Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

What Anti-Virus Software do you Use/Recommend?

Ok as the title says, keep it simple. Been using Microsoft Security Essentials now for some time, had to admit it has let in a few things on the miss PC (she is just awful and clicks any links >.<) also i noticed today someone already posted about the AV-Test's findings. (Link to them for refreshment: http://www.av-test.org/en/tests/home...7/novdec-2012/)

All this makes me thing I should really invest in some good anti virus software. I am after something that's effective and wont slow down the computer to a crawl. Any ideas and what are you using and why?

Deleted
    nod32(from eset) light weight but very thorough yet basic settings work very well already.

I am using Symantec Endpoint Protection. Why? Because the techie guy that fixed my computer three years ago said it was good.

So far, it has not disappointed

Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    nod32(from eset) light weight but very thorough yet basic settings work very well already.
    Yeah used Nod32 back in the day when windows 7 just came out and not much else worked Was wondering if it was still any good i remember Avast and Kaspersky or whatever it was as-well. But that's years ago not used anything since so not sure if still all good or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Mortai2 View Post
    I am using Symantec Endpoint Protection. Why? Because the techie guy that fixed my computer three years ago said it was good.

So far, it has not disappointed

Would not trust a tech guy on commotion. I hear nothing but horror story's from Symantec customers normally about Norton. lol.

Oh and don't mind paying for something guys, i am not some cheap skate. (well as long as its not stupid in cost ofc)
    Last edited by Stacie; 2013-01-17 at 04:35 PM.

I use panda global protection 2012 and have had no problems with it. Its not free though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Chaos View Post
    Yeah used Nod32 back in the day when windows 7 just came out and not much else worked Was wondering if it was still any good i remember Avast and Kaspersky or whatever it was as-well. But that's years ago not used anything since so not sure if still all good or not.
    they are still top notch , small price for the amount of security it provides (even excluding advanced options)

Deleted
    ESET Nod32

Deleted
    I used to use Zone alarm but now i use Avast! its great.

Yay this thread again!
    I use a combo of Commen Sense, Avast! (free), and Malwarebytes.

If I plan on visiting sites that I belive may not be safe, then I boot up my Ubuntu VM (which also has Avast installed to it.)

I know it isn't all bullet proof (there's never a such thing), but it works out really well. Haven't had any problems either.

Quote Originally Posted by Libram View Post
    Yay this thread again!
    I use a combo of Commen Sense, Avast! (free), and Malwarebytes.

If I plan on visiting sites that I belive may not be safe, then I boot up my Ubuntu VM (which also has Avast installed to it.)

I know it isn't all bullet proof (there's never a such thing), but it works out really well. Haven't had any problems either.
    Na my PC stays fine, never have issues and yeah i run a VM if i do have to do something a little dodgy or use one of the spare laptops. Its the miss i worry about, she always on them shitty facebook games, and looking at random wow gold sites and crap fedup with it but she just wont stop lol. She moans when she is hacked and wonders why... All my fault ofc.

AVG combined with Spybot Search & Destroy, Hijackthis and Windows' built in nonsense.

I hear nothing but horror story's from Symantec customers normally about Norton. lol.
    This is completely opinon on my part, but I found Norton support to be very good.
    When my mother used to have Norton on her computer, the computer would have ocasional problems (was running Vista back when it was really bad.)
    They would connect to her computer through a remote manager and fix corrupt or damaged files that weren't even related to Norton.
    One day somethng had gone wrong with Norton itself and they fixed it then gave her 100 extra days for the trouble it had caused.
    I've also had a friend that used Norton and he called in because his computer was crashing. They guided him through normal troubleshoot steps and got it fixed.

I'm sure there have been legit horror stories, but usually many of those sorts of stories originate from very computer illiterate people that just make things worse without even being aware of it.

---------- Post added 2013-01-17 at 05:17 PM ----------

Na my PC stays fine, never have issues and yeah i run a VM if i do have to do something a little dodgy or use one of the spare laptops. Its the miss i worry about, she always on them shitty facebook games, and looking at random wow gold sites and crap fedup with it but she just wont stop lol. She moans when she is hacked and wonders why... All my fault ofc.
    Usually I wouldn't reccomend this, but you could perhaps try and block some of those site URLs? I don't know how well she is with computers, so it may simply be a wasted attempt.
    Also uninstall IE and install Firfox/Chrome with the Addblock extension so she won't see the gold selling adds on the side of shady websites. (Don't forget to Whitelist sites like MMOC, WoWHead, or Thoughtbot if she uses them frequently. They make their money for displaying adds.)
    Last edited by Libram; 2013-01-17 at 05:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Libram View Post
    This is completely opinon on my part, but I found Norton support to be very good.
    When my mother used to have Norton on her computer, the computer would have ocasional problems (was running Vista back when it was really bad.)
    They would connect to her computer through a remote manager and fix corrupt or damaged files that weren't even related to Norton.
    One day somethng had gone wrong with Norton itself and they fixed it then gave her 100 extra days for the trouble it had caused.
    I've also had a friend that used Norton and he called in because his computer was crashing. They guided him through normal troubleshoot steps and got it fixed.

I'm sure there have been legit horror stories, but usually many of those sorts of stories originate from very computer illiterate people that just make things worse without even being aware of it.

---------- Post added 2013-01-17 at 05:17 PM ----------

Usually I wouldn't reccomend this, but you could perhaps try and block some of those site URLs? I don't know how well she is with computers, so it may simply be a wasted attempt.
    Also uninstall IE and install Firfox/Chrome with the Addblock extension so she won't see the gold selling adds on the side of shady websites. (Don't forget to Whitelist sites like MMOC, WoWHead, or Thoughtbot if she uses them frequently. They make their money for displaying adds.)
    She would not figure it out but i keep blocking them, and she finds more >.< already got her running chrome with addblock. See this is why you don't get a girlfriend and let her become a gamer...

Deleted
    Bitdefender, Avast, Nod32 <-- one of those plus Malwarebytes. I prefer Bitdefender and Malwarebytes, but Nod32 is also great (or used to be, havent used in a while)

Just using Bitdefender and malwarebytes as above person said. Will go with Nod32 if these don't work out, might as-well give them a good go as they are free

thanks all.

None. I don't see the point of them

Malware and AVG, had both for years and I'm happy with them.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    None. I don't see the point of them
    You never will until you get hit by a really nasty virus or keylogger and find your bank account empty one day or that work you spent all year doing gone / corrupt. :P i once took that attitude and learnt the hard way.

10+ Year Old Account
    You never will until you get hit by a really nasty virus or keylogger and find your bank account empty one day or that work you spent all year doing gone / corrupt. :P i once took that attitude and learnt the hard way.
    All I can say is that you must have done something silly to get that virus/keylogger.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    ESET Nod32, ive tried a few others...its the only 1 that doesn't seam to let anything through, and im on a lot of risky sites downloading things...