Page 1 of 13
... LastLast

Why do people eat baby cows and call it veal?

Is it because if you was to call it by what it is, which is baby cow it would turn alot of people off?
    is the reason they call it veal so people dont feel bad about killing baby cows?

i have never tried veal and think its evil to kill baby animals to eat.

Bob veal is calves that are slaughtered when only a few days old (at most 1 month old) up to 60 lb.[2]
    Now that is evil and i dont understand why people do it.
    why not just wait till its older before you kill it for food?

do you guys eat veal?
    and how do you feel about this

10+ Year Old Account
    Adult cow is called beef. I don't see the difference. Just culinary terms.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Trolling will result in the loss of your forum posting privileges, and the removal of your genitals with my teeth while I hum Oasis songs.

I didn't know what veal was, so I googled it. In Dutch it's called kalfsvlees, which literally translates back to calfsmeat.
    It's yummy

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by superstarz View Post
    Is it because if you was to call it by what it is, which is baby cow it would turn alot of people off?
    is the reason they call it veal so people dont feel bad about killing baby cows?

i have never tried veal and think its evil to kill baby animals to eat.

Bob veal is calves that are slaughtered when only a few days old (at most 1 month old) up to 60 lb.[2]
    Now that is evil and i dont understand why people do it.
    why not just wait till its older before you kill it for food?

do you guys eat veal?
    and how do you feel about this
    It's called veal because that's what it's called. The same way beef refers to old cows.

How is it any different killing a baby to an adult? You're still taking it's life for the purposes of eating it.

I have absolutely no problems with eating a cow (of any age) as long as it is housed and killed humanely and doesn't suffer. Even then I'm not sure that I'd care as long as it tasted yummy.

Why do we call pig meat pork? They are just terms.

Shouldn't you be more worried about people eating eggs? At least Veal got to live for a little while right?!

If you believe in a God of some sort, religion tells us that animals were given to humans for our use.

If you believe in evolution... they should have tried harder millions of years ago

Deleted
    No one cares what its called. We (fellow meat eaters) munch on it becuase its more tender being a "baby cow". Waiting has no purpose unless the farmer wants more to sell. That being said i believe veal is more expensive, but anyway why wait? they are animals raised to be eaten, they are not going to cure cancer if we let them live longer for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Holycloud View Post
    Why do we call pig meat pork? They are just terms.

Shouldn't you be more worried about people eatting eggs? At least Veal got to live for a little while right?!
    do you think people would be eating veal(baby cows) if you had to kill it yourself before you eat?
    i admit i eat meat too i love it.
    but i just wont touch veal due to the fact of what it is

Deleted
    Because those calves that are killed are bull calves born from dairy farms. Since males are biologically unable to produce milk, and it's expensive to maintain and feed, and the space could be better taken up with females, so they're culled. It's like male chicks. No eggs, so killed shortly after hatching. It's not preference, it's just cold hard business sense.

I do eat lamb, but have never tried veal. But if offered it I would eat it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Etymology:

veal (n.) late 14c., from Anglo-French vel, from Old French veel "a calf" (French veau)

Because baby cows are god damn delicious. Love the stuff.

do you think people would be eating veal(baby cows) if you had to kill it yourself before you eat?
    i admit i eat meat too i love it.
    but i just wont touch veal due to the fact of what it is
    Do you think less people would eat veggies if they had to grow them themselves? That would be terrible.

Its not hard to kill an animal, some times they even do it themselves by running into our cars.

Deleted
    All the food-threads!

Culinary term.
    But yeah. I eat Veal, and it tastes amazing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubbaducky View Post
    Because those calves that are killed are bull calves born from dairy farms. Since males are biologically unable to produce milk, and it's expensive to maintain and feed, and the space could be better taken up with females, so they're culled. It's like male chicks. No eggs, so killed shortly after hatching. It's not preference, it's just cold hard business sense.
    If there was more people eating veal, then more calves would be kept alive for longer to have as food instead of killed at birth. So I really wouldn't call it evil. Eat more veal, and add life to a cow!

Edit: On Countryfile (TV program) - "A few months ago on Countryfile, John Craven, reported on efforts to stop newborn male dairy calves being shot at birth – because they cost too much to rear for beef. One solution was to use them for veal"
    Last edited by GoldFish; 2013-01-20 at 11:37 PM.

It tastes different, so they have different terms for it. Kind of like all the different "cuts" of steak you can make.

Deleted
    you need context for this question. If i had to kill it myself i would assume i had no supermarkets/shops to buy my meat pre packaged, in which case i can assume its a apocalyptic world and i had to go hunting, in which case yes id gut it.

Hope that answerd your question!

10+ Year Old Account
    People would still eat it no matter what you call it, because they like it. Personally, I have never had it that I know of. Not against it, just no desire.

What does that cow have to look forward to? Eating grass?
    I like sandwiches

Deleted
    Never tried veal as it's a baby

Kinda disturbing to kill a baby even though it's a cow baby!

it tastes different than beef, much milder. i dont really mind that its from baby cows.
    i love eating baby octopus and baby sheep and baby chickens and baby fish /shrug.

---------- Post added 2013-01-20 at 03:33 PM ----------

oh yes, i eat food ive killed myself, no problem. nice and fresh.

I eat veal because it's delicious. Cows are going to die at some point, so we may as well kill them early so they don't have to risk living in those shitty packed cow factories.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why do they call it veal? Because that is what it is called.

Why do people eat baby cows? Because (I assume) it tastes good.

Thread over.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8