanks xD

OT: I think the population is only an issue in certain areas of the world. As a whole, the earth can probably handle more than it already does. We as a species just need to discover new resources through tech or what have you,and use the resources we currently have more efficiently. If you divided the entire land area of the earth up amongst the population, everyone would have a 5-6 acre parcel of land to live on (a lot of it isn't really habitable but that's not the point). When I think over population I think specific area, where population density is way too high (Areas in Asia in particular). The west throws out much of it's food, and if it were used in other areas of the world instead of being wasted we'd probably be fine.

An ideal number though for everyone on earth to be comfortable with resources and space? Probably 3-4 billion max, but that's just a guestimation.

Deleted
    a healthy 5,000,000,000

Quote Originally Posted by Caninese View Post
    That's cleva

OT: In all honesty, 0 humans would make the world a better place, but I'm not one that finds the idea of annihilating the human race productive.
    oh Master Asia, why you don't realize that Humans are part of nature.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Ideally we dont see a big rise inn current population. Trough the world is by far crowded, just some places.

Inn Denmark we have the so called "outskirts Denmark"-places where nobody really wanna live inn, and few jobs exsist. Mostly thats western parts off Jylland.

Basicly, the OP should rather ask; How many should become middelclass? That is the problem, aslong as not to many people upgrade there standard of living we're fine.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

our limitations are self made when it comes to resources. from tower farms, to ocean cities we have plenty of room to grow beyond what we have now. the problem isnt the people. the problem is our way of economics and how we value things. we can make solar collectors for unlimited power from the sun to be beamed to power hydroponic towers. we wont.. it costs to much last estimated cost was 1 trillion dollars to get the tech base up and running... but we dont have the money.. oh wait.. we just threw away 1.3 trillion on stimulus.. doh...

Georgia Stones say 500,000,000. Sounds right to me.

oh Master Asia, why you don't realize that Humans are part of nature.
    Well, it's rather obvious that humans are part of nature, we're all animals, aren't we. I just find that our species tends to destroy the "nature" that we are a part of. If the majority of our species was actually concerned with the welfare of the earth they inhabit, then my view would change.

10+ Year Old Account
    If everyone on the planet was in a city as dense as Paris, that city would be as large as Texas, leaving all the rest of the planet uninhabited by mankind. Therefore, we have the landmass.

Thus the answer to your question is a number that can be sustained by the amount of food we can create and distribute as well as other vital resources (energy, wealth, etc) required to live in a civilization.

That number can easily be greater than 7 billion if we work to improve upon what we already have and set aside petty hatreds.

But we're too stupid of a people to do that.
    Putin khuliyo

Deleted
    Two. Scarlett Johansson and myself.

edit: dang, just noticed someone already made this joke :$

The number is so far above what we have now, people are limited by labor and knowledge and politics not the resources of the planet. Many will argue unemployment is super high blah blah blah that doesn't matter though, theres always work that could be done extracting resources and energy from the earth many people just don't want to live that lifestyle, or it's not profitable business to do so and the resources are left untapped.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Olafski View Post
    Two. Scarlett Johansson and myself.

edit: dang, just noticed someone already made this joke :$
    Does it matter what she looks like if there's no-one around to gloat to?

Deeeeeeep!

If only we could make places like the Sahara Desert hospitable, and perhaps even the Oceans themselves.

(I actually don't know what the number is for the ideal population, just posting for the lulz).
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance