Should I keep healing on my monk?

My raid team recently lost our Holy pally. Our healing crew was a Disc priest, Hpally, and me(MW monk). Most the fights we have been 2 healing with me and the pally taking turns dpsing. With our pally retiring we have taken in a shaman to fill his spot. I also have a 90 pally that I could gear fairly quickly to replace my monk. I was wondering what ya'll think would better suit the raid core below;

Tank:
    Warrior
    Pally

DPS:
    Warlock
    Mage x 2
    Hunter x 2
    Rogue
    Boomkin
    Enhance Shaman
    Fury Warrior

Heals:
    Monk
    Disc Priest
    Shaman

We have a large core to pull from for specific fights and we are currently 10/16H pushing Ambershaper currently.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...k%C3%A6/simple

Here is my monk's armory as well.

I feel like for 10 mans Paladins are stronger than Mistweavers, but I don't know for sure.

Deleted
    Hang on until the 5.2 ptr is finalized, I don't think they've been working much on Mistweavers at the moment

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dumbfoundead View Post
    Hang on until the 5.2 ptr is finalized, I don't think they've been working much on Mistweavers at the moment
    Doesn't look like they will change much for 5.2. The patch notes are of course not finalized but, would have expected them to mention any major changes to the Mistweaver by now if they were planning on making any.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would stick with your monk. Looks like your raid is set for cooldowns, just get in there and push the throughput.

(in 5.2 our ST is getting a bit of a bump with chi wave (assuming PTR changes as of now go live, which they won't))
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also, check the PTR notes, Disc (and I'm pretty sure Hpal) are getting nerfed

Quote Originally Posted by RunItsTheFuz View Post
    Also, check the PTR notes, Disc (and I'm pretty sure Hpal) are getting nerfed
    Disc is getting nerfed, but as of right now, Holy Pallies are completely unchanged (for PvE. They have some PvP nerfs)

Thanks for the input guys. I enjoy playing both classes and I'm currently gearing my pally pretty fast in our farm runs. I think I'll ultimately play a switch hitter depending on the fight and when 5.2 comes out we'll be ready either way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Having 2 for 5.2 is a good idea, we've still only seen a few fights and no one is sure quite yet if the zone is going to be spread or stacked heavy

Unless they're nerfed (which they are not being, they're even getting very minor buffs if patch notes are to be believed and the EF change isn't prot-exclusive), hpallies are a lot stronger than monks in 10m, both in terms of raw hps and in terms of raid utility, and the incoming disc priest nerfs (if left unchanged) will leave hpallies the kings of 10-mans, even if SS will always give disc a huge raid-saving ability on almost no cooldown.

Monks have some advantages of hpallies, like the ability to contribute meaningful dps while healing, and the ability to out-preform pallies on fights with significant damage buffs with eminence, and they also have stronger *focused* single-target healing, even if I'd say that hpallies are better tank healers in 10m simply because of the power of beacon and EF.

From both personal experience, and from looking at the logs, hpallies are a lot stronger pure healers than mistweavers these days. Hard to factor in the relative contribution that the added mistweaver dps brings (a really underestimated strength, if you ask me), though, and the upcoming changes will buff mistweavers a little bit, so they may be more equal than just a straight-up HPS comparison may give the impression that they are, but hpallies will still bring much stronger utility in the form of their hands, sometimes trivializing aspects of encounters almost as hard as SS does; the ability to remove almost any physical debuff with HoP twice in a fight is just stupidly good in 10m, and hand of salvation/freedom/sacrifice aren't exactly something to scoff at either. Monks don't really have anything that can measure up to that.

The reason I'll stick with my hpally instead of going monk is the utility of the hands, the stronger hps, and the freedom that beacon brings to you as a healer; allowing you to almost ignore the tank on most fights with high tank damage, and letting you, with little effort, keep alive other high-priority targets (like kiters on garalon, wind steps on blade lord, etc; or just low health people in general, moving beacon around is free of cost and GCD wth the glyph) on fights where the tanks don't really need it.

I also don't like that a lot of the monk healing has quite a bit of set-up time (even if it's sometimes just seconds; when you want to heal somebody now, taking a second to start channeling soothing may be a second too much, and while healing spheres are extrmely strong they're hard to use the vast majority of the time), while the only set-up time that hpallies have is building holy power, which doesn't require a lot of forethought, and you can always bank 4-5 of it if you know something important is coming up.

I really like the added dps that a monk brings, but unless you're on a weird fight like sha of fear, or some other fight where you only really bring more than one healer because of the fights mechanics making less than one unfeasible, or you're going through content that can't be healed with 1/2 healer(s) but doesn't need 2/3 fully dedicated healers, I think the straight-up stronger HPS of the hpally is just a better choice.

Unless throne features tons of fights that cater to the monks strengths and/or marginalizing the strengths of paladins, I don't expect monks to be better healers anytime soon.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

It should be noted that the "raw throughput" that MW bring far outshines any other healer.
    The application, esp. in 10m however, is severely lacking. Like trying to perform open heart surgery with a sledgehammer.

My healing comp is disc priest/shaman/monk and our biggest strength is the disc priest and I can dps together as much as an extra dps.. plus obviously strong aoe.

In the end, I don't think it matters, just play the one you like.. as long as you have one paladin in you raid, the utility they bring should be covered.
    Karuzo | Drainlife, US-Arthas
    Mistweaver Monk - armory - twitter - raider.io - twitch

Quote Originally Posted by gnorrior View Post
    It should be noted that the "raw throughput" that MW bring far outshines any other healer.
    The application, esp. in 10m however, is severely lacking. Like trying to perform open heart surgery with a sledgehammer.
    This is true, but, like you say, it's very impractical to use, unlike hpally healing.

Another downside I forgot, but that may be a big problem depending on your set-up, is that monks are melee healers who should spend most of the time in melee. My set-up runs with 4-5 melee already (don't ask why, just let me tell you that it is a real bitch to deal with a lot of the time), which doesn't leave a lot of room for a monk to join them in the fray.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

It goes both ways, if theres a lot of ranged then having a healer which gets to ignore many mechanics and stand in melee is a HUGE plus. Comp-dependent, yes, but it can't be called a con.

Also, impractical to use yes, but it has the ability to save wipes occasionally just because of the raw healing ability to pick everyone up at the same time. But a large part of MW play is learning to get around the ridiculous handicaps of the spec to make use of the ridiculous throughput to heal certain people.
    Last edited by Astraios; 2013-01-21 at 05:45 PM.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gnorrior View Post
    It goes both ways, if theres a lot of ranged then having a healer which gets to ignore many mechanics and stand in melee is a HUGE plus. Comp-dependent, yes, but it can't be called a con.
    Exactly. Sounds like your raid comp is a con, not the monk.

5.2 does seem to be a buff for MWs in 10mans, so you might want to wait and see how much that affects us.
    but I think any combination of disc/pally/monk will do fine. (allthough again: wait for 5.2 disc nerfs might be quite bad, dunno exactly)

Quote Originally Posted by jeks1987 View Post
    Thanks for the input guys. I enjoy playing both classes and I'm currently gearing my pally pretty fast in our farm runs. I think I'll ultimately play a switch hitter depending on the fight and when 5.2 comes out we'll be ready either way.
    I was going to suggest exactly this. Generally speaking monks are a bit weak in a 10 man setting, but there are definitely fights where we excel. HPally though is currently really strong and given you are trying to progress through Heroics, the HPally is probably going to be more desirable for getting those first few kills. But I would only suggest the switch hitter if you are comfortable with it because you might find yourself getting stuck always playing the pally.

Deleted
    OP - One thing I was thinking, which one do you enjoy to play the most? Cause I think that's important.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuubi87 View Post
    OP - One thing I was thinking, which one do you enjoy to play the most? Cause I think that's important.
    This should be the only thing that affects how you decide.

Volunteering to change your class does nothing but split your experience over multiple characters. Should you ever need to apply for another guild you're going to need to show you have experience with the class you're applying with which means that you're going to have to go into why you switched, etc.

Theres nothing wrong with playing multiple healers, I can play multiple at a relatively high level, at least comparing to my time investment in my alts. Once you play something enough it's muscle memory after all. And frankly after optimizing my monk's healing on most fights, every other healer comes easily. 15s in advance prediction of a 4s burst healing window? Yeah, other healers press one or two buttons to prepare for burst, it's a joke tbh.