Page 1 of 14
... LastLast

Thumbs up Next Expansion Evidence

The topic is what we will probably see in the next expansion based on evidence, lore, and posts by blizzard employees already. Make a suggestion, provide your evidence, and list pros and cons if there are any. Over time I will update this and bump the most likely theories to the top.

TL;DR: This is not for baseless speculation or to just say what you hope it is. It's what evidence exists already. This post will be continually updated as more evidence comes to light to reflect the most likely candidates.

Theme:

1. Elemental Plane of Water/Azshara Theme
    Evidence in favor:
    +Naga storyline has never been finished and they have close ties with the Legion
    +Underwater mounts that are currently unused.
    +N'zoth Storyline never finished.
    +Lots of Coastal Zones never fleshed out (Northern Eastern Kingdoms, Kul Tiras, and Tomb of Sargeras)
    +Azshara still at large.
    Evidence Against:
    -Vashjir was largely unliked by most players (and so are most underwater quests).
    -Naga have always been a subplot.

2. Another Burning Legion Theme
    Evidence in favor:
    +Wrathion conversation shows green meteors attacking Azeroth.
    +The hint of a coming Army of Light.
    +Could give Outland the Cataclysm overhaul, smoothing out the content between expansions.
    +Chris Metzen says he wants to go to Argus.
    +Chris Metzen hinted at an Illidan revival.

Evidence Against:
    -This could potentially "end the story" too soon, if Sargeras is to be considered the final bad guy of WoW.
    -It's implied the Army of Light would unite the horde and the alliance. Doesn't look like that will be happening anytime soon. (Unless killing Garrosh brings peace)

3. Emerald Dream
    Evidence in favor:
    +Emerald Dream plot has come and gone with little conclusion in-game.
    +Many fans want to know more about it and it's been teased since Vanilla.
    +We've seen a lot of places named (the Eye of Ysera, Rift of Aln, Daral'nir). Not including the few datamined from Classic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphan View Post
    Here're a couple of video's showing there's still interest in developing the Emerald Dream (both from after the release of Stormrage).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LRjr...utu.be&t=11m9s
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtB_WcwfA7U

Evidence Against:
    -Plot hasn't been touched since early Cataclysm
    -Very Druid specific and hardly relevant to other classes.
    -Most of the Nightmare plot was resolved in Stormrage by Richard Knaak
    -Content made during Classic has yet to even be used.

4. Something Else Entirely
    +There are a few worlds mentioned or visited in WoW that aren't Azeroth, Draenor, or Emerald Dream.

Zones/Continents:

1. Outland Revamp
    (Or another Outland Continent)
    Evidence in favor:
    +Blizzard has admitted to wanting to redo Outland when it feels right
    +Older maps of Draenor showed that the continent continued beyond what we currently see
    +New Warlock Quest is set at the Black Temple
    Evidence Against:
    -If the legion comes to Azeroth, a revamp of outland isn't needed.
    -It would be the first time an expansion was a remake of an expansion.
    -Last time they did a revamp of a continent it was considered a flop.

2. More Landmasses in Azeroth
    Evidence in Favor:
    +A few unused zones still
    +Some locations mentioned in Lore, but as yet unseen (Kul Tiras, Kezan/Undermine, Tel'Abim, just to name a few)

Evidence Against:
    -Too much like a cataclysm overhaul

3. Underwater Zones
    Evidence in favor:
    Same evidences as the Plane of Water themed expansion.
    +Could be combined with the "More Landmasses in Azeroth" idea
    Evidence Against:
    -Vash'jir. Anymore underwater zones would have to be designed with a different layout.

Races:
    Horde Theories:
    Ogres:
    +Metzen has mentioned before he would like to see Ogres as playable someday.
    +Ogres have long been members of the Horde.
    +Many horde players want to see them as an option.
    +A revisit to Outland would boost chances of them being used.

Hozen:
    +Already allied with the Horde
    -In small numbers, however.

Alliance Theories:
    High Elves:
    +Players have wanted them for years.
    +Already members of the alliance.
    +Would add another Warlock and Paladin race to the Alliance.
    +Would be the first non-monster/animal race since Classic.
    -Re-use of Models would probably get some backlash.
    -Alliance already have an Elf race
    -Very low populations

The Broken:
    +Would fit a legion/outland expansion
    +Could be the race Alliance gets of Horde gets Ogres

-Might be more of a Shaman-Subrace of Draenei
    -Draenei lore was originally based on the broken.

Jinyu:
    +Already allied with Alliance
    +Connection with seas would fit an Azshara expansion

Neutral Theories:
    Sub Races:+There is already a lot of lore in places for sub-races to exist. Mag'har, Taunka, High Elves/Highborne, Dark Iron Dwarves, that are all technically members of the Alliance or the Horde.
    Blood/High Elves:
    +With Pandaren, making the Elves into a neutral race is now a possibilty, with faction choosing becoming the determining racial name
    -This would mean the Horde "lose" a race

Naga:
    +Wanted by players for years.
    +Would fit an Aquatic themed expansion.

-Only one faction not loyal to Azshara.

Ethereals:
    +Fits with a legion themed expansion
    +Fits a Demon Hunter class

-Very Neutral Race
    -Don't wear armor

Classes:

New Mail Wearing Class

If there is a new class added to the game will very likely be a Mail wearing class. It would either be a hybrid class of DPS/Tank or DPS/Healer. We have 4 pure DPS classes and 3 3-spec Hybrid classes. It cannot be a very race-specific class.

Like Monks and Death Knights there will probably be a reason for every race being able to roll one. After exempting Pandaren from DK's, and Worgen/Goblins from Monks, I don't think Blizzard will continue leaving races out of classes. They might. But I doubt it.

There's also a good chance it would be a ranged class. Currently hunters are the only class that uses guns and bows.

I'd also like to stress that there's a very good chance we won't get a new class at all this next expansion. They waited one full expansion between Death Knights and now to add one, they may do it again. In Q&A's they said Death Knights were a head ache and they weren't sure if WoW even needed a new class. With Monks, Blizzard may decide they're done adding new classes.

Regardless;

Evidence:
    +This will bring the classes up to 3 plate, 3 mail, 3 leather, and 3 spirit.
    +It would fill the gap removing Shaman-Tank created.
    +They could use gear that Shaman use and hunters once used.

Candidates:

1. Demon Hunter (DPS/Tank)
    +A monk at the peak of serenity claims to have always wished to be a demon hunter. (This could be a joke)
    +Another Legion themed expansion would be a good time to roll this out.
    +Would fit the description of using Mail, and being a DPS/Tank. Might finally be the "warlock tank"

-Hinges on it being a Legion themed Expansion
    -Warlocks already have a lot of "Demon Hunter" rolled into them.

Professions:

Archaeology was added in Cataclysm and Cooking received a major facelift in Mists of Pandaria. There will likely be another new profession or a minor profession like Fishing or First Aid will receive a "Mastery" like Cooking did in Mists of Pandaria.

1. Woodcrafting/Woodcutter
    +This item could be a joke, but regardless: An item hinting at +15 Woodcrafting.
    +Could craft staves, wands, and bows. (filling gaps that other professions have just touched on)
    +If player housing is ever implemented, could craft furniture.
    +Could add a whole new gathering resource to the game.

Last edited by Potassiumgluconate; 2013-01-22 at 07:11 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    A quick note- Tol Barad IS currently used, the entirety of it, to be exact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

You use a lot of speculative words like "could" "maybe" for a post supposedly based on real evidence.
    Jsz
    <Losers Club> US-Alliance

d u m b c a s u a l s l u t

Quote Originally Posted by Raugnaut View Post
    A quick note- Tol Barad IS currently used, the entirety of it, to be exact.
    Whoops, thanks, I meant Kul Tiras

Quote Originally Posted by jsz View Post
    You use a lot of speculative words like "could" "maybe" for a post supposedly based on real evidence.
    Should I rephrase it to sound like I know exactly what it's going to be about?

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm betting on a Naga related expansion. The backstory would be Azshara betrays N'zoth and uses his power to start and destroy Azeroth. This would be a counter to Deathwing, as Deathwing was merely a tool of the Old Gods, Azshara would actually look threatening as she would have betrayed the ultimate betrayer.

To counteract the whole "scattered provinces", it could easily be said Azshara's new power influenced the seas, effectively raising islands from the ocean and they joined together to form a "continent". Tel Abim (monkey (hozen?) island), possibly Kul Tiras, the Tomb of Sargeras (further hint towards burning legion), maybe even a raised Zandalar Isle, all form together.

The reasoning behind this expansion is that a Burning Legion expansion is too soon. After MoP, the Horde and Alliance will probably be at some sort of peace. However, things would still be rough. This "army of light" is not ready, and needs time to prepare. This expansion would have Wrathion helping the players find a way to stop the Burning Legion, maybe with a message to the Titans (yo titans, we just kicked another Old God's ass. lets go fight the burning legion bros. hit us up), maybe a secret weapon, whatever.

I really expect them to add at least one non-hunter spec that uses ranged weapons at some point

Quote Originally Posted by chadiu View Post
    I'm betting on a Naga related expansion. The backstory would be Azshara betrays N'zoth and uses his power to start and destroy Azeroth. This would be a counter to Deathwing, as Deathwing was merely a tool of the Old Gods, Azshara would actually look threatening as she would have betrayed the ultimate betrayer.

To counteract the whole "scattered provinces", it could easily be said Azshara's new power influenced the seas, effectively raising islands from the ocean and they joined together to form a "continent". Tel Abim (monkey (hozen?) island), possibly Kul Tiras, the Tomb of Sargeras (further hint towards burning legion), maybe even a raised Zandalar Isle, all form together.

The reasoning behind this expansion is that a Burning Legion expansion is too soon. After MoP, the Horde and Alliance will probably be at some sort of peace. However, things would still be rough. This "army of light" is not ready, and needs time to prepare. This expansion would have Wrathion helping the players find a way to stop the Burning Legion, maybe with a message to the Titans (yo titans, we just kicked another Old God's ass. lets go fight the burning legion bros. hit us up), maybe a secret weapon, whatever.
    Can you list some evidence for and against these?

Quote Originally Posted by Potassiumgluconate View Post
    1. Outland Revamp
    (Or another Outland Continent)
    Evidence Against:
    -If the legion comes to Azeroth, a revamp of outland isn't needed.
    -It would be the first time an expansion was a remake of an expansion.

-The last time an expansion revolved around giving a facelift to old content, people largely ignored it.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Someone sticky this and name it "the official Expansion V speculation thread."

---------- Post added 2013-01-20 at 12:06 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by stumpy View Post
    -The last time an expansion revolved around giving a facelift to old content, people largely ignored it.[/color]
    Correction. "The last time an expansion revolved around giving a facelift to old content, people quit the game en masse."
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Updated the Revamp of Outland, and fixed the Kul Tiras typo. I was having a hell of a time editing it last night for some reason.

Deleted
    Revamps are almost always bad. Give Argus!

Deleted
    Requested for sticky!

Sounds good, but I have high hopes that it would be a Demon Hunter class, and if your theories are correct, then a Demon Hunter class would fit surprisingly well! It fits your idea that all classes can be it (since any one can hunt demons). It can match up with leather/mail. It would bring new mechanics and I "personally" think it would be the best time to add such a class, considering there is a 70% chance that the new race models will be ready for the next expansion. I can already imagine it, the races can have no chest armour, wings and OMFGWTFBBQFTW HORNS!!!
    \

I'm not really seeing why people want or think that Blizz would revamp Outland à la Cataclysm, last time they did that the end-game content suffered because of it and game started losing subs. I'd rather explore new planets and see new stuff.

Deleted
    All the zones are fine, there is ZERO reason to update them.

Quote Originally Posted by Raivosoturi View Post
    I'm not really seeing why people want or think that Blizz would revamp Outland à la Cataclysm, last time they did that the end-game content suffered because of it and game started losing subs. I'd rather explore new planets and see new stuff.
    Dungeon and Raid designers are seperated from quest and zone designers, Cataclysm's endgame didn't suffer because of the old world redesign, it suffered because Blizzard thought that shorter raids would be more refreshing since people complained you had to invest too much time into big raids, which backfired on them.

10+ Year Old Account
    The new class should use mail armor so we have 3 classes for each type, and use ranged weapons so hunters aren't the only ones to compete for those.
    A mail class using a bow or gun feels like hunter 2.0, but it'd be interesting if it could be tank or healer and wear shaman pieces.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raivosoturi View Post
    I want them to fix outland. But fixing outland means fixing the questflow to be more logical and less... vanilla-ish. It does not mean they rebuild the whole continent from the bottom-up.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    Correction. "The last time an expansion revolved around giving a facelift to old content, people quit the game en masse."
    only after realizing that end game is the ONLY thing players care about. and with MoP and now complaints of TOO MUCH end game to do well probably see a pull back(hope not but who knows). id be for a theme revolving around n'zoth and the naga seeing that he and Azarah are heavily mentioned and pointed to in CATA but we never we them. as for the content revamp again its only thought of as a flop since its not a a journey to see the world and explore it, its a race to max level. ALL the in between is the "grind" to get to that point of either raiding or max lvl PvP, is this the games fault or players fault? idk, exactly but I'D like to see outland get revamped. to go there after doing Cata quests is like shoving bamboo under my fingernails.

---------- Post added 2013-01-20 at 10:36 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Siggma View Post
    All the zones are fine, there is ZERO reason to update them.
    now how about that questing?

I don't think we'll see a Burning Legion based expansion anytime soon.

I recall people thinking we'd see a Deathwing based expansion because we heard of him in The Burning Crusade, when doing the Netherwing Dailies, Sinestra lands to claim eggs for Deathwing.