Poll: Should they be cloned?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Favourite quote from one of my science teachers.

"Just because we can shouldn't mean we should."

What would be the point in cloning a Neanderthal?

Sure, if it was done ethically. Neanderthals were likely as intelligent (or more) as humans.

The last thing we need is more people on this planet.

Also, the neanderthal will never get to experience its natural environment because of civilization, unless they dumped it somewhere in Russia. Contact with humans would contaminate observations.

The probability is also high that this would lead to producing slaves(privatization is unavoidable, see pharma), throwing society into yet another cycle of cruelty, civil rights struggles, and decades of hard feelings and seperation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcho View Post
    The last thing we need is more people on this planet.

Also, the neanderthal will never get to experience its natural environment because of civilization, unless they dumped it somewhere in Russia. Contact with humans would contaminate observations.

The probability is also high that this would lead to producing slaves(privatization is unavoidable, see pharma), throwing society into yet another cycle of cruelty, civil rights struggles, and decades of hard feelings and seperation.
    human natural environment doesn't exist anymore, we change our environment. We, don't have a natural environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorensen View Post
    human natural environment doesn't exist anymore, we change our environment. We, don't have a natural environment.
    Did you just feel the train wobble on the tracks?

It just might...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiili View Post
    though, they died out for a reason.
    They didn't really die out, since lots of people outside of Africa carry a percentage of Neanderthal genes.

And they weren't stupid, because they painted caves and used many tools way before Homosapiens.
    If I had to take a guess, I'd say that Homosapiens were just more numerous and they completely assimilated the Neanderthals.

Deleted
    I say we should not.

Let's think a bit. From the start, some first tries will be unsuccessful, this means creating fetuses or actual children with horrible mutations. Many will die. And you're not making sheep clones here.

Now, let's assume that the scientists do manage and clone a successful specimen. What do you think will happen with it? Treated ethically like humans? pffff, in what world do you live in? They'd be locked in a cage, have experiments made on it and treated like a lab rat. You think otherwise? Then you're in same bucket with people who think the true communism is not an utopia now and we could make it.

we killed them all, why would we want them back?
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by checking facts View Post
    we killed them all, why would we want them back?
    We didn't kill them all, we adopted them into our genome.

Quote Originally Posted by Zao View Post
    Uhm. Why should they be cloned? We wouldn't learn anything about their "society" nor would we get any biological information that we don't already have.
    I'd rather limit focus to replacement parts and food, not on entire living beings.
    And we already beat them, theres no reason to bring them back to compete with us again or pass on their failed genes. Although it would be funny to have a real "Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer" even if he wasnt unfrozen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    They're sufficiently different to be considered a separate species. Perhaps I should have said a non-homo sapien.
    I don't think this is true. As far as I know, we are Homo sapiens sapiens and they are Homo sapiens neanderthalensis, which pretty much means we're separate subspecies of the same species, which means we could reproduce with them. The point at which 2 types of animals stop being the same species is when they can't reproduce anymore. I think that's the basic definition of a species.

OT: I'm not really sure about neanderthal cloning. If they're treated nicely I guess I could live with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorensen View Post
    We didn't kill them all, we adopted them into our genome.
    The more scientific explanation would be that they died out due to failure to compete for resources with homo sapiens. Survival of the fittest and they werent the fittest. Some probably survived by living with humans and passed on some of their genes.

I find this unethical.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Einherjarn View Post
    Why did I read the title as Neanderthal clothing...
    rest assured you weren't the only one....

Quote Originally Posted by Einherjarn View Post
    Why did I read the title as Neanderthal clothing...
    lol I did as well. Probably because it started with CLO and ending in ING and well cloning isn't the usual thing one would think.

Unless they're being brought back to be slaves or some sort of cannon fodder I don't see the point in cloning them. They died off for a reason after all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Prokne View Post
    The more scientific explanation would be that they died out due to failure to compete for resources with homo sapiens. Survival of the fittest and they werent the fittest. Some probably survived by living with humans and passed on some of their genes.
    no, interbreeding with them was rampant in ice age Europe.

i see no reason NOT too. if it progresses our understanding of the process of cloning fine, and if we bring back a species from it thats just icing on the cake in my book. weather or not this is is "immoral" or "unethical" needs to be kicked out of the conversation. or better yet why do you people think it so? we are not breeding or going to breed some abomination out of resident evil here, we are mealy expanding on what our understanding of the building blocks of life is. people need to stop thinking this is some horrible science fiction movie/book.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think they should clone one, if for no other reason than curiosity. It would be an amazing thing to see a species alive again that went extinct so long ago.