Quote Originally Posted by Megaira View Post
    Yeah I learned that from the last couple years. I made the mistake to jump onto the hype bandwaggon a lot. First was AION which turned out to be pretty crappy compared to the hype that was created. The following years had lots of MMOs thst got hyped so much but turned out to be kinda bad (SWTOR, Rift, AION, GW2).

So for TESO I kinda expext the worst so that the dissapointment isn't that big if it flops. Works well
    I don't think so those game are really doing their part in the mmo market, is peoples that consider a fail any game that has less sub/user than wow, eve for example has 400k subs active and still there since may 2003, it's only a fraction of wow subs but they keep going with a good playerbase.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bufferunderrun View Post
    I don't think so those game are really doing their part in the mmo market, is peoples that consider a fail any game that has less sub/user than wow, eve for example has 400k subs active and still there since may 2003, it's only a fraction of wow subs but they keep going with a good playerbase.
    That's OT and to be honest pretty subjective. Some guys still like to play AION and the other new MMOs but they prolly did not hype the games a lot.

If a WoW-killer MMO goes FTP then it was hyped too much for what it was worth.

I'd like to see the 2nd war between the Aldmeri Dominion & the Imperials be a part of this game. That would also give a reason to split races up into 2 factions if they are going to do that.
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

Quote Originally Posted by tielknight View Post
    I'd like to see the 2nd war between the Aldmeri Dominion & the Imperials be a part of this game. That would also give a reason to split races up into 2 factions if they are going to do that.
    from my understanding, they are going 3 factions. Skyrim for 1, Hammerfell for 1, and I think Morrowind for another.

Well I personally think that after so many years of MMO's being hyped up to the millionth degree followed by an incredible let down, you can't really hype anyone up as easy anymore. I don't think that developers should even bother by getting into "This is the WoW-killer" and "This is totally new and fresh" because it falls on deaf ears at this point. No one believes it. Just talk about the facts of your game.

Being an Elder Scrolls game, I can say that there's already a guaranteed 2 million opening day box sales for them, but I, like many others, won't get my hopes up and play the game with an open mind and no expectations.

I hope it's wildly successful, but I thought GW2 was going to be as well and I barely play it. My last two hopes are ESO and EQ3!!!!!!

@GamerLCD: There's some discrepancy with your post and what is stated on http://tamrielfoundry.com/development-faq/

Crafting, alchemy, and soul stones will all exist in the MMO. (GI1)
    Crafting will play an important role in optimizing the players equipment. Items that drop within the world can be augmented and upgraded by a player crafter. Therefore, the economic and mechanical importance of crafting will remain relevant even at endgame. (TF1)
    ZOS wants to preserve a high degree of interactivity within the world, so crafting, hunting, and gathering resources will be important features of the game’s economic system. The ability to use and interact with mundane objects throughout the world is an important way to connect the game to the Elder Scrolls IP. You will be able to loot crates, barrels, and chests, and harvest resources throughout the world. (GI3),(GSE3),(GI11)

While crafting wasn't available for the alpha play, that does not mean it will not be included at launch.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Klog View Post
    Well I personally think that after so many years of MMO's being hyped up to the millionth degree followed by an incredible let down, you can't really hype anyone up as easy anymore. I don't think that developers should even bother by getting into "This is the WoW-killer" and "This is totally new and fresh" because it falls on deaf ears at this point. No one believes it. Just talk about the facts of your game.

Being an Elder Scrolls game, I can say that there's already a guaranteed 2 million opening day box sales for them, but I, like many others, won't get my hopes up and play the game with an open mind and no expectations.

I hope it's wildly successful, but I thought GW2 was going to be as well and I barely play it. My last two hopes are ESO and EQ3!!!!!!
    Same here man, same here.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Too bad they're not. You're not allowed to explore most of the world.

(Yes I will complain about this every chance I get.)
    Preach it brotha. They're taking out the very soul of an Elder Scrolls game by doing that.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Quote Originally Posted by Drewan View Post
    Paying extra cash to access content in a game that should be available to everyone is flat out terrible and I can bet you we won;t see it in TESO (thank god)
    How do you define what "should" and what "should not be" available and by what merits they become such?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    will this game have 360 controller support? any details on this? i much prefered skyrim with controller than i did mouse/keyboard, but it might be a bit hard with the action bar.
    You have like 5 skills at any time in that game. I fail to see the problem. Especially when games like Kingdoms Of amalur had more skills than that and they managed fine

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    will this game have 360 controller support? any details on this? i much prefered skyrim with controller than i did mouse/keyboard, but it might be a bit hard with the action bar.
    From their twitter:

Elder Scrolls Online ‏@TESOnline

@D0nJ0seph Our current plans are for keyboard & mouse only. These previews talk more about #ESO's controls: http://elderscrollsonline.com/en/new...event-coverage

Quote Originally Posted by Tabbycat View Post
    From their twitter:

Elder Scrolls Online ‏@TESOnline

@D0nJ0seph Our current plans are for keyboard & mouse only. These previews talk more about #ESO's controls: http://elderscrollsonline.com/en/new...event-coverage
    This makes me very very happy. Games that are developed with controller support from the ground up are usually "eh" on mouse/keyboard.

Better be f2p, or Im not getting...

Quote Originally Posted by yack346 View Post
    Better be f2p, or Im not getting...
    god forbid people want to make money off their product.

I'd prefer it to be subscription free. Buy to play with a cosmetic shop, such as in The Secret World. That would be ideal in my opinion.

You can easily make money off a free to play model else why would MMO companies choose that over sub based? Clearly F2p is more profitable than sub since players have an unlimited spending pool while sub based you spending is only 15 a month? Or you can be like EA and have your subbers pay for both a sub and cartel coins which is a good way to make money.

F2P or freemium has proven to be more profitable than subscription only for the vast majority of games (i.e. every major game but WoW, EVE and Rift so far). And given the current market and the trends of business models, launching with a subscription only model would be more of a negative than a positive, as it would turn off a lot of players to the game.

F2P/freemium is very profitable. Very. See This report for some context.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusher View Post
    F2P or freemium has proven to be more profitable than subscription only for the vast majority of games (i.e. every major game but WoW, EVE and Rift so far). And given the current market and the trends of business models, launching with a subscription only model would be more of a negative than a positive, as it would turn off a lot of players to the game.

F2P/freemium is very profitable. Very. See (can't post links)report for some context.
    Right and your link says there are 50 million mmo players in US which has 300 million total population, your link is complete garbage and it's not fact but just an organization putting out some falsely numbers.

From I read the average f2p player spends 1-6$ total dependently what country they live and riot them self has said only around 5-10% of there playbase spend any money at all.

After reading more about your linked rapport it seems they count every single game even iphone games and web browser game as mmo that's the reason why they saying there are 50 million mmo players in US and f2p has been growing so fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Akkep View Post
    Right and your link says there are 50 million mmo players in US which has 300 million total population, your link is complete garbage and it's not fact but just an organization putting out some falsely numbers.

From I read the average f2p player spends 1-6$ total dependently what country they live and riot them self has said only around 5-10% of there playbase spend any money at all.

After reading more about your linked rapport it seems they count every single game even iphone games and web browser game as mmo that's the reason why they saying there are 50 million mmo players in US and f2p has been growing so fast.
    FYI Newzoo is actually a pretty good source for market research/data and are used frequently by reporters and analysts alike, same with Superdata.

Here's an estimate of Riot's daily income: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/1...p#.UPycf2dAYdU

$5-10 million daily estimated revenue from a guy whose job it is to be knowledgeable about the F2P market.

Also, for further evidence: Look at the MMO's of the past 5 years. With few exceptions (Rift and Warhammer...and Warhammer is basically dead), all have made the F2P/freemium transition and seen success through it. If F2P/freemium wasn't a viable model, or a model that generated higher revenues than subscription only for games with moderate sized playerbases, you wouldn't see games continuing to make the transition.

Browser MMO's a la Runescape or the upcoming City of Steam are absolutely MMO's, they're just played through a browser instead of a client. You're correct on the inclusion of some of the mobile games (though some are MMO's as well such as the Gameloft WoW clone Order and Chaos) skewing the numbers, and I'd love to see some more targeted data, but it's in-line with the rise in cash shop based revenue over the years which can be attributed to both the growth of mobile and the improved viability of F2P games with cash shops.

Quote Originally Posted by Akkep View Post
    I heard that the average F2p mmo player spends 20 dollars a month which is more than a sub fee. Also the majority of F2p players do not spend any money. The game makes money off of "Whales" which are players who spend a ton of cash on a f2p game each month.