Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    Deleted

Question Horsemeat in Tesco "beef" burgers

So I came across on some news about massive amounts of horse (as high as 29%) being used in some Tescos beef burgers, and according to that it has caused an outrage in the UK. I thought this was just some wild exaggeration but then I talked to a few islander friends of mine and they were really worked up about it, spouting crap about inedibility and health hazards.

Now granted that's some false advertisement selling them as beef, but I don't get the uproar. What's so weird about eating horse?

Metro news article about it

Well, people buy beef burgers to eat beef, really. I don't expect to find a bobcat in my sock drawer, nor do I expect horse in my beef burger.

Deleted
    i got nothing against eating horse, but would be quite worried if they are putting different meats into my food than they say. a small % is ok, but some as high as 29% is just not right, something has gone majorly wrong at the farm/factory.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    i got nothing against eating horse, but would be quite worried if they are putting different meats into my food than they say. a small % is ok, but some as high as 29% is just not right, something has gone majorly wrong at the farm/factory.
    Exactly. Having trust is a big deal with issues such as selling and marketing food. Everybody wants to know what they are putting in their mouth after all.

Deleted
    It's probably not a mistake in farm/factory, just the way the product is made and nobody cared to check it at Tescos. Though I can't be 100% sure on this because we don't have a Tesco here. Adding to that, I would buy horseburgers rather than beef.
    @ Shadowbane yup I'd be miffed about the false advertisement part too, but I don't understand all the health concerns etc.

Edit; had a look on their site, at least that doesn't list horse in the ingredients, not sure about the actual packaging.
    Last edited by mmoc68224f08ff; 2013-01-16 at 05:13 PM.

This. Production standards clearly aren't being adhered to if this can happen. So if quality standards aren't being met, how about food safety standards? The whole production process needs to be put under review.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
    It's probably not a mistake in farm/factory, just the way the product is made and nobody cared to check it at Tescos. Though I can't be 100% sure on this because we don't have a Tesco here. Adding to that, I would buy horseburgers rather than beef.
    @ Shadowbane yup I'd be miffed about the false advertisement part too, but I don't understand all the health concerns etc.
    Meat production is serious effin business when it comes to food safety. The horsemeat is a pretty big red flag, especially if it's not supposed to be here.

I don't have anything against eating horse but I do have issues with someone selling me something and pretending that it's something else.

Deleted

well i guess we will soon find out if it was a long term issue and no one checked. i dont really mind if they did sell horse burgers, i would rather they were labled as horse though. ive eaten far weirer burgers before, Kangaroo burger was my favorite so far. and i dont know about the health concerns, i cant see why horse meat would be bad for us.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Meat production is serious effin business when it comes to food safety. The horsemeat is a pretty big red flag, especially if it's not supposed to be here.
    Sorry but I don't see a connection between health hazard and horsemeat. The actual quality of the product healthwise is kept in check in the origin country, we're not talking imported meat from a dodgy factory from a third world country after all.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    It might just be because I associate myself with like minded people. But almost all the folks I know are quite enthusiastic about their food, so if you were to get something in a beef burger thats not even beef, you should be rightly pissed off.

Then again, who the hell buys tesco brand beef burgers, its like the shittiest shit you can get.

i was wondering which brand it was, was it tesco value ones? if it was it doesnt surprise me they have all sorts in it.

It's also rather discrediting to their company as well, giving the impression that if this is happening with this product, what about other products, are they being checked properly? I've no issue with having horse meat, but the real issue is the process that lets this happen without notice. My view of it at least :P

Also what about people who are allergic to certain food products, can't make them feel too good eating their food knowing it's not checked properly ^^

Glad here in USA we don't allow that kind of stuff in our meat, even mcdonalds is 100% beef seasoned with salt and pepper.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Deleted
    i was wondering which brand it was, was it tesco value ones? if it was it doesnt surprise me they have all sorts in it.
    Yup Tesco Value, http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Produ.../?id=264291549

10+ Year Old Account
    I wonder if those horses were in witness protection and accidentally got meat-ified. Totally just made that word up, but I like it.

Looks like Tesco have been... horsing around with our beefburgers.

Deleted
    not that surprising, tesco value is not exactly a hallmark of quality.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dandruid View Post
    Also what about people who are allergic to certain food products, can't make them feel too good eating their food knowing it's not checked properly ^^
    Is anyone really allergic to horsemeat but not beef? I doubt it at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Glad here in USA we don't allow that kind of stuff in our meat, even mcdonalds is 100% beef seasoned with salt and pepper.
    It looks more like the meat had this unknowingly, but being told it was beef, could have been any county/company that's not checking it out properly.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dandruid View Post
    It looks more like the meat had this unknowingly, but being told it was beef, could have been any county/company that's not checking it out properly.

wonder how long its been going on though, if its just affecting a recent batch or going on a long time and no one has checked.

Is anyone really allergic to horse meat but not beef? I doubt it at least.
    I've no idea if they can be, but as I was trying to refer to was that this was happening but being sold as something else, which could be questionable for their other products because of it.