Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

How good are monks?

I was thinking about rolling a monk asap I can play WoW freely, but just a question..how good are they in healing/dps/tanking and soloing/aoeing and all that stuff, I'm sure you monk players know more than me, thanks for your responses
    Howay the lads!

Healing : Quite Average, since their 5.1 nerf, but still viable !
    DPS : Very Gear dependants but strong in fights where Cleave isn't involved
    Tanking : Very good on fights where you tank multiple things at once (like Stone Guards)

Soloing : They are pretty good, their tanking spec makes them very strong, but not as strong as a DK ofc.

AoE : They are good at this too, their AoE damage as tank or dps is sick, and quite easy to do.

Brewmaster is quite different from the other classes, in the way that you essentially play a late-Cata sub rogue while tanking. They do quite well in raids, but some fights just shit on them.

Windwalker has good sustained AoE DPS and sustained single target DPS, but burst and cleave are awful.(both of those are gonna get slightly better in 5.2)

Mistweaver is very different from other healers as well, because the main heal is channeled and you can go melee DPS and still do healing. They are amazing on some fights(sustained stacked AoE healing), and not very good on others(single target burst healing).
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

Quote Originally Posted by Miuh View Post
    Tanking : Very good on fights where you tank multiple things at once (like Stone Guards)

Soloing : They are pretty good, their tanking spec makes them very strong, but not as strong as a DK ofc.

AoE : They are good at this too, their AoE damage as tank or dps is sick, and quite easy to do.
    this ^ i personally love the way their tanking works pretty fun
    (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻,

15+ Year Old Account
    Just take note: threads like this (wholly objective, "do you reckon this is the class for me" type dealies) get locked up pretty quick.

The long and short of it is that you should try monks out for yourself. You may love it. You may hate it. You may feel powerful. You may feel gimp.

No-one can make that decision but you.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drathos View Post
    Brewmaster is quite different from the other classes, in the way that you essentially play a late-Cata sub rogue while tanking. They do quite well in raids, but some fights just shit on them.
    I'd be curious to hear which fights you think that is the case. H Blade Lord it wasn't me that was dying to OA's, Gara'jal's Shadowy Attacks and Sha's Thrash are negated by EB.

Only fight I don't like is Lei Shi but everyone hates her.
    [/URL]
    The four elements, like man alone, are weak. But together they form the strong fifth element: Boron.

And tbf, BrM are good on Lei Shi : Zen Med FTW

played wow since vanilla. And i must say i love monks, they are a really fun class.
    Sure they have some issues, wich may be fixed with 5.2.
    I havent really played MW/Brewmaster but i must say WW is really really fun. Loads of CC, Good 1vX pvp.
    All around very fun. 2bad MoP isnt fun.
    5.2 might fix, but i doubt it.

In summary, they're not radically OP in endgame the way DKs were, but they aren't super nerfed either; they're more or less balanced, and quite fun.

For what it's worth, though, the leveling process itself with monks is just so much fun. You're in the paladin/druid boat where you can do any role you want (hell, it's even possible to do pretty good ranged dps in the BC levels), so if you get bored you can always go healer or tank for awhile. You also get class quests which increase exp gain by 50%. You tear up dungeon AoE, and you can even heal by dpsing like a disc priest. Don't forget too that the lower levels were redone in Cata, so if you haven't rerolled from lvl 1 in the past few years you might as well make a monk just to see the new content.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Miuh View Post

Actually I dare to say that monk tanks are better then DK's. On most occasions I take less damage, more healing done and more damage output then a slightly better geared DK. Granted magic orientated fight are sometimes tricky compared to a DK but with good use of Zen med, glyphed guard and diffuse magic I even dare to stand on my perception. Monks have a lot of mechanics to play with though which makes them a tricky spec.

healing is my off spec and it can feel as if it's lacking control especially for a other class experienced healer but in my pov it comes down to a lot of anticipation of damage when it comes to raid damage but the instant heals work very well on tanks. In both situations a monk healer can shine I'd handled correctly.
    Last edited by mmoc54c940e576; 2013-01-18 at 05:34 PM.

BrM will give you carpal tunnel syndrome and a headache.

Play one for a bit, then play another tank. Its like going on vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikkaszal View Post
    Just take note: threads like this (wholly objective, "do you reckon this is the class for me" type dealies) get locked up pretty quick.

The long and short of it is that you should try monks out for yourself. You may love it. You may hate it. You may feel powerful. You may feel gimp.

No-one can make that decision but you.
    This wasn't a thread like that. The OP asked how good they are--and that's a fair question. I think most on here have covered strengths, weaknesses, playstyle.... I can't say say for end game, but I will say they are a lot of fun leveling--because they are good at tanking and healing--plus the class comes with these XP bonuses you can get daily. However, WW spec doesn't get a lot of it's toys until later on. I leveled up as BrM and used MW to heal dungeons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly? Not so good, but it's fun to have something new to try.

On H Sha dread thrash has a strong chance to simply RNG gib the tank when relying on avoidance instead of mitigation like prot pallies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gnorrior View Post
    On H Sha dread thrash has a strong chance to simply RNG gib the tank when relying on avoidance instead of mitigation like prot pallies.
    You do realize Pally's don't have 100% CTC cap like they did in Cata where a monk that keeps his shuffle up retains a close to 50% "block" mechanic and can push their avoidance up to 85% almost each thrash.

Downed H Blade Lord last night and it was the plate tank that saw the most spike deaths to OA not me.
    [/URL]
    The four elements, like man alone, are weak. But together they form the strong fifth element: Boron.

Quote Originally Posted by Sumatran View Post
    BrM will give you carpal tunnel syndrome and a headache.

Play one for a bit, then play another tank. Its like going on vacation.
    This so much. Everytime i go on my warrior tank it feels so much easier than my monk.

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealNight View Post
    Only fight I don't like is Lei Shi but everyone hates her.
    I srsly hate her. Most annoying fight ever.
    "Oh i have to taunt better taunt and start beating he..wait...immun" or "hide" -.-

But yes even on Heroic Will i never died before the other tank or before it was called a wipe anyways.
    So monks can be very strong but be ready to get complains about you being spiky. You can have periods of no taking damage and then healers tend to start slacking so when you get back to get a beating they are all like "Wait i actuall have to do my job now? How unexpected!"

Tho you have definitly work harder then other tanks that get so much stuff passive.

Lei Shi's a fun fight if you know how to take advantage of some niche abilities.

At least on heroic, most guilds do the Protectors phase with 1 tank taking Lei Shi for the entire duration. Its quite fun to see our hp jump so much, but prepare properly for the phase jump, and youll need only moderate healing from the healers, (DM at later stacks, ZM at later phases).

I know i personally just set up healing spheres in that phase, and walk into them as i take 1 or 2 sprays, heals you right up with the sick amount of Vengeance, can't rly use EH since itll break CC, so just HS spam.

To OP: you can play the class for fun, but all 3 classes are in the top tier of the skill ceiling classes. BrM has been spoken for by the others; WW really emphasizes proc management, and MW is just a very versatile spec, it can be played a number of ways, with the nerf to the overall numbers, it is easier to discern the great from the average MW.

If you are looking for a moderately easy to pick up class with a high skill ceiling, Monk is the one for you

Deleted
    Meh, don't bother with tanking, it's hard and tedious and healers will still yell at you for being squishy and forcing them to actually pay attention to the screen. Reminds me of blood dks when blood was 1st introduced as a tanking spec.

Quote Originally Posted by Khronius View Post
    Meh, don't bother with tanking, it's hard and tedious and healers will still yell at you for being squishy and forcing them to actually pay attention to the screen. Reminds me of blood dks when blood was 1st introduced as a tanking spec.
    Healers will yell at bad monks, and/or bad healers will yell at monks. There's a difference.