Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Parental Financial Help in College Lowers GPA

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/s...e-gpa-18219523

A recent study that will be published in the American Sociology Review shows that parents who help pay for college will lower their children's GPA.

Would you still financially help your kids (or future kids) through college knowing this?

My wife and I out away 50 a month in an account for our son he will get at 18 he can use it as he pleases. He can get a car, college or spend in on coke and hookers but we want to do it for him because no one did anything like that for us.

Hamilton said the findings don't suggest parents should stop supporting students financially, especially considering there is a larger positive effect on graduation rates than the negative effect on GPA.
    Not to mention the soul crushing debt they'd incur for a possible small GPA gain.

I'm wildly unsurprised by this. I've thought for a long time that people appreciate things more when they pay for those things, and I see no reason to believe college would be any different.

I do not have any intention of having kids, but if I do, they can pay for college on their own the same way I did.

My parents helping out with my college funding actually inspires me to try harder because I don't want their money to go to waste. I think these kinds of studies are a bit silly. Not everybody is the same. I don't plan on having children, but if I did, I'd feel responsible for helping them get off on the right foot in the world.

I can say in my case that had my parents not helped me the bit that they did, that my GPA would have suffered. I slept very little already. If I needed to work longer hours, either my grades would have suffered or I would have chosen an easier major.

Deleted
    If this didn't account for scolarships then the study is completely worthless. Obviously those who are able to secure scolarships will be more competent (and recieve much less parental help) than those who are sent to college on parents' dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    If this didn't account for scolarships then the study is completely worthless. Obviously those who are able to secure scolarships will be more competent (and recieve much less parental help) than those who are sent to college on parents' dime.
    Good catch. That'd be a huge bit of selective sampling.

10+ Year Old Account
    think of it like this

with out parental help

most would not be in college

Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    I assumed that they controlled for that because they said this: "the effect is steepest at families earning over $90,000. At that level, and controlling for other factors, parents not giving their children any aid predicts a GPA of 3.15. At $16,000 in aid, GPA drops under 3.0. At $40,000, it hits 2.95."

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    think of it like this

with out parental help

most would not be in college
    If I were paying for my kid's college and he didn't get good grades I'd think I wasted my money.

Seems like it's just a correlation without any causation. Besides, for all we know, such a minute difference could be due to professors feeling sorry for students who have to pay for their college all by themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    Seems like it's just a correlation without any causation. Besides, for all we know, such a minute difference could be due to professors feeling sorry for students who have to pay for their college all by themselves.
    Well people do generally take better care of things they pay for themselves. When your parents got you your first car, chances are pretty good you beat the shit out of it. When you BOUGHT your first car you probably went nuts the first time it was dinged in a grocery store lot.

I imagine college would be no different.

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    I imagine college would be no different.
    It's not any different. I haven't met a single coed who works at least part-time and doesn't have a GPA better than most of their peers. Almost everyone I know with a 3.2+ GPA works or has recently worked to help pay for their education.

Quote Originally Posted by AnteroXX View Post
    This is what capitalism does to your brain. You care so much about green paper that you would rather hoard more of it for a new car or whatever instead of giving your children a chance in this world
    If a kid isn't willing to put forth the effort to at least get B's in an academic world where teachers inflate grades, why does he or she deserve money?

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixC13 View Post
    My wife and I out away 50 a month in an account for our son he will get at 18 he can use it as he pleases. He can get a car, college or spend in on coke and hookers but we want to do it for him because no one did anything like that for us.
    I vote option C. Your boy will make you proud.

Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    If a kid isn't willing to put forth the effort to at least get B's in an academic world where teachers inflate grades, why does he or she deserve money?
    You can graduate with C's and at the end of the day you are exactly the same as the next asian who graduated with A's. College and University are all about getting your damn diploma paper and making connections with people who are potential business. I assume you must still be in high school to think grades are relevant to success or happiness or whatever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Good catch. That'd be a huge bit of selective sampling.
    I know that if I didn't have scholarship requirements, I wouldn't have cared at all about my gen-eds beyond getting through them; pushed for As in every one due to finances.

This is what capitalism does to your brain. You care so much about green paper that you would rather hoard more of it for a new car or whatever instead of giving your children a chance in this world
    Capitalism - so evil that it causes parents to instill a work ethic in their kids instead of a sense of entitlement.

---------- Post added 2013-01-20 at 02:26 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    I know that if I didn't have scholarship requirements, I wouldn't have cared at all about my gen-eds beyond getting through them; pushed for As in every one due to finances.
    The only two things I was concerned with were making sure my GPA was high enough for grad school and high enough to graduate with honors. I associated (and still associate) not having that honors tassel as a sign of laziness or stupidity, and I probably felt a lot more strong about it back when I was graduating undergrad.

---------- Post added 2013-01-20 at 02:27 PM ----------

You can graduate with C's and at the end of the day you are exactly the same as the next asian who graduated with A's. College and University are all about getting your damn diploma paper and making connections with people who are potential business. I assume you must still be in high school to think grades are relevant to success or happiness or whatever.
    There's no one getting into any decent graduate program with a 2.0 GPA. Good work with the subtle racism though!

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixC13 View Post
    I'd suggest giving him some limit. Would you want him to waste the money? Just saying...

As for the article? It makes total sense yes, but the part at the end where even parents think their kids should go party hard in college, is just pathetic.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water