Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Though I realised what you were talking about, I did lol at jew-sticker. You do know Scholomance has an N though right?

I pronounce Xuen kinda like shoo-en, cause a friend named Xin is "Shin", I don't know if that's mandarin or cantonese though cause I'm pig ignorant. Everyone seems to pronounce the X's as Z's, they might be right. Either way he would get mad if I start calling him Zin.
    Last edited by mmocf55d4d4995; 2013-01-15 at 10:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Statix View Post
    Ever since I first noticed I could get the title Justicar in World of Warcraft, I pronounced it as 'Justisar.'
    Now, five years later, I'm playing Mass Effect 2 and apparently Justicar is pronounced 'Justikar.'
    Total mindf*ck.
    This is what I do whenever this situation arises.

*Mis-pronounces word*
    Random guy: *Hey that's not how you say it*

Response:
    *Oh yea I know! It's because I'm from <insert weird location here>...we all pronounce it that way here*
    *Quietly takes note and makes sure to correct myself from that point on*
    Last edited by Beebeey; 2013-01-15 at 11:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iamthedevil View Post
    So did it, and then i found out that Qilin, what it's based off, is pronounced Ki-rin.

I haven't heard it spoken in game so i'm really not sure how the WoW version is pronounced.
    Lorewalker Cho pronounces it [Kwai-len] (as in eye). I always pronounce it [kwill-en].
    Last edited by Netherspark; 2013-01-16 at 01:17 AM.

Deleted
    And every NPC pronounces Illidan as Illadin/Illerdin.

Dunno, you just reminded me of that for some reason.

How about Emperor ShaoHao

I pronounce it So-Hoe

Google Translate make xuen-- a 'zoon' sound. I prefer calling him 'zuh-when' even though i probably is totally off

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Amnasty View Post
    How about Emperor ShaoHao

I pronounce it So-Hoe
    I'd probly rhyme both syllables with "how" or "cow".

Quote Originally Posted by MickM View Post
    I thought it was [Qwi-len]
    def pronounced quill-in.

PALADIN. is it puh-la-din OR pal-eh-dun?

pal-eh-dun

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Auberdeen View Post
    def pronounced quill-in.

pal-eh-dun
    Pah-Lah-Deen

10+ Year Old Account
    Jus - Tick - Are

10+ Year Old Account
    Just-tick-are.

Quote Originally Posted by Amnasty
    New-zhao (nuizo)
    I pronounce Niuzao as "knee-you-zao"

Quote Originally Posted by Auberdeen

pal-eh-dun
    Neither?

Pal-a-din
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Just-tick-are.

I pronounce Niuzao as "knee-you-zao"

Neither?

Pal-a-din
    Kun-Lai Runt?

Mondegreen pronunciations and song lyrics... aren't they great? Kind of like when I thought the lyrics were "There's a bathroom on the right" for Creedence Clearwater Revival's "There's a bad moon on the rise."

Um... also, before I heard her name spoken aloud... Sylvanas. Well, you can probably figure that one out yourself, you gutter minded pervs!

Quote Originally Posted by Augh View Post
    I pronounce Xuen kinda like shoo-en, cause a friend named Xin is "Shin", I don't know if that's mandarin or cantonese though cause I'm pig ignorant.
    If we consider Pandarian names to be derived from real-world Mandarin and its pinyin romanisation, that's correct. I pronounce shu-en, with the same "u" as "über" (I don't know whether there is any equivalent in English).
    You're also correct on ShaoHao, with the added note that the "h" resembles a Spanish jota.

Interactive cheat sheet in case someone's interested : http://www.quickmandarin.com/chinesepinyintable/

OP, I'm not sure what made you think c+a is pronounced "sa"

10+ Year Old Account
    Jus-tick-are

How about:
    man-ah or mon-ah?
    sko-la-mance or show-la-mance? (heard it both ways)
    pan-dare-ee-ah or pan-daar-ee-ah?

When my friend and I started playing WoW in vanilla it was the first time that we used a VOIP service. All these players were saying 'mobs' like it is said as the slang for mafia. He and I were both MUD players and always said it short for "mobile" and it rhymed with 'globe.' We both say it the other way now, seems to roll off the tongue a bit better.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thneed View Post
    Jus-tick-are

How about:
    man-ah or mon-ah?

When my friend and I started playing WoW in vanilla it was the first time that we used a VOIP service. All these players were saying 'mobs' like it is said as the slang for mafia. He and I were both MUD players and always said it short for "mobile" and it rhymed with 'globe.' We both say it the other way now, seems to roll off the tongue a bit better.
    It's Mah-nah, Scolo-munns, Pun-dah-ree-ah.
    Mobs refer to a group of creatures.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thneed View Post
    Jus-tick-are

How about:
    man-ah or mon-ah?

"sko-low-mance"
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

For the longest time I pronounced it "Just-eh-Car"

But literally yesterday I was playing Skyrim, and came accross a Thalmor Justicar - when talking to her, she said what her title was. I said "Oh snaps! THAT'S how you pronounce it! Makes a bit more sense I guess..."

How she pronounced it was "Just-is-sir"... like almost like "Justice-er" or "Justice-Sir"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    For the longest time I pronounced it "Just-eh-Car"

But literally yesterday I was playing Skyrim, and came accross a Thalmor Justicar - when talking to her, she said what her title was. I said "Oh snaps! THAT'S how you pronounce it! Makes a bit more sense I guess..."

How she pronounced it was "Just-is-sir"... like almost like "Justice-er" or "Justice-Sir"
    That's definitely not how it's supposed to be pronounced.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
    It's Mah-nah, Scolo-munns, Pun-dah-ree-ah.
    Mobs refer to a group of creatures.
    Mobs is plural, mob is singular. They are usually NPCs that you can kill often following a specific path. I'm quite familiar with the term. My friend and I USED to say mob as it would rhyme with 'globe.' Mob(s) was short for mobile back in the late 80s MUD gaming. But when we started playing WoW our new guild mates said 'mob' as it would rhyme with 'slob.' That was my point, not a definition of what a mob(s) is.

Yeah, I should have written sko-low-mance, show-low-mance, my bad. Pun- vs. Pan-, hmmm, that may have to be chalked up to English dialect differences. I mean especially if you are time traveler from the U.S.S.R and all you might not know my mid-western USA accent.