Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Viscoe View Post
    Now tell me it's all just habit and training. I've had many dogs, and they all exhibit sadness and fondness. I have no doubt in my mind that that shepard missed his owner and hung out in the places he used to see her. And yeah, he probably stays around the church because he has food and shelter, but I'm convinced that he wants to know where his master has gone.
    This dog knows where Maria went. He was at the ceremony, accompanied the coffin, was in the church and everything...
    I don't think he wants the know where she went... I'm pretty sure he knows that already.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    This dog knows where Maria went. He was at the ceremony, accompanied the coffin, was in the church and everything...
    I don't think he wants the know where she went... I'm pretty sure he knows that already.
    I don't think he understands that she died. I think he saw his human doing weird human shit and is waiting for her to come back to him.
    Pokemon FC: 5112-3501-2407 Trainer: Oli FS: Viscoe - Farfetch'd/Hoothoot/Rufflet - Currently Full, DO NOT ADD
    Secondary 3DS: 3668-8923-2263 FS: Slider - Phanpy/Camerupt/Diggersby

I don't think he understands that she died. I think he saw his human doing weird human shit and is waiting for her to come back to him.
    The moment a person dies, everything about them changes. Subtly, but still. The way they feel, the way they smell. There's no way the dog wouldn't have noticed her being dead. He was there, after all.

Let's say the dog don't understand the meaning of death, can't it still feel sad & lonely? Just like a child being told their mother or father has "gone away", the child doesn't quite understand; but the child will miss the parent.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Deleted
    My grandparents had two dogs. A jack russell/daschund cross and a border collie. When the border collie died, you could see the jack russell visibly saddened. You could even say he mourned her for days. When you've lived with the same animals for long enough you can see when they're upset, and he was most definitely upset.
    To say animals are stupid is, well, stupid. Christ judging by some of the people in lfd i could hold a more intelligent conversation with a dog than them.

Hachiko 2.0?

Quote Originally Posted by Tokru View Post
    I only would them call not stupid, if the dogs would not do that. All those examples show, that they are things without own will who stick to long engrained habits. The one person they were trained to love is not more and they can't think of something else to do. Their purpose is invalid but they are still alive. Is it just me, or does this look like the exact opposite of not stupid?

A cat wouldn't have done something like that.

Therefore cats > dogs.
    Good thing my dog eats cats.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
    I got a bit teary-eyed. Think I need to go hug my dog now.
    Aye, for sure! I can just see in that picture, the dog is mourning, that's for sure, no doubt about it.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

always chokes me up

Deleted
    I read this story a day or so ago, and it's still touching. Even if it is just an ingrained response to hearing the bells and seeing/heaing people going to church, it's still sweet.

A lot of animals are far more intelligent than we usually give them credit for - people just assume they are dumb, emotionless creatures without free will because they usually can't express more complex thoughts without spoken or written language.

Here is a great example of a dog that I once saw on the German TV-show "Wetten dass" myself in a best-of-episode (best of 20 years, and Rico won).

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=1952976

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TequilaFlavor View Post
    Here is a great example of a dog that I once saw on the German TV-show "Wetten dass" myself in a best-of-episode (best of 20 years, and Rico won).

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=1952976
    I've watched it. Rico is amazing. Border Collies are generally considered the most intelligent race amongst dogs. But he still blows it out of the ball park.

I have a German Shepherd myself. I absolutely adore him. I'm living with my parents right now, because I'm preparing to move to Florida to be with my husband (Navy). My dog 'squeals', literally. When he hears me driving up the road, doesn't do it for anyone else :P He's always sitting and waiting for me at the gate. He's also not the licking type, but he'll lick me if he hasn't seen me.

He also has a bad habit of parking himself in front of me until I pet him. I've tripped over him several times, love him anyway.

Its cute but then you have to realize its just a routine the dog was used to, likely returns there out of habit and thinking there is some special meaning to it that has to be done, learnt behavior...
    And fuck it, im being a spoilsport, it is heart warming.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninaran View Post
    The question remains though. Does he go there every day because he used to do that every day anyways and he gets pet, fed and shelter there, or because he thinks "Master used to go there all the time. Honor his memory even through death"?
    Unfortunately don't think we'll know. Until we find a way to communicate with animals, and I mean actual communication, we'll never know.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    http://www.worldcrunch.com/culture-s.../#.UPwIgWfheSo

It always puzzles me to see all kinds of obviously uneducated postings from people, who have never spent any (or at least not enough) time to find out what animals are capable of..
    Granted... Almost all animals, including our domesticated ones are instinctive. Well, so we are. We humans aren't that superior in that regard. All animals have intelligence. The state of development varies, But it is safe to say that all our domesticated animals have a fairly high progressed intelligence. Hence why we domesticated them in the first place.
    It would also seem, that IF neither Dog or Cat had significant amounts of intelligence, that this would make US look extremely stupid.
    Even more so ancient cultures, where both have been worshiped.
    wow, that's really interesting, thanks for sharing. To be honest I think the animals do feel something, not sure what, but they do.
    For example, there was a time once when I was in a depression. That's years ago, it passed, but anyway, I had my cat, and she used to sit on my lap, but she never liked to sit on me while I was in bed. Yet when I fell in this depression I had some times when I stood in bed and cried. Because that's how I felt. And I don't know how, she heard me, and she came to me, and "massaged" me with her claws. I didn't teach her this, and she didn't like to stay on bed... yet she came for me when i was alone. And this makes me think that animals do feel and think. Maybe not as complex as humans, but they do.

Deleted
    Why is the dog just left as a stray?

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    They aren't? This dog didn't even hear the shot that his master is dead and keeps repeating the same thing over and over again, for nothing.

Animals are stupid for the most part, but some are very loyal. That's the real thing about animals that fascinates me... loyalty.
    If you think that animals are just stupid I can assure you, that you are totally wrong. Believe me, animals can learn and they can feel similar emotions like humans. I have a cat at home and he learned by himself to open doors and other stuff. I have teach him a lot of stuff and tricks and I know when he is sad or angry as he knows for me. When I don't feel good he lies beside me and when I'm cold he lies beside me to warm me up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Numeanor View Post
    If you think that animals are just stupid I can assure you, that you are totally wrong. Believe me, animals can learn and they can feel similar emotions like humans. I have a cat at home and he learned by himself to open doors and other stuff. I have teach him a lot of stuff and tricks and I know when he is sad or angry as he knows for me. When I don't feel good he lies beside me and when I'm cold he lies beside me to warm me up.
    Have you been able to teach your dog what death is? I have a cat that acts like a dog, from playing catch to 'barking' at other animals outside. Was found in a forest as a baby, the most bad ass cat ever... Can't tell him to act like a cat... Flips the world off for telling him to act like a cat, totally Punk!! Maybe I'm just misinterpreting cat behavior by rationalizing it as being that of a dog. You can't judge an animal's behavior on the basis of human interaction.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    They aren't? This dog didn't even hear the shot that his master is dead and keeps repeating the same thing over and over again, for nothing.

Animals are stupid for the most part, but some are very loyal. That's the real thing about animals that fascinates me... loyalty.
    Animals arent really that stupid, they just dont have the same ego which makes a difference, also a lot of their behaviors are out of need, check lion man.
    Intelligence is no where near ours (or maybe we arent intelligent enough to understand them, or a mix of both) but they are still intelligent in many aspects, living with several animals you start to realize that.

About the loyalty part, to me that is however something i dont really "appreciate" as much and cant call it loyalty.
    Loyalty is to make a choice and to stand for something no matter what, dogs are pack animals they will be loyal naturally, dont think it stems from choice so... by definition is not loyalty.

One of the reasons i much prefer cats to dogs, a cat is more of a friend, you have to respect its boundaries just as with a human, a dog you can kick him and he still "loves" you... cant appreciate that.

But ofc, to each his own

Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    Have you been able to teach your dog what death is? I have a cat that acts like a dog, from playing catch to 'barking' at other animals outside. Was found in a forest as a baby, the most bad ass cat ever... Can't tell him to act like a cat... Flips the world off for telling him to act like a cat, totally Punk!! Maybe I'm just misinterpreting cat behavior by rationalizing it as being that of a dog. You can't judge an animal's behavior on the basis of human interaction.
    I got a cat just like that; she loves to play fetch, she carries the mail in her mouth when it arrives & she can do tricks like a baws.

---------- Post added 2013-01-20 at 11:18 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kurioxan View Post
    a dog you can kick him and he still "loves" you... cant appreciate that.
    I don't think so...
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance