Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Looking for advice on a decent work out / exercise routine

Hey,
    Ive been working in IT for the past 12 years and my hobby is video games, so ive spent most of my life in front of the PC.
    Ive always been skinny but have recently gotten a bit of a belly, friends call me "skinny fat". I am 6'2 and currently 195 pounds.

I do not want plan to go to the gym, Im looking to work out / exercise routine i can do from home.
    Im having a hard time finding something, I tired the P90x but they want to sell you tons of stuff and i have no room in my house for a pull up bar etc.

Looking for suggestions on what has worked for you?

Also what are some good ways to make eating healthly a regular thing? Other than self control.
    I find it hard to stay on track... damn red bulls put me back in all the time.
    Last edited by Daax; 2013-01-17 at 07:27 PM.

Deleted
    Stronglifts 5x5

All you need is a barbell and weights.

Quote Originally Posted by Harzaka View Post
    Stronglifts 5x5

Throw some cardio in there as well, you should be fine.

In regards to the healthy eating part - I find its more of a mind over matter things, once you get into the habit of it you won't look back. Good, self cooked, healthy food with fresh ingredients is the greatest meal.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsfunctional View Post
    Throw some cardio in there as well, you should be fine.

In regards to the healthy eating part - I find its more of a mind over matter things, once you get into the habit of it you won't look back. Good, self cooked, healthy food with fresh ingredients is the greatest meal.
    Cardio isnt needed really

Stronglifts 5x5

Does that work? the website seem explicite that it does indeed work but so does every other website about such thing.
    My main language is not english , feel free to send me a PM if i made errors that bother you , i shall try to correct it next time!
    www.Joethejoe.weebly.com

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Forfax View Post
    Does that work? the website seem explicite that it does indeed work but so does every other website about such thing.
    It wont build lots of mass if thats what you're looking for.
    Its built to give you lots of strength, aslong as you follow the program properly you'll get results.
    Imo if you are serious about body building you should start with a strength building program and then move onto a "isolation" program.

It wont build lots of mass if thats what you're looking for.
    Its built to give you lots of strength, aslong as you follow the program properly you'll get results.
    Imo if you are serious about body building you should start with a strength building program and then move onto a "isolation" program.
    this is a bodybuilder program? i'm just mainly looking to get some strengh and a better shape , not become the next arnold lol ;P.
    I'm reading that it a good program to lay fondation on? is that true? I never did any big lifting , i'm looking to begin.
    Last edited by Forfax; 2013-01-15 at 09:13 PM.
    My main language is not english , feel free to send me a PM if i made errors that bother you , i shall try to correct it next time!
    www.Joethejoe.weebly.com

www dot bodyrock dot tv is the way to go.

Deleted
    this is a bodybuilder program? i'm just mainly looking to get some strengh and a better shape , not become the next arnold lol ;P.
    I'm reading that it a good program to lay fondation on? is that true? I never did any big lifting , i'm looking to begin.
    No this isnt a body builder program, this program will build mainly strength.
    And i hope you realise that building muscle takes a very long time.
    You wouldnt look like arnold even if you tried

Quote Originally Posted by astinus01 View Post
    www dot bodyrock dot tv is the way to go.
    One post... will not click that.

Deleted
    You could try "Insanity" I guess. I haven't tried it myself, but it's similar to P90x. No extra equipment needed.

As for diet, the easiest diet that actually works is a high protein diet mixed with large intake of water throughout the day. The logic behind is pretty simple, water discourages drinking other stuff and protein heavy foods make you feel full for longer and as such you consume less food and less calories per day.

No this isnt a body builder program, this program will build mainly strength.
    And i hope you realise that building muscle takes a very long time.
    You wouldnt look like arnold even if you tried

One post... will not click that.
    I'm 6.0' about 170 , i'm looking to get a lower % fat and get ride of my skinnyness.
    I want to get abs and to build muscle. is that a good program for such thing?

forgive my ignorance on the subject.
    www.Joethejoe.weebly.com

Deleted
    I'm 6.0' about 170 , i'm looking to get a lower % fat and get ride of my skinnyness.
    I want to get abs and to build muscle. is that a good program for such thing?

forgive my ignorance on the subject.
    Id say so yes, its no problem. We are all beginners at one point.
    I think you should lose the weight, and then build muscle / strength.

Remember. Abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym. And, Abs on a skinny guy is like tits on a fat chick.

Stronglifts 5x5
    Are you talking about this http://stronglifts.com/free-stronglifts-5x5-report/ ?

Ill check that out tonight.

I know the biggest part of eating right is getting ito the routine.
    I would like to use my blender more, looking for some good recipes to make.

Thanks for the tips.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Epictankz View Post
    Are you talking about this http://stronglifts.com/free-stronglifts-5x5-report/ ?

Ill check that out tonight.

I know the biggest part of eating right is getting ito the routine.
    I would like to use my blender more, looking for some good recipes to make.

Thanks for the tips.
    Yes that is the one im talking about, i do recommend adding some arm training though. (Do the arm exercises after you've done the 3 compound exercises)

10+ Year Old Account
    if you really want to get into shape-join a gym and start off working out about 3 days a week.then increase that once your not that sore any more.but if you dead set on working out at home "not as good results" buy yourself a weight set,hell even something like one of thoese home gyms would work.do cardio,like go for runs/walks outside.

as for eating right,its best to cook a few days worth of meals at one time.so when your hunger or in a hurry you just pop it in the microwave and bang,dinner ready.it really helps to stop eating shit when you get a craving.

stay away from sugar foods and eat all wheat when to eat carbs.high protein low fat,like tuna,lean meats,and fish like salmon is good also.o and if you drink soda stop!

Stronglifts is RETARDED to do if you have never exercised before. Seriously, you will hurt yourself. If you have not been exercising for over 12 years, you likely have postural problems which need to be addressed first before you can do any compound lift. Even though you don't plan on lifting, you should still correct your postural problems just for general health purposes and to look better. I see so many amateur bodybuilders and weekend warriors who hurt themselves because they never bothered to address their postural and muscular imbalances. In general, EVERYONE should get an assessment from an experienced trainer before they do any lifting program so that they can learn what they need to strengthen and what they need to stretch. I would guess you have either an anterior or posterior pelvic tilt, potentially kyphosis, and potentially forward head lean. It is very unlikely you have good posture with so many years of sitting at a desk.

That said, if you are hell bent on not addressing your muscular imbalances and simply want to be skinnier (not LOOK skinnier since good posture will fix that a lot faster), then try insanity as it is like p90x but without equipment.

Also to the moron who said you dont need to do cardio, no. You dont need to lift heavy to be healthy (should do some lifting to fix muscular imbalances though). You need to do cardio to be healthy. If all you are concerned with is looks, yeah dieting and lifting alone is sufficient. But for those of us who recognize that looks fade and are meaningless in the end, cardio is by far the more important aspect of general fitness.

To diet, the simplest way to do it is to not have anything in the house you can snack on. Meaning you keep no fruit, nuts, bread, or anything else that you could easily grab. That way when you want to eat, you have to think about it. If you think about it, you are a lot more likely to make a healthy choice and are more likely to stay on a diet. Yes, fruits and nuts are healthy but they also are high in calorie and if you're looking for weight loss and you are struggling with self control, it is best to avoid those foods. Having precooked meals as the person above suggested is not the best idea if you are struggling with weight loss. When you get hungry you may simply open the fridge and eat 2 cold meals without even thinking about it. On the other hand, if you have to grill the chicken and steam the broccoli, then you can decide much more easily to only make one chicken breast.

If you are looking simply to eat healthy, then simply do not buy unhealthy things. Buy calorie free red bull if you must. Despite what you have read, diet sodas are not bad for you and do not make you gain weight. Precooked meals in the fridge arent a bad idea since it isn't a big deal if you eat too much. If you live with someone who "needs" unhealthy foods (children), you should keep the food in a separate cabinet and put a lock on it. That way if you have a craving, you have to at least think about unlocking the cabinet.
    Last edited by jbhasban; 2013-01-20 at 03:13 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Epictankz View Post
    I do not want plan to go to the gym, Im looking to work out / exercise routine i can do from home
    Stronglifts 5x5
    lol.

Can't afford P90X and don't have enough room for a pullup bar? Just buy Barbells and squat racks. Going from 0 > Stronglifts at home, by yourself is also terrible, terrible advice.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jbhasban View Post
    Stronglifts is RETARDED to do if you have never exercised before. Seriously, you will hurt yourself. If you have not been exercising for over 12 years, you likely have postural problems which need to be addressed first before you can do any compound lift. Even though you don't plan on lifting, you should still correct your postural problems just for general health purposes and to look better. I see so many amateur bodybuilders and weekend warriors who hurt themselves because they never bothered to address their postural and muscular imbalances. In general, EVERYONE should get an assessment from an experienced trainer before they do any lifting program so that they can learn what they need to strengthen and what they need to stretch. I would guess you have either an anterior or posterior pelvic tilt, potentially kyphosis, and potentially forward head lean. It is very unlikely you have good posture with so many years of sitting at a desk.

That said, if you are hell bent on not addressing your muscular imbalances and simply want to be skinnier (not LOOK skinnier since good posture will fix that a lot faster), then try insanity as it is like p90x but without equipment.

Also to the moron who said you dont need to do cardio, no. You dont need to lift heavy to be healthy (should do some lifting to fix muscular imbalances though). You need to do cardio to be healthy. If all you are concerned with is looks, yeah dieting and lifting alone is sufficient. But for those of us who recognize that looks fade and are meaningless in the end, cardio is by far the more important aspect of general fitness.

To diet, the simplest way to do it is to not have anything in the house you can snack on. Meaning you keep no fruit, nuts, bread, or anything else that you could easily grab. That way when you want to eat, you have to think about it. If you think about it, you are a lot more likely to make a healthy choice and are more likely to stay on a diet. Yes, fruits and nuts are healthy but they also are high in calorie and if you're looking for weight loss and you are struggling with self control, it is best to avoid those foods. Having precooked meals as the person above suggested is not the best idea if you are struggling with weight loss. When you get hungry you may simply open the fridge and eat 2 cold meals without even thinking about it. On the other hand, if you have to grill the chicken and steam the broccoli, then you can decide much more easily to only make one chicken breast.

If you are looking simply to eat healthy, then simply do not buy unhealthy things. Buy calorie free red bull if you must. Despite what you have read, diet sodas are not bad for you and do not make you gain weight. Precooked meals in the fridge arent a bad idea since it isn't a big deal if you eat too much. If you live with someone who "needs" unhealthy foods (children), you should keep the food in a separate cabinet and put a lock on it. That way if you have a craving, you have to at least think about unlocking the cabinet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reqq View Post
    lol.

Can't afford P90X and don't have enough room for a pullup bar? Just buy Barbells and squat racks. Going from 0 > Stronglifts at home, by yourself is also terrible, terrible advice.
    Guess you two dont know how you start 5x5?
    You start the first 4 weeks with only the barbell to sort technique / form out.

Deleted
    I'll tell a complete novice lifter to spend a month in his garage working on his deadlift and squat with a bar - and then I'll check back in to see the results. Would be quite comical, probably.

Dude, even seasoned lifters who know how to squat properly and deadlift properly tend to fail to recognize muscular imbalances and postural problems. You expect a novice to know when he has an anterior pelvic tilt that is preventing him from deadlifting properly or a posterior pelvic tilt that is putting undue stress on his lower back when doing... oh anything? I have been lifting for 10 years and I still go to a trainer every few months for an objective check up on my bodily alignment. It is very hard to self assess yourself properly.

If a novice begins squatting, he will probably hear that he has to go to parallel but also to keep a neutral spine and to not put his knees past his toes. If he lacks glute, hamstring, or adductor flexibility he will not understand why he cannot hit parallel and could quite possibly start allowing his lower back to bend in an attempt to hit parallel when he should spending 30 mins before his squats working on his flexibility and then start squatting. But he will probably have read something that you shouldnt stretch before working out so he doesnt do this. If the person has poor hips but great knees and great calf mobility, he wont understand that he should do front squats instead of back squats. If he has horrible knees but a great lower back and hips, he should be doing a low back squat. People do not learn these things by reading a website. The over-generalization and maxims that form through internet broscience makes any attempt to self educate yourself in the art of lifting hazardous.
    Last edited by jbhasban; 2013-01-20 at 11:42 PM.