Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
    Is anyone really allergic to horsemeat but not beef? I doubt it at least.
    I don't think that's what he was trying to say. If they are adding ingredients to their food that are not listed (horse in their beef)...then what other ingredients are making it into the food that are not listed? That's the real issue.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Glad here in USA we don't allow that kind of stuff in our meat, even mcdonalds is 100% beef seasoned with salt and pepper.
    100% beef = cows eyes/brain etc
    you don't know what goes into it

And FYI isn't all your cattle pumped full of growth hormones and slaughtered inhumanely?

~OT

I am not concerned about horse meat at all, the only worrying thing is how this happened without anyone noticing until the food standards did a routine check.
    Makes you wonder what else goes into their other products without anyone finding out.

Bloodsail Admiral Killmaim Deathbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Doesn't particually bother me, i've eaten dog, cat, even fermented chicken embryo.

If it was human meat in the burgers, then i'd have a problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Butchers is always best, and tastier.
    Stormrage 4 lyfe

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Killmaim Deathbringer View Post
    Doesn't particually bother me, i've eaten dog, cat, even fermented chicken embryo.

If it was human meat in the burgers, then i'd have a problem.
    Dog and human is probably the only meat i couldnt bring myself to eat, i love dogs too much and human goes without saying really. i would eat cat, i hate cats would love to eat one. though i cant imagine a cat having that much meat and it being a bit tough.

Quote Originally Posted by AnarchyEU View Post
    100% beef = cows eyes/brain etc
    you don't know what goes into it

And FYI isn't all your cattle pumped full of growth hormones and slaughtered inhumanely?

~OT

I am not concerned about horse meat at all, the only worrying thing is how this happened without anyone noticing until the food standards did a routine check.
    Makes you wonder what else goes into their other products without anyone finding out.

Look up the definition of beef.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Glad here in USA we don't allow that kind of stuff in our meat, even mcdonalds is 100% beef seasoned with salt and pepper.
    I read somewhere that the FDA allows a certain percentage of rodent hair and bugs per a certain amount of food. Like anything under 60 insect parts per 100g of chocolate is allowed. And apple butter is allowed to be 12% moldy.

Also "The FDA allows up to 19 maggots and 74 mites per 100 grams of mushrooms that are canned."

Deleted
    This has also been found in Asda, Aldi, and Iceland:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddr...t-scandal.html

Oh, and Lidl. My Lidl Pony!

It's also appeared in Aldi burgers, and might likely also be in Asda ones as well. You should update the title to reflect this and not make it seem like a witch hunt against Tesco.

It is likely due to a processing plant in Europe, where the meat was sourced from.
    RETH

Horsemeat is very good.
    It is a major meat in only a few countries, notably in Central Asia, but it forms a significant part of the culinary traditions of many others, from Europe to South America to Asia. The top eight countries consume about 4.7 million horses a year. For the majority of mankind's early existence, wild horses were hunted as a source of protein. It is slightly sweet, tender, low in fat and high in protein.

Horse meat from the Netherland. Looks good:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...in_package.JPG
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

10+ Year Old Account
    And my mother wonders why i turn my nose up at the meat from lidl/ aldi :S

Quote Originally Posted by Kryos View Post
    Horsemeat is very good.
    It is a major meat in only a few countries, notably in Central Asia, but it forms a significant part of the culinary traditions of many others, from Europe to South America to Asia. The top eight countries consume about 4.7 million horses a year. For the majority of mankind's early existence, wild horses were hunted as a source of protein. It is slightly sweet, tender, low in fat and high in protein.

Nobody is denying that horse meat can be good, but good is not the same as beef.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    And my mother wonders why i turn my nose up at the meat from lidl/ aldi :S

i hate going to lidl, last time i went there (a long time ago) half the stuff i labaled in German or something, no idea what im buying.

Quote Originally Posted by Kryos View Post
    Horsemeat is very good.

Horse Meat, is way tastier than beef and alot softer, its a very expensive meat in my home country, Portugal.

but for some stupid reason in the UK, no butcher sells it, maybe they just like to use horse for racing or whatever they do with them here in England.

Kidney of a horse, liver of a cat - mixing up the patties with this and that.

---------- Post added 2013-01-16 at 06:33 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    Nobody is denying that horse meat can be good, but good is not the same as beef.
    Well, well, well - it seems like we've got some neeeeighsayers in the audience...

Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    I guess it's not to cheat the customers because horse meat is much more expensive than beef. Maybe the grind horse meat and cow meat in the same grinder. If anything it's more a hygiene problem, less a deception problem.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post
    Horse Meat, is way tastier than beef and alot softer, its a very expensive meat in my home country, Portugal.

but for some stupid reason in the UK, no butcher sells it, maybe they just like to use horse for racing or whatever they do with them here in England.

where i use to live there was this butcher that sold all weird meats you couldn't usually buy in shops. had things like aligator, kangaroo, snake ect. i think he sometimes had horse in. never tried it myself though.

---------- Post added 2013-01-16 at 05:35 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Its a cultural reason, horses were never really used for food, they were used as a workforce / entertainment, people prefer to stick to what they know, but if you really want horse meat just find a market place, they sell ostrich / kangaroo / crocodile all sorts of stuff, just have to know where to look.

Ostrich and Kangaroo make good burgers, more places should sell it

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
    So I came across on some news about massive amounts of horse (as high as 29%) being used in some Tescos beef burgers, and according to that it has caused an outrage in the UK. I thought this was just some wild exaggeration but then I talked to a few islander friends of mine and they were really worked up about it, spouting crap about inedibility and health hazards.

Now granted that's some false advertisement selling them as beef, but I don't get the uproar. What's so weird about eating horse?

Metro news article about it
    It being horsemeat isn't the problem. It's that they are lying about the contests of their food that is really terrible. What other things might they put in without declaring it?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Its a cultural reason, horses were never really used for food, they were used as a workforce / entertainment, people prefer to stick to what they know, but if you really want horse meat just find a market place, they sell ostrich / kangaroo / crocodile all sorts of stuff, just have to know where to look.
    There's a sandwich shop round the corner from me that sells kangaroo, wild boar and ostrich sandwiches. Wild boar is one of the best meats I've ever had that isn't commonly sold

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ardal View Post
    There's a sandwich shop round the corner from me that sells kangaroo, wild boar and ostrich sandwiches. Wild boar is one of the best meats I've ever had that isn't commonly sold
    heh, my friend said the same thing about wild boar meat. not sure what its not sold as much, probably lower supply and less demand than other meats.