Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    i5-4xxx? i7-4xxx? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

I am annoyed. They need to figure something new out, holy crap.
    What is wrong with it?
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    What is wrong with it?
    It is old and going to become an annoyance.

I just want something new and fresh.

/OCDproblems
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

It is old and going to become an annoyance.

I just want something new and fresh.

/OCDproblems
    Intel 4Core 4Thread Unlocked Extreme 3.5GHz and Intel 4Core 8Thread Unlocked Extreme 3.6GHz?
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

10+ Year Old Account
    Instead of doing the silly "Core i5-4xxx" Just call it something simply that denotes it's generation.

Like uhh..

How does Pentium 4 sound?

wait, crap.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Instead of doing the silly "Core i5-4xxx" Just call it something simply that denotes it's generation.

Like uhh..

How does Pentium 4 sound?

wait, crap.
    They can't use Pentium anymore since it is the "budget" model these days. I'd love to see a Pentium 5 though.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd just like to see a new naming version come out, the i3, i5, i7 stuff is old and honestly? The 1155 should not have an i7, maybe they could call it an i6 or i5HT, because it isn't an i7. A true i7 is the Extreme CPUs. People get these confused all the time I've seen. They think they're getting a real i7 and think they are so superior to us i5 owners, when really? Their "i7" is just an i5 with maybe 1MB more L3 Cache or so and Hyper-threading.

Ooooooooooooooo
    "A flower.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'd just like to see a new naming version come out, the i3, i5, i7 stuff is old and honestly? The 1155 should not have an i7, maybe they could call it an i6 or i5HT, because it isn't an i7. A true i7 is the Extreme CPUs. People get these confused all the time I've seen. They think they're getting a real i7 and think they are so superior to us i5 owners, when really? Their "i7" is just an i5 with maybe 1MB more L3 Cache or so and Hyper-threading.

Ooooooooooooooo
    Someone seems butthurt because he didn't buy i7. ^_^

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghâzh View Post
    Someone seems butthurt because he didn't buy i7. ^_^
    That's not it at all, I just think their naming is dumb. Perhaps it's good for business though, my time in some business classes tells me it's probably for the marketing. "ooooooooo I CAN GET AN i7 FOR ONLY $300?! SOLD!"

As opposed to the $600-$1k variants. lol

But no, I really don't care. I'm happy with my i5.
    "A flower.

Are Hashwell CPUs going to run on 1155 socket or are we getting a new one?

Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    Are Hashwell CPUs going to run on 1155 socket or are we getting a new one?
    Socket 1150 for desktop.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    going by what the overwhelming majority thinks it needs it pointless, the overwhelming majority of computer users wouldn't know which end of a computer is up with it wasn't labeled, and even among gamers, the overwhelming majority needs to upgrade and quit using there crappy dual core cpus, the limitation on computer gaming is more their fault than it is of consoles, as much as developers don't want to spend time porting a console game, they also dont want to invest time into making a game that only 3% of computer gamers can run
    Most desktops are quad core these days, most laptops are using i5 dual core processors because they are cheaper. So if Intel dropped the dual core version of the i5 and either juices up the i3 to be more powerful and they make the i5 a budget quad core for laptops, things would be far less of an issue. Mobile computing is far more popular then desktops in general too, so laptops could potentially be holding back gaming as well.

Socket 1150 for desktop.
    So we have to get new Motherboards ... Are there any new features that are going to be included in 1150 socket boards?

Deleted

Ooooooooooooooo
    Why would they want to change their naming scheme when people should understand it by now?

I can see your point about the i7, but naming just one CPU in your generation i-6 (for instance) seems a bit to much imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Most desktops are quad core these days, most laptops are using i5 dual core processors because they are cheaper. So if Intel dropped the dual core version of the i5 and either juices up the i3 to be more powerful and they make the i5 a budget quad core for laptops, things would be far less of an issue. Mobile computing is far more popular then desktops in general too, so laptops could potentially be holding back gaming as well.
    well, think of it this way, if the i3 and i5 are like the trendy popular car, they would be a toyota prius, then the i7, i7e, and xeon, are a pick up truck

one is clean and efficient, one is not, but you only see one parked at and used at construction sites, no matter how popular the prius is, it's a useless piece of junk when you need to move 500 lbs of sheetrock

same thing with computer CPUs, it doesn't matter how popular the i3 and i5 mobile are, they simply don't get the job done when it comes to content production, virtualization, and compute

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    I am sure Intel would be more then happy to hear your suggestions on the matter

Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    So we have to get new Motherboards ... Are there any new features that are going to be included in 1150 socket boards?
    The only thing I know of right now is that Z87 will feature all SATA 6Gb/s ports and more USB 3.0 ports than Z77.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    I am sure Intel would be more then happy to hear your suggestions on the matter
    they already know, if they followed what is popular, we would have nothing but i3s and i5s

10+ Year Old Account
    The only thing I know of right now is that Z87 will feature all SATA 6Gb/s ports and more USB 3.0 ports than Z77.
    I'm sold! I had not heard this, but this is fantastic news, because frankly SATA is a bottleneck now, even 6Gb/s, but it's good enough.

Frankly I think a socket refresh every 2~ years is perfect. You can come out with new chipsets for the socket during those 2 years, but new sockets/motherboards allow for newer technologies that the older CPUs might not support, thus why I don't agree with AMD's philosophy. Their philosophy is good for saving money, not for gaining new benefits and performance. Thus, I am happy with this move by Intel.

Hell, I might just upgrade to Haswell later this year if the benefits are enough over my P67-based 1155 Sandyboard.
    "A flower.

I think running 2 generations on the same socket with compatibility between the chipsets is great, but I am concerned about Broadwell.

It is said that Broadwell will also be using socket 1150 but they are moving several functions from the motherboard chipset to the CPU with broadwell. I'm not sure how that will work and perhaps the Z87 motherboards will be able to disable those functions via BIOS to circumvent conflicts otherwise you might be forced to upgrade the motherboard again while still being on the same socket.

Speaking of Haswell & new motherboards... I hope the new Asus Sabertooth board looks sexy.