Thread: Fire DPS

10+ Year Old Account

Question Fire DPS

Hello,

I have re-rolled a Mage this expansion, because it was one of the classes I had never really tried out. I ended up loving it and it is now my main along with my druid. Anyway, I need some help with my DPS right now. I've heard mixed reviews about Fire DPS, but I tried out arcane when I first hit 90 and hated it, because of the lack of mobility. I'm now fire and can't seem to score high DPS on single target boss fights. The fact that fire depends on "criting" fireball kills my dps in some fights. I'm just wondering if it's worth changing sets of gear to go arcane right now even with the scorch nerf coming up in the next patch. Here is my current fire rotation; feel free to criticize and give me feedback.

Living Bomb (Refresh after last tick)
    Evocation up at all times
    Molten armor

Fireball as filler until I crit (Filler) -> Inferno Blast -> Pyroblast

*Combustion when I crit Pyroblast
    I'm pretty much trying to get as many pyroblasts off as I can and keeping the dots on target.

Deleted
    Hi,

Did you start by reading this post ? http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ire-Mage-Guide

It should be a good starting point.

Deleted
    Fire is not competitive below ilvl 495... and even after you will not see any real shiny numbers.

For dungeons either play frost or reroll to arcane in general.

Your fire-playstyle is correct, you only have to try go get good combustions as well with alter timer and presence of mind.

Deleted
    Fire can be a !@#$% on single target fights. I'm in your position, where I don't like playing frost or arcane and pretty much have to stick with fire for that reason. ilv 488 with around 28.5% crit selfbuffed now and pulling decent numbers.

As someone suggested, try using alter time (and on no-movement fights, presence of mind instead of scorch). Pop it when you have both a pyro proc and heating up active. Chain the pyro's and pop combust on a nice ignite. That can be after all your pyro's have been cast, or in the middle somewhere. Always take into account that a non-crit pyro will lower your ignite, resulting in a lower combustion.

Also, because fire is real RNG heavy, using cd's like combustion when most of your stuff procs is a good idea. Trinkets, enchants, any profession perks, etc should be monitored so you know when you got a decent chance for a high combustion. (Using weakauras for the cd monitor myself, and CombustionHelper to see my ignite.)

Other than that.... pray, pray and pray that the RNG gods will like you. When the stars align, fire is -still- an amazing spec.

I play fire aswell form the start of MoP. I have now an ilvl of 492 and i do very well overall. Yesetrday we did ToeS and i topped dps on 1st (didnt cheat with unnecessary aoe spreading..) and 3rd boss and was 2nd on 2nd. We didnt have time to kill the last one.

Like it was said before, make good use of PoM and Alter Time.
    Also change the bombs u use depending on fight. I go single target with Nether Tempest, more targets Living Bomb.
    The advice you were given before to line up combustion with your procs is true. But as fire is rng i find it often hard to time. I keep tracks of all my stuff that somehow enhances my dps (its about 6 timers i have on my screen), but except in the start where mostly all stuff somehow procs its hard to hope on procs and good burst setup from cds.

Whats also nice, but its for all classes the same, when you read the fight/learn tactics and so on...try to make a plan when u gonna burst (like is it on cd..or is there points in the fight you can benefit from something).

GL

10+ Year Old Account
    I really think you should give arcane (or frost) another go! When I switched to arcane, i hadnt played arcane for like a year, I had to get used to it all. Because fire is so mobile you think arcane sucks donkey balls.. But for different fights you would use different tier 6 talents and also depending on your arcane buit (haste/mastery) you use different rotations/tier 6 talents.

Arcane can be actually very mobile, with the haste built and the Invocation talent, you just keep your stacks up with scorch and after the scorch nerf with arcane explosion :') You can tweak arcane in a few ways, you just have to get used to it

Nimryas - EU-Kazzak ~ My youtube channel

10+ Year Old Account
    scorch for arc is going bye-bye .. and i haveto agreethat agree does suck monkey balls.

look, bottom line is fire is the most fun and it takes time. the link to the mmo thread explaining the rotation for combustion and alter time with pom is prolly the best you ae going to get.

Fire takes a thick skin to play and the best mags have great situational awareness (as was mentioned-knowning burst vs execute phases of fights and mitigating cooldowns and abilities accordingly), awesome keyboardists, and near flawless in their rotation. That only comes with experience and patience. Also, and my biggest problem, is movement. ABC = always be casting, and move only when necessary.

good luck and welcome to the real dark side.

Deleted
    Any one saying fire is decent/viable dps, either; A) dont know what they are talking about. or B) dont have competive dps in their raid. C) Confuses decent/viable with being carried by your fellow raid team. D) are talking about fire in tier14 heroic BiS and even then its iffy..

When Nerfs came i was around 490-95 ilvl, 30.3% crit with around 6k haste. i went from top(3) to bottom(5) of meters. 25m raid.
    I stuck with fire for 2 weeks to really try and test it out and weave out "unlucky" kills before leaving it.

I then changed to frost, as i had used all dkp/valor on crit/haste gear and frost was the easier change.
    Right away i was back in top10+. and after getting used to frost pve i was back in top5 within a week or 2. Then i started playing around with haste arcane and found it to be on par if not better on some fights than frost.

I would suggest picking up frost play it for a few weeks after reading up on it (sticky on this forum and you should see vast improvements.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by PPN View Post
    I play fire aswell form the start of MoP. I have now an ilvl of 492 and i do very well overall. Yesetrday we did ToeS and i topped dps on 1st (didnt cheat with unnecessary aoe spreading..)
    How can you not cheat with spreading on that fight? are you tanking them all at different spots(you should not, unless its elite in witch case two still gets tanked on top of each other). Or are you not using IB to gain HS from HU?...
    Last edited by mmocd79892434a; 2013-01-18 at 04:21 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stX3 View Post
    Any one saying fire is decent/viable dps, either; A) dont know what they are talking about. or B) dont have competive dps in their raid. C) Confuses decent/viable with being carried by your fellow raid team. D) are talking about fire in tier14 heroic BiS and even then its iffy..
    NOT YOU TOO stX3!! i can still put up some pretty decent numbers as fire... 36.44% crit with flask/food/raid buffs... fire still has its time to shine, albeit not every single fight like it used to be. arcane has its moments to shine as well, frost too.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by elpadrino293 View Post
    NOT YOU TOO stX3!! i can still put up some pretty decent numbers as fire... 36.44% crit with flask/food/raid buffs... fire still has its time to shine, albeit not every single fight like it used to be. arcane has its moments to shine as well, frost too.
    I know elpadrino , i tried, i really tried, but the numbers were sooo bad compared to what i could do in frost even in full fire gear.
    But ye 36%(ilvl 500) crit is a start to recover from the CM nerf. Still its "only" ~45%crit with current cm, before on 30%(ilvl 490?~) it would be the same. its just too hard getting reliable combustions, sure i could be in top10 after nerf when i hit a "lucky" streak, they were just miles apart.
    still think we need at least tier14hc BiS before we are even close to recovering. Because fire is only recovering while the other specs are gaining(if that makes any sense :P)

Any way, know for sure that i will be back in fire spec as soon as possible, as i really dislike that frost pet, and arcane is just boring + Im fire by heart, but im heartbroken .

Deleted
    To all what think fire is competive spec for pve. No fire isnt vialbe for pve until you are casual what raid lfr or normal modes. My average dps with arcane is something about 120-130k dps with out any dmg buff if you puting this dps with fire you must be god.
    Last edited by mmoca9a2d58f1f; 2013-01-19 at 12:26 PM.