Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    a fair number of lower gpa (ie. college paid by parents) might of gotten pushed by their parents to get a college degree at all cost....while they dont really care to have one. that screws up any stats unless accounted for. ppl who pay overwhelmingly WANT to be there....getting better grades.

Yes I still would pay for college. Just because I pay doesn't mean suddenly the GPA will drop, they are likely lower because a larger percent of these kids aren't as passionate about college. I mean, why would you pay for your own college if you knew you weren't passionate enough about what you're doing to get higher grades?
    X

Deleted
    In general lower wealth parents aren't going to pay for the college of a kid who isn't performing well in high school. Richer parents will send their academically inferior kid to college anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    In general lower wealth parents aren't going to pay for the college of a kid who isn't performing well in high school. Richer parents will send their academically inferior kid to college anyhow.
    Yes, but their findings weren't directly based on the amount of money that their parents had. The correlation was between how much parents gave their children to pay for school. The more they gave, the lower the GPA went.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Annapolis View Post
    Yes, but their findings weren't directly based on the amount of money that their parents had. The correlation was between how much parents gave their children to pay for school. The more they gave, the lower the GPA went.
    True, but you'd think that poorer parents would still give less aid to their children.

Thus less aid => poorer parents => not sending kids who were shit in high school to college.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/s...e-gpa-18219523

A recent study that will be published in the American Sociology Review shows that parents who help pay for college will lower their children's GPA.

Would you still financially help your kids (or future kids) through college knowing this?
    I think you'd find the other side of that study is that the percentage of college graduates among parents who help pay for their kids' school is probably much higher than those that don't, simply because people with parents that can't or won't help their children pay for college are less likely to attend in the first place.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

It does not surprise me, I known several people who had their parents carry them in different ways, none of them had motivation to try. Suffering, pain, hard work and going without is what motivates.

In Europe at least, employers only really care that you HAVE the BA or BSc (or higher of course) after your name, the grade you got is fairly irrelevant.

10+ Year Old Account
    I had parental assistance for my bachelor’s degree and maintained a straight A, 4.0 GPA going through a civil engineering curriculum. Raise your kids right and whether you give them financial assistance or not won't change their grades one bit. I plan on helping my kids.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

One of the problems with the college bubble is the fallacy that sending your kid to college/university will
    1) make him/her succeed 2) guarantee him/her a good job.

Neither one is true.

If my offspring do not show talent by the end of high school, they are getting a tradeskill or starting thier own business. Binge drinking and screwing for 4 years on my dime is not going to happen. I see far too many degree-holding failures out there already.

Would you still financially help your kids (or future kids) through college knowing this?
    I would if that were feasible. I make maybe $40,000 a year before taxes, and my wife makes about the same. Scholarships are gonna be his best friend in five years.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/s...e-gpa-18219523

A recent study that will be published in the American Sociology Review shows that parents who help pay for college will lower their children's GPA.

Part of being a responsible parent is saving for your children's education.

Deleted
    but not paying also increases hair loss and number of hours crying into your empty wallet

I can understand it. If they pay for it themselves then there's probably more emphasis on passing because it's all their money they're losing.

Deleted
    i also doubt this papers validity because there is also a negative correlation between hours spent working (part time jobs) and grades

10+ Year Old Account
    My parents paid for all my schooling and I got straight A's. I even got an A+ once.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Capitalism - so evil that it causes parents to instill a work ethic in their kids instead of a sense of entitlement.

---------- Post added 2013-01-20 at 02:26 PM ----------

The only two things I was concerned with were making sure my GPA was high enough for grad school and high enough to graduate with honors. I associated (and still associate) not having that honors tassel as a sign of laziness or stupidity, and I probably felt a lot more strong about it back when I was graduating undergrad.

---------- Post added 2013-01-20 at 02:27 PM ----------

There's no one getting into any decent graduate program with a 2.0 GPA. Good work with the subtle racism though!
    Not everyone's planning on going to grad school. And you can get a job in your field with a 2.0. That's all you really need.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    Well, I want the freedom to put poison in food and sell it to anyone I want and call it sugar. It's my freedom to do so, so you can't tell me no.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyman64 View Post
    Not everyone's planning on going to grad school. And you can get a job in your field with a 2.0. That's all you really need.
    Isn't a 2.0 GPA basically a Third Class degree? I mean, I would NEVER hire someone that had a 3rd... Even a 2:2 is questionable... Either they're incompetent or unwilling to apply themselves when expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyman64 View Post
    And you can get a job in your field with a 2.0. That's all you really need.
    It depends on the job and how you interview. If you're a 2.0 student, you're probably not going to do the best in a technical interview.

Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    It depends on the job and how you interview. If you're a 2.0 student, you're probably not going to do the best in a technical interview.
    I'm not saying it's great, but you can do something with it. After that it's your on the job experience that will matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    Well, I want the freedom to put poison in food and sell it to anyone I want and call it sugar. It's my freedom to do so, so you can't tell me no.