Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    The wands.

Wands do pitiful damage compared to other weapons. Most of the damage is based around Fusilade and/or elemental damage % increases. The first is wand specific and requires keeping the buff going- varying degrees of difficulty on buff maintenance.

You would likely do more damage as an Elemental archer, hard spellcaster or attack speed based melee. Though only the spellcaster would have potentially equal survivability.

Which is the rub of POE; damage is easy. Surviving is another story.
    What weapon do witches use then ...

---------- Post added 2013-01-13 at 08:10 PM ----------

Whatever It sure looks like any archetype you can come up with PoE has means to make that char, so to each his own.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Quote Originally Posted by Repefe View Post
    What weapon do witches use then ...
    Any.

Early game bows are best for a Witch. Spells scale mostly off of gem level and if you look at the tree [highlight all spell damage nodes] spell damage in the raw is pretty scarce. So a Witch is typically better off using a weapon early to mid game.

As I said, wands take a long time to get going; most of the damage is linked to Fusilade and/or generic elemental damage increasing stats.

Shadow actually uses wands to greater effect than a Witch early to mid game. Due to early tree boosts to elemental damage, dexterity, accuracy, crit, attack speed and projectiles.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Repefe View Post

Maybe I am wrong .. but what are the weak points of the wand templar.
    More like none. There is very little resource management, and also very little player involvement since basically the rest of your skills are auras.

Wands do pitiful damage compared to other weapons.
    It's not a weakness if it comes a given fact. Traditionally heavy + shield does lower damage compared to other classes in most games there is no debate about that, difference is that you can do this at range in POE.

But apparently precedence negates the need to a debate whether something is/or should be viable or not.
    None of that has any bearing on historical precedence of using a ranged weapon and shield with in game systems.
    I described all those minor rules so you could understand that there was a contex, that shield +range+heavy didn't exist in a vacuum.

Quote Originally Posted by Diocassius View Post
    It's not a weakness if it comes a given fact. Traditionally heavy + shield does lower damage compared to other classes in most games there is no debate about that, difference is that you can do this at range in POE.
    You don't gain more damage with a wand as main attack over other weapons. It is less damage. That is the tradeoff.

It's mostly the defense the shield offers. The damage on it's own is not on par. At least in Kripp's build. There are dual and elemental wanders that deliver more damage but are less durable.

Spell + shield is also viable but a wand isn't always the optimal weapon these cases as scepters and daggers can also offer spell power.

One of the early wand/shield builds to gain popularity. His damage is "good enough" for that point in the game.

I mean, you are trading off greater damage with a 1h/shield. No doubt. Path of Exile emphasizes survival to such an extent that the damage tradeoff is sorta whatever.

But apparently precedence negates the need to a debate whether something is/or should be viable or not.
    That was not what was in debate. The poster even admitted such a build "made sense for HC" but felt it was "trying to hard".

My contention was what made it "trying to hard" if survival & range are of [obvious] advantage within Path of Exile and not totally unseen within the genre itself & without.

It doesn't matter too much how a Drow uses a hand crossbow and buckler, no.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-01-13 at 08:51 PM.

Man cant wait for open beta... Jan 23 needs to come sooner!!!!

Genuinely excited to play this game. I bought a supporters pack to help them out and played a bit in the closed beta, but I kept my involvement to a light dabble as I knew constant resets were occuring... So as this is the final reset I will be participating to my fullest extent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zillionhz View Post
    By fiber be purged

10+ Year Old Account
    Heh. About 2 days ago I got a Dream Fragments on a level 15-ish Ranger in The Coves. Tonight I got another Dream Fragments in a 62 map on my Witch.

What a bittersweet end to CBT for me.
    Glad I stopped playing even found 2 unique a sword and boots during my short time, will pick it up again in OBT sucks losing stuff you put so much time into.
    Claymore is Epic again, eat it priscilla fanboys.

Quote Originally Posted by Perath View Post
    And you need to spend 5 points (or around that) to get back the energy shield multiplier. The actual CI talent no longer has anything but the chaos "redirection" and the health reduction. Also the multiplier is now 30% instead of 50%.

We don't know if this is final yet, though. It is an alpha after all.
    Continuing this, it seems they buffed it slightly in the latest alpha patch. It seems it is now only 3 extra points and the multiplier was buffed to 40% instead of 30%.

(Just shown on Kripp's stream)

SH2LY-EMAU5-SDQ3V-DK3HW
    SHRVJ-FC43F-ZEF7S-TUCCM

2 beta keys

Quote Originally Posted by Docta View Post
    SH2LY-EMAU5-SDQ3V-DK3HW
    SHRVJ-FC43F-ZEF7S-TUCCM

2 beta keys

thanks sold them for d3 gold

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wigglesworth View Post
    thanks sold them for d3 gold
    Booo >.> now I have to wait another like 13 days for open beta

well damn, that's shitty... guess i should have said to pm me for a code or something

He's lying Docta. Don't worry about it, I got one of the codes and putting it into good use

Thanks

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Docta View Post
    SH2LY-EMAU5-SDQ3V-DK3HW
    SHRVJ-FC43F-ZEF7S-TUCCM

2 beta keys

thank you!

The wands.

Wands do pitiful damage compared to other weapons. Most of the damage is based around Fusilade and/or elemental damage % increases. The first is wand specific and requires keeping the buff going- varying degrees of difficulty on buff maintenance.

You would likely do more damage as an Elemental archer, hard spellcaster or attack speed based melee. Though only the spellcaster would have potentially equal survivability.

Which is the rub of POE; damage is easy. Surviving is another story.
    Well it seems that now there may be a few more weak points with nerfs to chain and totems

The dual totem thing was honestly broken. Maybe the most broken thing in POE and the longest running. Specifically when used with spark. Yet I don't think many people playing the game before endgame realized just how broken dual spark totem were. Because frankly, the build sucks for a long time.

The totems could potentially do everything- Damage, CC and debuff. Spark totem + chance to flee was almost guaranteed invincibly. With fork the damage was unreal in tight spaces. With G/LMP, the totems could clear an open map in a few minutes time clearing mobs far outside of visible distance.

Just, broken.

I think the dual totem change is good since it does leave other totem builds relatively intact. And might have made them stronger in some respects. Such as KB, summoner or fear totem users.

I offered the gift of exile and you used it to reinvent yourself. I couldn't wish for a more potent instrument. Today I ascend to godhood and your death shall pave the way.

Guess that's the end boss of Act III ?

jesus

this game

TOO MUCH lol

it seems like it would take countless hours to learn even one class. and i'm reading that respec in the game is too expensive to even consider?

where would one start to learn all the curves of the game

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tangosmango View Post
    jesus

this game

TOO MUCH lol

it seems like it would take countless hours to learn even one class. and i'm reading that respec in the game is too expensive to even consider?

where would one start to learn all the curves of the game
    By playing it. Sure, it does seem overwhelming, but once you get into it, the basics start becoming clearer, and what you are trying to achieve also follows suit.
    Currently Procrastinating