Thread: Audio Card

10+ Year Old Account

Audio Card

I'm going to be getting some money soon, which in turn lets me spend a little without too much guilt.

I've heard that dedicated audio cards are vastly different from onboard sound. I'm no audiophile by any means, but I'm curious just how much better my sound would be with one.

Current sound system is onboard sound with an MSI Z77A-G41 using a Realtek ALC887. This paired with cheapie Logitech Z110. Get your laughs out now.

My headset for gaming and late night sound is a Koss SB-45

I'm currently happy with my sound setup, and have no need to upgrade really. I'd get a bigger/better sound system, however my girlfriend already has a 2.1 system and we've gotten a couple noise complaints from the neighbors. Thin walls, I guess? Then again, she needs to stop watching Glee at 2am. srsly. stop.

That all said, I've heard good things about Xonar cards for the 'lower end' but the 'lower end' from what I've seen usually starts around $100 and the mid range is about $300. I really have no intention of spending more than $50 on a sound card that may not even sound different to me (This is the same guy who can't tell between TN and IPS panels).

Any thoughts on the Xonar DG? Or is it the DX that is the only low end worth getting?

I'd honestly rather spend less, and if it takes more than $50 to get something good, I'd really rather not get anything at all.

Deleted
    perhaps a 2nd hand creative soundblaster + http://www.amazon.com/Takstar-Monito.../dp/B009PIQUB6 + clip on mic is an option?
    however with a $50 budget im guessing saving it for later is a better choice. (doubt a sound card would improve your current headset by anything worthwhile)

also i got that exact same 2.1 set at work in the basement and the floor above me can listen allong very easy (might also be due to metal/rock music but hey who cares)

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm honestly pretty happy with my headphones (and due to a derpy situation, have 3 more, unopened, in the closet). I was just curious if getting an audio card would provide any realistic benefit.

Deleted
    Nowadays onboard chips are great. The ALC887 has 7.1 by default afaik, so no need to upgrade for multichannel.

I'd stick to the onboard if you're not willing to spend more then 100 euros.
    I even dare to say that the current onboards are sufficient for everything you like unless you going into musicproduction where you want to work on atleast 24/44 or probably even higher.
    It's safe to say that 16/44 or 16/48 (resp CD/DVD quality) is what you are aiming for game-sound and music-listening, and any onboard card can output this atm.
    I think its also safe to say you wont hear a difference between your onboard and any soundcard < 100 euro's

No, don't expect major improvements at all... some clarity and dynamic range perhaps, but not much.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I'm honestly pretty happy with my headphones (and due to a derpy situation, have 3 more, unopened, in the closet). I was just curious if getting an audio card would provide any realistic benefit.
    Not with headphones that cheap. If you'd use 150-200 USD headphones there would be definite improvement from Xonar DG.

I used Koss SB-45 for a while too, it's best thing you can get in that pricerange in sound quality so no dissing it
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

With your current headphones and speakers I don't think you will notice any difference at all.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450