Poll: Bards! Yay or Nay?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Only way I would want bards to be a part of the WoW universe is if they based it off the power of the Wishsong from the Shannara universe. Not necessarily singing songs, but more or less just controlling the pitch and volume, etc. of your voice to focus energy into what you want it to be with your mind. Maybe cross it a bit with the Dragon Shouts from Skyrim. You're welcome!! Alas, it will never happen.

nay, I hate music

also: whenever I see poll options as "yay" or "nay" I remember disgaea
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Kryos View Post
    Bard in Rift worked fine - I would like that class. Problem: Items. Blizz would need to add tons of instruments items just for one class.

LOL! the 2nd pic looks awkward as fuck. Using music to hurt a monster really?

but should it ever happen, I want them to have all of ricardo's attacks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aL38KJ5TjE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2cWBqy7Anc
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

Deleted
    Bards don't exist on Warcraft lore and if there is a hint of them, it's pretty minor.

I do like bard classes in general, however It doesn't seem like a fit for WoW not for game play nor do I see how the lore can be squeezed in currently. Though that doesn't mean blizz wouldn't make up something new to force it, but overall to me Nay.
    Infectionate Pawsthorne Bubblesbee
    [A] [H]
    Nasturtium Fisticuffs Blesshu Sinnocence Ellipsis Hiddenfee Teddiursa

Deleted
    ANOTHER new melee class?

*sob*

I would really like a spellcaster-type necromancer. They could easily be implemented in a Northrend/Scourge revamp xpac, and start alongside DK's.

Deleted
    A Bard class would fit just right in wow if they allowed support specs again because it is a pure support class, with nothing more other than a dps spec workable onit. But this time make them have a real support role and then minor dps then the other way around. This is the only way I see a support spec happening, so the player has minor dps that is boosted just enough to be soloing but has mainly supportive abilities that augment the allies performance in battle. I see no real reason why this couldn't be applied in wow for support specs. The way I would implement a Bard class would be to have a musical spec to be a healer support because music is good for ur mind and spirit, an actor spec that uses acts acompannied by music to awe enemies in place and inspire allies and a dancer dps spec, because every class needs a dps right??maybe u would like to check out my idea in my signature
    Last edited by mmoc4874008d12; 2013-01-19 at 03:27 PM.

Deleted
    No, especially when considering that the Warcraft universe has much more 'unusual' and interesting classes to choose from, such as tinker and demon hunter.

10+ Year Old Account
    For the second time in as many days, nay. I don't see how this would ever fit into WoW lore and it would look absolutely absurd to have somebody over there strumming a lute or blowing a fife while I'm trying to tank a pack of orcs or something.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm dividing classes into three tiers.

Original. The ones from vanilla.
    Tier two. Monk, DK. and the next mail class. This will balance out the 4 gear types.
    Tier three. Anything added beyond the first three per gear type.

I see Demon Hunter as the last tier two class. But I do see Bard being added as a tier three cloth or leather.

Blizz has a number of musical animations already in game. And I'm sure making a bard would be like making a DK (unique resource) and Monk (New animations) plus some extra (New weapon type?)

---------- Post added 2013-01-19 at 10:13 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Amonra View Post
    Actually I don't believe WoW is lighthearted. I mean, is not DARK and GRITTY, but it definitely has a more "realistic" approach to conflict and internal consistency and explaining of the universe forces. Still, that's not the point I was trying to make; It's more like bards are just too much of a different tone. Like a Sailor Moon type of magic. You can't say that there's not death and suffering in sailor moon, but the overall tone is just different.
    If you ask me, Bard has a bit of a bad name. The idea of song/story to inspire or uninspire would fit well with WoW's dark story. I mean what would be better than fighting the Legion while hearing the legend of Turalyon, or how Agewynn defeated Sargeras.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    I'm dividing classes into three tiers.

Original. The ones from vanilla.
    Tier two. Monk, DK. and the next mail class. This will balance out the 4 gear types.
    Tier three. Anything added beyond the first three per gear type.

I see Demon Hunter as the last tier two class. But I do see Bard being added as a tier three cloth or leather.

Blizz has a number of musical animations already in game. And I'm sure making a bard would be like making a DK (unique resource) and Monk (New animations) plus some extra (New weapon type?)[COLOR="red"]
    makes sense to me

f you ask me, Bard has a bit of a bad name. The idea of song/story to inspire or uninspire would fit well with WoW's dark story. I mean what would be better than fighting the Legion while hearing the legend of Turalyon, or how Agewynn defeated Sargeras.
    Exactly and not only that, people need to understand that Bards aren't in-game because of the current dps/healer/tank template, because how can music mitigate damage or fully heal an allie or even deal damage? But they would fit perfectly in a support role which is what they do best. A singing minstrel for improving healing on allies makes sense because music is capable of lifting our spirits, a thespian/actor is capable of deceiving enemies and inspiring allies working well as an all-around support spec and finally a dancing gymnastic capable of doing damage and stunning foes would also be a new and exciting way to dps. I have this all in my Bard idea thread if anyone cares 2 read more about it...

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Honestly, I would hate for the Bard Class to be added.

Here is why.
    Bards Wear Leather, we have 3 Leather classes already, the class gap is only in mail.
    Bards are rogues who cast spells and illusions. Adding another class with Stealth would cause all kinds of PVP grief.
    Bards Buff, DeBuff, and Tank through evasions and misdirection. It would be far better to make Bards the 4th Spec for Rogues as a tanking spec, with some party utility.

So I vote for the Rogue 4th Spec being called bard based on the Subtlety evasion Tank spec with added Party utilities, like a debuff which makes it easier for party members to hit, and a party buff for damage It could even have a few seconds of party dancing for flavor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bards are the worst class ever conceived, ever. For any game.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    It would be far better to make Bards the 4th Spec for Rogues as a tanking spec, with some party utility.
    Rogues would never go for that because for some reason they're in love with being the "only pure melee dps class", as if that meant something important.

I think Combat should be switched to a tank spec. Think of Errol Flynn in the old pirate movies or the Count of Monte Cristo, or Robin Hood or something along those lines. Those guys could take on a pack of 10 opponents and wiggle and dodge their every attack. That would make an awesome tank spec. They wouldn't use shields, they'd dual-wield swords or something and parry everything while dancing circles around their opponents. The more they dodge and parry, the more they frustrate and anger their target, thereby holding aggro.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bards really can't have a place in WoW without them introducing a couple other support classes or at least changing specs to give multiple classes a support class role. Seeing as they've moved shamans further away from that role, I don't see them going back and reintroducing it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    Honestly, I would hate for the Bard Class to be added.

Here is why.
    Bards Wear Leather, we have 3 Leather classes already, the class gap is only in mail.
    Bards are rogues who cast spells and illusions. Adding another class with Stealth would cause all kinds of PVP grief.
    Bards Buff, DeBuff, and Tank through evasions and misdirection. It would be far better to make Bards the 4th Spec for Rogues as a tanking spec, with some party utility.

So I vote for the Rogue 4th Spec being called bard based on the Subtlety evasion Tank spec with added Party utilities, like a debuff which makes it easier for party members to hit, and a party buff for damage It could even have a few seconds of party dancing for flavor.
    a little too much based off the Rift bard ur 4th rogue spec suggestion no? anyways here is the multiple items ur post is dead wrong:
    -Bards do not need to wear leather.they also don't need to wear mail really. leave the mail to demon hunters and dragonsworns and let Brads become the first cloth melee dps. Anyway that's up to Blizzrd 2 decide not u.
    -bards are not rogues, they are performers of the arts. they do not cast illusions, those are the mesmers from GWs.
    -bards buff, debuff(they do not tank) through artistical performances that inspire allies or affect foes.

---------- Post added 2013-01-19 at 05:29 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Aoyi View Post
    Bards really can't have a place in WoW without them introducing a couple other support classes or at least changing specs to give multiple classes a support class role. Seeing as they've moved shamans further away from that role, I don't see them going back and reintroducing it.
    I second that. That's why my hope rests on Blizzard adding my Tinker, my Dragonsworn and my Bard =(

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonQShot View Post
    a little too much based off the Rift bard ur 4th rogue spec suggestion no? anyways here is the multiple items ur post is dead wrong:
    -Bards do not need to wear leather.they also don't need to wear mail really. leave the mail to demon hunters and dragonsworns and let Brads become the first cloth melee dps. Anyway that's up to Blizzrd 2 decide not u.
    -bards are not rogues, they are performers of the arts. they do not cast illusions, those are the mesmers from GWs.
    -bards buff, debuff(they do not tank) through artistical performances that inspire allies or affect foes.
    Since Blizzard has always used D&D as a bases for class ideas, lets look at the bard in 2nd, 3erd, and 3.5 Edition. (there is no 4th edition although there will be a fifth)

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    The bard is a standard playable character class in many editions of the Dungeons & Dragons fantasy role-playing game.[1] The bard class is versatile, capable of combat and of magic (Divine magic in earlier editions, arcane magic in later editions). Bards use their artistic talents to induce magical effects. The class is loosely based on the special magic that music holds in stories such as The Pied Piper of Hamelin, and in earlier versions was much more akin to being a Celtic priest or a Norse Skald, although these elements have largely been removed in later editions. Listed inspirations for bards include Taliesin, Homer, Will Scarlet and Alan-a-Dale.

Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 2nd edition (1989-1999)

The bard, as part of the "rogue" group, was one of the standard character classes available in the second edition Player's Handbook; in this edition, the bard was regularized.

Dungeons & Dragons 3rd edition (2000-2007)

In Third Edition Dungeons and Dragons, the bard class continued its change from a druidic loremaster in first edition into a jack-of-all-trades (retaining mainly the original Bardic Knowledge ability, an almost universal chance to know anything based on character level and Intelligence).

In Third Edition D&D, bards now could be any non-lawful alignment, meaning Bards could no longer be Lawful Neutral, but now could be Chaotic Good and Chaotic Evil. This was explained on the grounds that a bard wanders freely and is guided by intuition and whim. The rules also state that a bard's powers are incompatible with law and tradition, although authentic historical bards were in fact keepers of traditions and knowledge; this portrayal of the bard might be a misinterpretation, creative or unintended, of the laws which put a bard above a common free man due to their erudition and place as sacred speakers of rote and history.

The D&D bard, despite the roots of the word itself, is inspired more by wandering minstrels who were indeed considered "rogues" of a sort (for instance, attempting to earn free food and rooms at inns through doing odd jobs like killing rats, singing, or just wooing the bartender). D&D bards are described as not necessarily opposed to tradition, but to the staleness and risk of corruption that comes with a settled life.

3.5 Edition Revisions

In 2003, the Revised "3.5" edition of Dungeons and Dragons was released, including several minor but significant changes to the Bard class. Bards gained increased access to skills and the ability to cast bard spells while in light armor. The bard is the only Core class able to freely cast arcane spells in armor, as well as the only Core class with Speak Language as a class skill (supplementary 3.5 books later introduced new base classes with these abilities).

Perhaps more significantly, one of the bard's trademark abilities—that of bardic music—was both strengthened and tied more closely to the bard class. In the previous 3.0 edition, the bardic music abilities available to a character depended only on the amount of Perform skill that character possessed, not advancement in the bard class. These abilities largely did not improve, once acquired, and no new abilities became available at high levels; only the number of daily uses of the music increased with bard class level. In the 3.5 version, not only was the availability of bardic music abilities tied to bard class level as well as Perform skill, but also most of these abilities now significantly improved in potency with progression in the bard class. New high-level bardic music effects were introduced as well as progressive improvements of existing ones.

Finally, in this edition, bard became the favored class for the gnome race, replacing the traditional illusionist. The dvati (an obscure race, composed entirely of sets of twins, that first appeared in Dragon magazine #271), also have bard as their favored class, and the satyr also shares this class as a favorite. The star elf race from the Forgotten Realms setting's Unapproachable East sourcebook also has bard as its favorite class.
    Bards have always been used as Rogue who sparkle and preform to cause distraction while the party destroys the target. A good Bard can stand in the back of the party and tank while the warrior rips the target apart.

In WOW we can't have the tank stand behind the party, but the simple truth is Bards could be added to Rogues, and can be used as a Tank spec.

Like I said, paladin and shaman were practically pure support classes even into tBC. But no one liked being forced into that role when your paladin and shaman had dps specs too. If pally and shammy healing style had remained support oriented, this game could have very easily accommodated the addition of bards. Homogenization dictated otherwise.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

It's not difficult to think of ways a bard could work in WoW. The game is full of mobs that attack with sound magic, with the most high-profile recent example being Imperial Vizier Zor'lok. There is a sound elemental lord, Murmur, so the idea that sound magic doesn't fit in the lore just doesn't hold water. On top of that, Hearthsinger Forresten, a rare boss in Stratholme, is a literal bard, and uses shouts and songs along with a bow to debuff, cc and attack. In other words, this is a real class lore-wise, we just can't play it, same as demon hunters, necromancers and all the rest.

As far as the taboo against support classes go, it's a relic of a time when there was no such thing as dual spec, and the cost of changing specs was prohibitive. Neither of these is the case anymore. The class could easily accommodate a dps, healing and support spec.

With that said, they would probably put in another class or two before they did this one.