Poll: Bards! Yay or Nay?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    a bard/herald class makes sense to me. the combination of magic being used to enhance music and song would fit just fine.

the right harmony empowered with magic can pacify enemies, confuse them, or instill fear in them. it can deliver a sonic boom to weaken armors, damage vital organs or burst their eardrums. or rally his allies, giving them the drive and determination to push on even when things look bleak

I've never been very interested in bards as a potential class. I guess there are people out there who would enjoy a purely support class, but I'm not one of them. I'm not so concerned about the lore (surely there are musicians/entertainers amongst each of the races), but I just can't see it working in WoW from a mechanical standpoint. They would have to make it a viable solo questing class just like all the others, and I can't think of any way to do that that wouldn't be really cheesy. The logistics of Brewmasters fighting with beer is already pushing it.

No. That wouldn't fit WoW at all and I would probably stop playing if they added something like that to be honest.

I love Bard style classes, that support role - offhealing, offDPSing, buffing, can be a lot of fun (and in Rift it is). I don't think Blizzard would or could make it work within WoW though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bard 100% Yay!

10+ Year Old Account
    Do spellcasters not chant words to make thier spells work? (In D&D, yes, they do unless you have silent casting). Bards are essentially mages, that use songs rather then spellchants to make thier magic work. So, yea.

Of course, in RPGs, bards have ALWAYS been a support class. In WoW there really isn't "support" anymore, theres tank, dps, and healing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

A bard class works in a game like LOTRO but I don't see it fitting in well with WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Roulette Kneebasha View Post
    I'd rather see music as a profession than a class. Build instruments, play for buffs, pets, something fun and optional. For flavor.

But as a class, not so much.
    This, it would be much better as (secondary) profession. Emphasis on "optional" though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Amonra View Post
    See, still, you are going one step too far. We first should answer, where would bard magic come from in wow? The technicalities only surface after this.
    The questions can come in either order, all that matters is "is one of them a no".

Not knowing how to fuel an engine.
    Seeing that an engine won't power your device even if you can fuel it.

If you know your engine can't be fueled - there's no point in building it and finding a way for it to power something.
    If you know your engine won't power anything - there's no point in building it and finding a fuel source.

Finding a fault in either one of them prevents you building said engine, I'm more interested in game design than the specificity of the lore - it's easier for me to see that a bard class wouldn't work on a mechanical level than delving into the depths of the lore.

I think if WoW to bring in anything like a bard it would be more of a herald type of class. sure, they'd use music, song and magic, but they wouldn't be running around with a lute or pipe. they'd be a soldier with an inspirational voice. in WoW, i'd imagine them being able to deploy a couple of battle standards as well

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the last thing WOW needs is to add singer pop culture into the game.
    We don't need a million blood elves with black hair RP walking backwards with
    different versions of Micheal Jackson's name or another million female gnomes
    with different versions of Justin Bieber in battlegrounds.
    I don't think Lore wise they could be respected either.
    I am an Orc warrior who just killed a dragon with nothing but Axe
    vs
    I heal and/Dps by playing a catchy or mean tone on my magical harp
    .... There is a reason, the only music based thing in WoW is a metal band.

Quote Originally Posted by Roulette Kneebasha View Post
    I'd rather see music as a profession than a class. Build instruments, play for buffs, pets, something fun and optional. For flavor.

But as a class, not so much.
    this! a bard profession would be awesome!

whenever people talk about it as a class though it always seems like one of those things they dont really think through and are just kinda like "GUITARS ELITE TAUREN CHIEFTANS YEAHH"
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

While I do enjoy them in a couple of other games that I've played, they don't really have a place in Warcraft lore at all. Support role or not, they just don't fit into the lore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayb View Post
    a bard/herald class makes sense to me. the combination of magic being used to enhance music and song would fit just fine.

the right harmony empowered with magic can pacify enemies, confuse them, or instill fear in them. it can deliver a sonic boom to weaken armors, damage vital organs or burst their eardrums. or rally his allies, giving them the drive and determination to push on even when things look bleak
    There's a lore approach, thanks! But, in a world like wow, these things just sound... kinda lighthearted, like cool but impractical. And above all, too different from the tone wow has.

enhancing music and sound just sound really, unpractical, when there are easier ways to take care someone, like melting their faces off. Magic in WoW has always been used in very practical ways, streamlined depending to what powers it.

It just sounds rather silly to use lutes and guitars to fight monsters when you might as well pick a stick and hit it, or learn magic to burn it/melt it/freeze it, or stab it, or burn it with holy light.

It does begs the question. Is it too far removed from Brewmasters? Using Ales to fight? Yes and no. Brewmaster is a specialization of the Monk, so it's basically a monk that uses unique alchemy.

But then would bard work as a spec of a existing class? making them a new class sounds far-fetched to me, but a spec sounds doable. But not imperative or best suited at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockwood View Post
    I don't think Lore wise they could be respected either.
    I am an Orc warrior who just killed a dragon with nothing but Axe
    vs
    I heal and/Dps by playing a catchy or mean tone on my magical harp
    .... There is a reason, the only music based thing in WoW is a metal band.
    That's not it at all. World of Warcraft's pretty tame. It's not a brutal game. In fact, for an MMO, it's always been fairly.... soft and fluffy. If you're playing World of Warcraft for the brutalityo f killing dragons with axes... you should probably look elsewhere.

The reason why bards don't fit in is simply because they've never had a place in the lore. There has never been a bard unit or anything close to it in the franchise' history. If there were a bard unit even as recently as Warcraft 3, you'd probably be singing a different tune. (Pun purely accidental).

There's simply nothing established in the game series to base them off of.

---------- Post added 2013-01-19 at 09:28 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Amonra View Post
    There's a lore approach, thanks! But, in a world like wow, these things just sound... kinda lighthearted, like cool but impractical. And above all, too different from the tone wow has.
    Are you implying that World of Warcraft isn't lighthearted? Some of you don't get into high fantasy much outside of World of Warcraft if you haven't felt World of Warcraft's lightheartedness since day 1. It's one of the main reasons I've played this game for as long as I have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bards...it's warcraft not some D&D or other rpg....Give us Illidan-Style Deamon Hunters

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagassh View Post
    The questions can come in either order, all that matters is "is one of them a no".

Not knowing how to fuel an engine.
    Seeing that an engine won't power your device even if you can fuel it.

If you know your engine can't be fueled - there's no point in building it and finding a way for it to power something.
    If you know your engine won't power anything - there's no point in building it and finding a fuel source.

Finding a fault in either one of them prevents you building said engine, I'm more interested in game design than the specificity of the lore - it's easier for me to see that a bard class wouldn't work on a mechanical level than delving into the depths of the lore.
    Then I just have to disagree with you. For me, there must be a basal level of plausibility in order to even start considering more variables (such as gameplay)

10+ Year Old Account
    I came here expecting at least one FFIV reference and got none.

Anyway the only reason I'd be interested seeing bards as a class would be to see how would they do it. Bards feel so much like a support class it's hard to imagine them dpsing or even fully healing, and WoW doesn't really have support classes anymore, so some... creativity would be needed to make it work. Depending on how it's twisted wto work I'm not sure if they need extensive lore, in some situations I could even live with a "here's a harp no go sing" -class backstory, though that would be far from ideal.

Bard might work as a spec for entirely different class [and I have no idea what that class would be] as a gimmick healer or something, if a non-profession bard is needed.

there's a lot of things in lore that don't fit with lore but were made to fit with the lore. do you really think that because a bard might not fit with lore that they can't make it, or something similar fit it?

I'd just like a support class in the game, classes that can play the support role, in their own ways. I wouldn't want a bard, but I'd like something that fits what that class would do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Veyne View Post
    That's not it at all. World of Warcraft's pretty tame. It's not a brutal game. In fact, for an MMO, it's always been fairly.... soft and fluffy. If you're playing World of Warcraft for the brutalityo f killing dragons with axes... you should probably look elsewhere.

The reason why bards don't fit in is simply because they've never had a place in the lore. There has never been a bard unit or anything close to it in the franchise' history. If there were a bard unit even as recently as Warcraft 3, you'd probably be singing a different tune. (Pun purely accidental).

There's simply nothing established in the game series to base them off of.

---------- Post added 2013-01-19 at 09:28 AM ----------

Are you implying that World of Warcraft isn't lighthearted? Some of you don't get into high fantasy much outside of World of Warcraft if you haven't felt World of Warcraft's lightheartedness since day 1. It's one of the main reasons I've played this game for as long as I have.
    Actually I don't believe WoW is lighthearted. I mean, is not DARK and GRITTY, but it definitely has a more "realistic" approach to conflict and internal consistency and explaining of the universe forces. Still, that's not the point I was trying to make; It's more like bards are just too much of a different tone. Like a Sailor Moon type of magic. You can't say that there's not death and suffering in sailor moon, but the overall tone is just different.