I want to get back into WoW but it just feels so daunting :( what can I do?

I've gone through periods over the years of serious raiding, pushing for realm firsts and then burning out...most of us have been there.

Sadly the killer for me last year was getting a girlfriend and the horrible raid which was Dragon Soul which I just despised, so I took a break from the game.

I've been semi following what blizz have been doing with MoP and tbh I like the ideas they are going with, the raids seem good, they are literally throwing a ton of content at us which is great and now that me and my ex have split I'd like to get back into things with WoW....however.

The prospect of even coming back in the short term as a casual just feels so daunting and I'm not sure how to approach it, the sheer number of dailys that need to be grinded through in order to gain the reps for some gear upgrades and also mounts (which is one of the things about WoW I've always loved) is just way to overwhelming.

Not only am I so far behind from the dailys from the initial MoP release but they released the last patch with even more dailys and the next patch is going to include even more! Don't get me wrong this is not one of those posts moaning about daily's but having came into the expansion late it just feels too much for me to deal with and I'm not sure where to start. I try to do a few dailys but I find the long grind ahead so intimidating I lose motivation to continue.

PVP has never appealed to me so all I feel I can do is do the LFR every week and hope for some gear drops and beyond that I'm lost.

Can anybody give me any tips on how to get back into the game without feeling demotivated, the types of guilds I like to be part of more or less make doing these dailys manditory as they push hard for progress.

Deleted
    honestly, you should not fear dailies that much. Some of the fractions can be raised to revered while leveling so you'll be able to buy gear right away. Doing dailies shouldnt scare you so much, you can pick one fraction which offers the best gear for you and do dailies for that fraction only, and you'll be revered before you even have valor points to buy a piece of gear. Repeat with every other and in no time you'll be able to buy all the valor gear.

Ofc if you dont wanna do them at all, go to heroics and then hit lfr, but that's a lot harder way IMO cause it's luck dependant.

The Patient AnotherInternetOpinion's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Play SWTOR
    PS grats on the single life
    Last edited by AnotherInternetOpinion; 2013-01-20 at 12:21 PM.

Progress is over for the majority of guilds, and any guilds still progressing shouldn't be mandating dailies. My suggestion is to stop thinking about the big picture: just focus on enjoying the game. Do a few dailies each day, 1-2 hubs or so. Getting to revered (the only 'requirement', since all VP gear is available at revered) is pretty simple. Exalted takes a lot longer, but that's simply not necessary.

But yeah, the main thing is to just stop thinking of dailies as a 'need'. Do them when you feel like it, and if you don't? No big deal. Plenty of other options to get gear. Take each day as it comes, do what you feel like doing, and you'll get where you need to be in your own time.

5.2 will be released in March, roughly speaking, and that'll make a lot of the older content redundant. So you could always just be casual for now, get what you can, then in 5.2 start afresh with the new reputation, new dailies, new raid, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by fragga View Post
    The prospect of even coming back in the short term as a casual just feels so daunting and I'm not sure how to approach it

the types of guilds I like to be part of more or less make doing these dailys manditory as they push hard for progress.
    Here's your problem. If you're only interested in being a casual, why join a hardcore guild?

My advice is to ignore any faction you're not interested in. If you're only running LFR, you don't need the rep gear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AnotherInternetOpinion View Post
    Play SWTOR
    PS grats on the single life
    No don't play SWTOR, it has most horrible F2p system one of the worst ever made and i hope they even lose more people, and the game failed as a MMO

Just ignore the dailys they aren't much needed for gear or anything just achie and mounts or w/e u want, and do HC dungeons then LFR then ur fine, and do world bosses =)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post
    Progress is over for the majority of guilds, and any guilds still progressing shouldn't be mandating dailies..
    Soooooo majority of the guilds have killed sha on heroic? I'd like to see where the fuck you get that crazy idea from.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post
    Progress is over for the majority of guilds
    Number of guilds who have killed NORMAL Will of the Emperor: 22624 (60.15%)
    Number of guilds who have killed NORMAL Grand Empress Shek'zeer: 10094 (26.84%)
    Number of guilds who have killed NORMAL Sha of Fear: 9158 (24.35%)

Number of guilds who have killed HEROIC Will of the Emperor: 2531 (6.73%)
    Number of guilds who have killed HEROIC Grand Empress Shek'zeer: 617 (1.64%)
    Number of guilds who have killed HEROIC Sha of Fear: 210 (0.56%)

How is 0.56% of guilds, the "majority"?

Or even better, how is 24.35% of guilds who have killed Sha of Fear on normal, the majority? And that's just the numbers of people interested in rankings. I'm pretty sure that the "majority" update their standings with each new boss dead.

Don't pull facts out of thin air when people can prove you wrong with a search that takes less time than it did to actually post the information.

Source.
    Last edited by razski; 2013-01-20 at 12:52 PM.