Poll: Dating people with a handicap.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Naw, I like hiking, and people I can do that with.

blind or deaf, sure if I like her enough. Missing an arm/leg or part of it, becomes a tougher question, not saying no flat out, but I would have to feel a very strong attachment to this person if I were to pursue a relationship at that point.

Also, I'd like to say I wouldn't leave, but a person can get handicapped to the point where he/she is no longer him/herself and I'm not sure I could stay with her at that point.

Deleted
    i would like to say yes, but i know thats a lie. i could maybe go with someone that can still fully care for themselves, but i wouldn't want to become a carer for them, pushing their wheel chair or helping them with everyday tasks.

Deleted
    Depends on the handicap. Missing a leg for example doesn't really play a huge role. Especially with the technology available to us now and in the future.

I don't know if you count these, but I had a deaf boyfriend before and I once dated a guy with bipolar disorder. The deaf guy was pretty much the same as dating anyone else, so I don't even think of him as handicapped. The bipolar guy was fine for the most part too but when he would stop taking his meds he'd get really difficult to be with. For the most part, I don't think these kinds of things would bother me. (as long as he's still hot! I mean nice!)

I think my answer is the same in this thread as it is in all the other "would you date x" threads. it depends on the person. You meet the right person and things like missing a foot become rather trivial.

Someone may not actively seek out a relationship with a double amputee, but when they meet them and fall in love it doesn't matter a lick. Love is strange like that.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

It depends on both the handicap and the person. If it was something that would have a serious effect on our relationship, then I'm not sure I could handle it. Something like someone being paralyzed from the waist down would just be a deal breaker for me - call me shallow if you want, but I need to be happy in the sack to be happy in a relationship. I wouldn't be doing myself or the other person any favors if I tried to go through with it anyway.

Who the person is and how they react to it are also important. If the person lets their handicap define who they are, then no. I would never be happy with them. I couldn't stand having that gigantic issue in my face all day every day, needing to watch what I say and do just in case it offends them or could be taken badly. If the person has a more normal mentality, then it wouldn't bother me.
    [22:14] <+Lia> And why is Ruken molesting trees?
    [22:14] <@Rukentuts> Because they give me wood.
    [22:14] <+Lia> ...
    [22:14] <+Lia> worst pun ever
    [22:15] * Rukentuts boughs.

Bloodsail Admiral Lethey Alexandros's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Dated a blind girl for while, didnt bother me and she was good natured about it too. Remember on more than one ocassion she would scream out and say "Fuck, who turned out the G'damn lights." or "Im not racist, everyone in the world is black to me."

Quote Originally Posted by Rivyr View Post
    "Fuck, who turned out the G'damn lights."
    That made me lawl for some reason. It also didn't help that I imagined Jenna from Pretty Little Liars shouting it.

Damn I hate that show.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

Deleted
    Depends on the person. But it also partially depends on the handicap. I mean I could ignore a lack of a hand/leg or whatnot, but missing half a brain as you said... don't think so. Unless I was with them before they had an accident, I don't think I would start a relationship with someone with half a brain or something so drastic like that.

However, if I was with someone I truly loved, and, God forbid, they became handicapped, I would stay with said person.

10+ Year Old Account
    If they are mostly functional (like they can go around and physically function in normal live to a mostly normal level) in and of themselves then I would have no problem with it. A total invalid on the other hand I would likely not get involved with for the sake of the future children (yeah, I want to have kids one day).

In the case of someone becoming handicapped when I am already involved with them, it depends. If I'm dating, and they became an invalid I would likely break it off for the same reasons as above. If engaged or married then I cannot break my word for an illegitimate reason such as her becoming an invalid.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    Depends on the person. But it also partially depends on the handicap. I mean I could ignore a lack of a hand/leg or whatnot, but missing half a brain as you said... don't think so. Unless I was with them before they had an accident, I don't think I would start a relationship with someone with half a brain or something so drastic like that.

However, if I was with someone I truly loved, and, God forbid, they became handicapped, I would stay with said person.
    Though people can function normally with half a brain! Atleast so i saw on a doc once, People don't really realise untill they're told.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well I would not initiate a relationship with a handicapped person. Like if i saw a girl in a wheel chair I wouldn't hit on her. But if she initiated it I wouldn't be opposed to it.

Deleted
    Depends on the handicap, appearance and personality of the person.

15+ Year Old Account
    It would really depend on the handicap. I could live with a blind person or some minor physical handicap. Deaf or mute or a mental handicap is bad, as I like conversations with my girl.

Depends on the handicap. Most physical ones I would have no problem with so long as they weren't so very dependant that they can't do anything without someone else. Mental? That depends. Social anxiety types, I would have no problem with. Schizo and other severe? Nope.

And like someone else said, I wouldn't rid myself of my spouse if they ever got so handicapped that they required the help of another person to live.

10+ Year Old Account
    i dont think i have the tools required to deal with a handicapped person in a relationship.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Waifu View Post
    Though people can function normally with half a brain! Atleast so i saw on a doc once, People don't really realise untill they're told.
    http://www.today.com/id/36032653/sit...rl-half-brain/
    Even with half a brain, she is still mostly physically functional to the point that she could operate in everyday life on her own (when she is old enough that is). She also doesn't appear to be suffering mentally because of it. This kind of disability wouldn't really matter to me (assuming her mental state continued to be semi normal as all indications point to).
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

Deleted
    Depends on the handicap as well as the person. Handicapped myself btw.

You fall in love with the person because of who they are, I would never have ruled out starting a relationship simply because of a disability. I can see why someone may not continue a relationship if someone got a handicap whilst they were with them. As callous as that may sound, but if the new disability changes the other half's personality significantly, they are not the person you fell in love with.