Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    I use Avast. If you want a free program that or nod32 are both really good.
    Last edited by mmocc9b95bb133; 2013-01-18 at 11:18 AM. Reason: typo

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Rather ironic how half of the thread recommends crap which has been consistently been rated at the very bottom of the same comparison OP linked, in last few years even below MSE. Right now it's rated #21...
    Rather ironic that you seem to have a lack of reading comprehension, as you seem to be missing something you even quoted: Nod32 is also great (or used to be, havent used in a while)

Norton isn't a bad AV either, it is just a hell to configure and the user-friendlyness of that shit program equals zero.

kaspersky god tier

Comodo Internet Security 5.12. After 2 years using it, always did an awsome job, never had an issue with it. The new one (v6) is ugly as hell, so i'm sticking to 5.12.

I have been using Microsoft Security Essentials. Its free, updates with Windows update, and has been great for me so far. I do a lot with my machine, and it hasn't let me down so far. Cant beat the price either.

Considering Microsoft knows their OS best, they would know where and how to fix the issues. Other AV would be like taking your Chevy to a Ford dealer for service.
    Last edited by bfoss88; 2013-01-18 at 04:11 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bfoss88 View Post
    I have been using Microsoft Security Essentials. Its free, updates with Windows update, and has been great for me so far. I do a lot with my machine, and it hasn't let me down so far. Cant beat the price either.

Considering Microsoft knows their OS best, they would know where and how to fix the issues. Other AV would be like taking your Chevy to a Ford dealer for service.
    That kind of comparison is like saying the guys who invented the wheel knows how to make the best wheels (by the way, they don't)

Deleted
    I'm using Microsoft Security Essentials.
    It's fast, it's lightweight and never had a virus since!

10+ Year Old Account
    I was thinking this was a bumped thread, but alas someone didn't use the search function.
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/search.p...rchid=49221634
    Six threads (at the time of me searching, including this one) related to people's chosen antivirus and/or their recommendation.

Out of the several that I've read, MSE and MalwareBytes seem to be two of the most popular. I personally use both of them and love 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesta View Post
    Rather ironic that you seem to have a lack of reading comprehension,
    It's not irony, just you being confused.

as you seem to be missing something you even quoted: Nod32 is also great (or used to be, havent used in a while)
    It's been overrated from day one. It never was any good in stopping viruses, just had very low CPU impact which is why gamers were anal about it to get out every last fps from their computers.

Norton isn't a bad AV either, it is just a hell to configure and the user-friendlyness of that shit program equals zero.
    Hell to configure? It works straight out of the box, unlike Kaspersky for example.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanto View Post
    I was thinking this was a bumped thread, but alas someone didn't use the search function.
    Mate, the search function is a total farce. You get threads come up that don't even mention any of the keywords you typed. Try finding any of those "Things That Annoy You" threads for example, using the search function.

norton internet security - had no probs with it what so ever, very good imo - although ppl dont like it ive been told thats coz it buries itself so deep into your comp its a nightmare to get it out but ive looked at reviews of most anti virus software and this and kaspersky came out on top of them all

10+ Year Old Account
    Microsoft Security Essentials combined with Spybot and MalwareBytes. Never had a problem.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ajamu/advanced <---- That's my DK right over there.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    It works straight out of the box, unlike Kaspersky for example.
    I thought kaspersky was pretty retard-proof.. Also, what position is it on your list thing? I'm guessing 1 or 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Chaos View Post
    Yeah used Nod32 back in the day when windows 7 just came out and not much else worked Was wondering if it was still any good i remember Avast and Kaspersky or whatever it was as-well. But that's years ago not used anything since so not sure if still all good or not.

Would not trust a tech guy on commotion. I hear nothing but horror story's from Symantec customers normally about Norton. lol.

Oh and don't mind paying for something guys, i am not some cheap skate. (well as long as its not stupid in cost ofc)
    Then you're obviously uninformed. Norton USE to not be very good, but it has come A LONG way since the early 2000's. It does not use nearly as much memory now (and since a lot of people have at least 8GB of Ram now (I personally have 16GB), the memory is never an issue). I've used AVG, Microsoft Security Essentials, and Avast before and in all honestly, the current iteration of Norton blows all of them out of the water. I don't give two shits what someone else tells you, I can personally vouch for Norton. It works and it works well. Hasn't slowed my computer down once yet, and I have yet to get anything on my computer. I do also run Malwarebytes, but it never finds anything because Norton is able to stop everything. I know there will still be some die hard Norton haters, but honestly, their hatred is unwarranted and based upon what Norton USE to be....not what it CURRENTLY is. Some people will never change. Oh well...ignorance is bliss I guess :P.

That kind of comparison is like saying the guys who invented the wheel knows how to make the best wheels (by the way, they don't)
    At the same time, Microsoft will know how to work on Microsoft products. Not saying Microsoft is the best, just saying they would know how to fix their own stuff.

Deleted
    With this discussion receiving so much attention, I think we should make sure the best advice is known to all:

Don't mess around on sites that stand out as being the obvious "DOWNLOAD VIRUS HERE" and you won't need anything else than a light weight once-a-while scan like malwarebytes for the occasional spy/ad-ware that you might encounter (and for those pesky ads full of crap, use adblock)

Quote Originally Posted by bfoss88 View Post
    At the same time, Microsoft will know how to work on Microsoft products. Not saying Microsoft is the best, just saying they would know how to fix their own stuff.
    That's true, but I'm making the point that while Microsoft made Windows, they're by no means the uppermost experts on it, other than having the actual code. (which is probably public at some level)
    Last edited by mmoc6223637058; 2013-01-18 at 05:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post
    I know there will still be some die hard Norton haters, but honestly, their hatred is unwarranted and based upon what Norton USE to be....not what it CURRENTLY is. Some people will never change. Oh well...ignorance is bliss I guess :P.
    The irony is killing me. This in itself is probably the most ignorant statement in this thread.

I've used Trend Micro Titanium Maximum Security for the past 5 years, I've never had my computer infected with anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Was using always nod32 and tuneup until it f... up my drivers and after uninstalling it my computer on every boot up would lag for next 15-20minutes even combofix didnt fix it so for now im using common sense and nothing else, my new computer is coming soon and i might install MSE just because of flash drives from school which might be infected but other then that i heard good things about MSE and i saw it in net cafe and its quite good.

Intel i5 3570k, Gigabyte 7870 OC 2GB AMD RADEON, Kingston Hyperx T1 2x4GB 1600mhz,
    Seasonic 520w M12, Asrock Z77 Pro4, WD 500GB Blue

Using Bullguard .... never had problems in the 8+ years i have used it .... yes it cost money but it is hassle free and ( so far ) i has never been hit by evil stuff.