Quote Originally Posted by Azuri View Post
    in the game atm you either play on America, Europe or Singapore atm.
    There is absolutely no segregation based on area, there's just a choice of login servers...i have tried my account using all the gateways and all display my chars, and the same people are in chat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lagwin View Post
    There is absolutely no segregation based on area, there's just a choice of login servers...i have tried my account using all the gateways and all display my chars, and the same people are in chat.

Interesting I wonder if that will change for live?

not that i'd heard but who knows....
    I'd prefer a segregated chat though...they should have kept that the way it was

Quote Originally Posted by Nirawen View Post
    Pft, coming in here with your knowledge, braining up the place.
    Yeah it's such a pity when others come into this thread and mistake it for Diablo III. Hah. No pvp. lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry for the delay, added an update. So glad to see the game front page here after so long!
    Playing Path of Exile and Guild Wars 2

Quote Originally Posted by Aurinax View Post
    Sorry for the delay, added an update. So glad to see the game front page here after so long!
    Has been frontpage for the last months I think :P

Unlikely to change for OBT. The game follows a model similar to Guild Wars 1. Whole game is instanced. Even towns.

Once a town fills up with a given number of folks, the game automatically shuffles players to new instances of that town or area [as the case may be]. Though players can travel manually to any current instance of a town or area [if in a party] they desire by ctrl-clicking. Or create a new one by the same process.

In that Gamespot interview it is mentioned by the developers Guild Wars was a big influence. Which again, had the same structure; login gateway by region, play with any one in one massive world.

Functionally, we are all on the same "server"; Default SC, Default HC, Cutthroat, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Have a quick question. Read in this thread that the talent trees are all passive skills. How are active skills determined/acquired and how much choice do you have in that?

Quote Originally Posted by fengosa View Post
    Have a quick question. Read in this thread that the talent trees are all passive skills. How are active skills determined/acquired and how much choice do you have in that?
    Should have checked the Path of Exile site...it on their front page...the active skill are gems which you socket to your gear...think final fantasy 7's materia system.
    They are aquired from quests or dropped by monsters

Quote Originally Posted by fengosa View Post
    As Lagwin said, it's right on the front page. But the skill gem page also explains in greater detail.

Quote Originally Posted by Grinding Gear Games
    Skill Gems

Nearly all action RPGs had linear skill systems where the progression of an active skill was preordained by the developers. If you were a fire user, you would progress from a weak fire spout to a more powerful fireball, and eventually to something big and flashy like a flame wave.

In Path of Exile, active skills (i.e., skills that you use on command) are itemized onto "Skill Gems". These gems confer an active skill to the player when they are socketed into equipment and gain experience as the player slays enemies.

A choice of staple skill gems are given out as quest rewards throughout the game to ensure that players have a variety of skills available. You’ll discover rare advanced skill gems out in the wilderness and dungeons. Like all items, these can be traded between players. Some of the more devastating skills are extremely valuable.

Gems can also level up. When a player is awarded experience, all gems in equipped items gain 10% of that value. This gain is in addition to the experience earned by the player. When a gem is removed or traded, it retains its experience. It’s possible to specialize in leveling up valuable gems and trading them to other players. We haven’t announced the number of levels that gems will have, but it takes a substantial amount of experience to reach the highest levels of gem potency.

Gems have attribute requirements based on their type and level. For example, a higher level cleave skill gem requires more strength than a low level one. If your character doesn’t meet the attribute requirements of the new level of the skill gem, then the experience value sits at the maximum of the previous level until you next gain additional experience and also meet its requirements.
    link.

The game is very intuitive. This hand wringing over skills, passive tree and so on you see around the web and forums is mostly nonsense or stupidity.

When one sees a gem lying on the floor it is distinct from other loot. Immediately one can see that the gem is 1 of 3 primary colors. All gear will have a number of sockets consisting of 1 of 3 primary colors.

Upon picking up a skill gem all matching color sockets will automatically highlight. A large message is clearly written informing the player a gem can be placed in a corresponding colored socket. Doing so will add the skill to your hotbar if a free space is there.

Clicking you bar will bring up a list of your skills- Guild Wars style. You can swap instantly.

One will see, the color green is related to Dexterity. Where the Ranger, Duelist and Shadow classes begin near in the passive tree. That Strength gems are colored red- the colors nearest Templar, Marauder and Duelist. Blue gems designate Intelligence, and so.

Everything in the game follows this kind of consistent logic. Path of Exile is deep & complex, but intuitive and logical.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Been playing the hell out of this game over the last day or so (thank again, Endersblade!). Honestly the

So far my time has been spent with:

Templar- Melee/pbAOE/ranged hybrid. Its been very strong so far.

Witch- Summoner build. I find this build to be kind of dull tbh. When characters reset in a few days I'm going to go with

Marauder- Just getting started with it...no real 'build' so far.

Duelist- DW high mobility build. Need to get some +health of kill equipment because its really strong but I have to keep on top of drinking flasks more than the others.

Overall I'm having a blast with this game. Its extremely well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Everything in the game follows this kind of consistent logic. Path of Exile is deep & complex, but intuitive and logical.
    Refreshing when the developer doesn't aim to hold the players hand at every corner but instead them him figure out things for him self, try new things out, explore the possibilities and get sucked in by the experience.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been looking around the classes , and the one that has me most curious is the "Shadow" . My question is, are they like a melee rogue, or can i be a Ranged rogue so to speak?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirve View Post
    I've been looking around the classes , and the one that has me most curious is the "Shadow" . My question is, are they like a melee rogue, or can i be a Ranged rogue so to speak?
    Shadows can be anything, but they have easiest access to elemental damage, dexterity and intelligence. They are considered by many to be a solid defensive late game choice due to easy access to energy shield/evasion related passives.

To answer your specific question, yes. Shadows are commonly bow users, casters, or elemental damage melee fighters.
    Playing Path of Exile and Guild Wars 2

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirve View Post
    Any class can be or do anything. The only difference with the classes is in which place they start in the talent tree. So you could make a marauder with bow, a witch with dual dagger melee, anything you can imagine you can do it. The only thing that holds you back is how well your spec will perform in higher difficulties.

You first need to decide with which skills you want to play and what to make of your toon and then pick a class that is close to the "talent points" you want to take to make it work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurinax View Post
    Shadows can be anything, but they have easiest access to elemental damage, dexterity and intelligence. They are considered by many to be a solid defensive late game choice due to easy access to energy shield/evasion related passives.

To answer your specific question, yes. Shadows are commonly bow users, casters, or elemental damage melee fighters.
    Thanks for the info =D

Quote Originally Posted by Newbryn View Post
    Interview with chris Wilson while he plays act 3

Wow, haven't really known too much about PoE before this video. After watching I'm completely hooked on playing it when open beta launches! I hope it's popularity continues to skyrocket!

To people who know the game well: I'm looking for a class that has fast attack speed with decent survivability (lifesteal to stay alive). Two 1handers obviously.

edit: found it, duelist. vid is somewhat old, is that viable anymore?
    Last edited by Creatinebrah; 2013-01-21 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tangosmango View Post
    To people who know the game well: I'm looking for a class that has fast attack speed with decent survivability (lifesteal to stay alive). Two 1handers obviously.
    You can go any class you want, for lifesteal and survivability marauder is good but i believe both the duelists and the shadow both have easier access to attack speed passives.

Not sure of the shadows survivability though...pretty sure that many of the current builds would go for chaos inoculation which is getting changed for the OB.
    Duelist though has good access to the tanky side of the marauder area.
    And almost all attacks can be boosted with the faster attacks support gem

Also check this out for attack speed

Quote Originally Posted by Lagwin View Post
    You can go any class you want, for lifesteal and survivability marauder is good but i believe both the duelists and the shadow both have easier access to attack speed passives.

Not sure of the shadows survivability though...pretty sure that many of the current builds would go for chaos inoculation which is getting changed for the OB.
    Duelist though has good access to the tanky side of the marauder area.
    And almost all attacks can be boosted with the faster attacks support gem

Also check this out for attack speed
    LMAO @ the vid....wow

edit: i wonder if people in this thread that really know their stuff would make a 'guild' (if thats possible) where noobs like me can ask questions. i only ask because i can't even imagine the global or trade chat during open beta. i can already see the insane amount of trolling of d3 vs poe lawl
    Last edited by Creatinebrah; 2013-01-21 at 11:53 AM.