Poll: Is It Cowardly to Walk Away from a Fight?

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast

I'm not sure how a video, where all the fighters are fighting in the same style is in any way relevant. No kicks, no grabs? If we're all fighting on an even playing field, yeah sure. But 5v1, hell 3v1, no one is gonna wait their turn to attack you like these guys in their controlled environment.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

Anyone wise would simply walk away...

DISCLAIMER - THIS IS ABOUT ME AND MY LIFE - I AM NOT CONDONING THIS TYPE OF BEHAVIOR - DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK.

I normally would let threads like this skip by, but had to reply after reading 2-ish pages of responses - most of which I can surmise were posted from young kids or ones that probably have never been put into a "bad" situation. Being bullied on a school bus type of life I'm assuming at the worst.

Is it cowardly to walk away from a dangerous situation? No.

This sums up my thoughts for the most part:
    ----------------
    There are a few situations where it is what it is.
    1. Your life is in danger
    2. Your SO life is in danger
    3. Your children's lives are in danger
    4. Your a soldier for a national military and this is your assignment.
    5. Your mother's life is in danger, if they go at dad its their loss.

If its just pride such as neighborhood rep or gang affiliation or school pride or something like that then the wise move is walk away. BUT if you must raise your hands and fight for such petty things keep in mind retaliation will always present itself at the worst time.
    -----------------------

Coming from someone that grew up in mainly bad areas of the towns I lived in, I can respond as being the person that didn't walk away at times. If my life were in danger, or I felt threatened enough, I knew I had to hit the first person so hard an ambulance would need to show up. If I were at a distance, of course I'd run - it's the best course of action. Each and every situation was unique - there's no cut and dry answer.

Also, growing up in a bad area, I knew the local punks would never let up if they knew you were "cowardly," so - I let it happen a couple times and I walked away. So, I had enough one day and knocked the closest person's teeth out - the one time they figured I'd walk away. Retaliation? Nope - sorry, I did enough damage to make them know to walk around me next time. And these were some serious gang punks - did I worry about getting shot - sure. But I wouldn't be living in such a bad area of town and do what I did if I didn't put out the same vibe every now and then.

My life improved since I was young, but I still don't live in the silver side of town. I raised my kids watching them struggle with "bullies" - getting beaten up, etc - even asked for local police help and school assistance - no help whatsoever. Had to pull one out of school from kids torturing him endlessly. So, I got to the day that these kids were shooting BB and ball bearing guns at my kids and let them mine know it was okay to defend yourself. The next day, 6 of them surrounded my oldest, about 14 years old at the time, and guess what - he laid one out. Wanna know who didn't bother him again?

I guess the moral of my story is - know how to defend yourself - I do and I teach my kids how to - and if there isn't much of a resolution in walking away - it is okay to defend yourself and your virtue at times. If you're worried about getting shot - you're on the wrong side of town. I believe this is why we have such troubles with "bullies" - we're afraid of our kids getting hurt and we shield them too much - never teaching them how to defend or stick up for themselves. My kids have been trained to defend themselves, their lives, and their family's lives and I can say that throughout their ordeals, dealing with punks isn't something they worry about now - now it's working, paying the rent, hiding from angry wives (a whole other story), etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elisif View Post
    Follow your instincts
    Fight for me and this is why. I seem to lack a flight response and have purely a fight one.

As for 5v1 done it...And was while mostly blacked out on autopilot with a number of chairs and tables involved...I kinda miss my youth.

Quote Originally Posted by Bathory View Post
    I'm not sure how a video, where all the fighters are fighting in the same style is in any way relevant. No kicks, no grabs? If we're all fighting on an even playing field, yeah sure. But 5v1, hell 3v1, no one is gonna wait their turn to attack you like these guys in their controlled environment.
    The video was meant to demonstrate:

Mainly utilization of specific maneuvers targeted to position defender in such a way that all of the attackers are “funneled” in-front of the defender."
    The drill wasn't very fast paced but it demonstrates how you can mitigate the multi person advantage by moving into a position where one attacker blocks another.

It's not cowardly to walk away from any such fight much less one where you are outnumbered. Cowardly means lacking in courage. I would say that it is more likely that a person who is engaging in a pointless fight against four others when they have the opportunity to walk away is arrogant, prideful and reckless.

Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post

The drill wasn't very fast paced but it demonstrates how you can mitigate the multi person advantage by moving into a position where one attacker blocks another.
    In a sport, yeah. Not in a real life fight, at least not in an open field.

If you're unarmed, then definitely walk away. If you have a concealed carry permit, you can pull out that glock with a 20 round mag and blow them all away, then call 911 for clean up.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Girlyman View Post
    Do not confuse bravery with stupidity.
    This can't be stressed enough.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Walk away, but always defend yourself if you are pushed to the edge.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was in a situation like this before, but it was 7. I didn't consider myself a coward for walking away because life is not like a movie, you can't take 7 people out with ease, maybe 2-3 given my fighting background but not a large group. I considered myself smart for making a wise move and avoiding any unnecessary violence

Quote Originally Posted by Hastings95 View Post
    Or a gun.

*Grins*

Says the guy with a Dr. Who avatar. SMH.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    It's not cowardly to walk away from any such fight much less one where you are outnumbered. Cowardly means lacking in courage. I would say that it is more likely that a person who is engaging in a pointless fight against four others when they have the opportunity to walk away is arrogant, prideful and reckless.

In a sport, yeah. Not in a real life fight, at least not in an open field.
    9 out of 10 people agree that in a room full of 10 people one person will always disagree with the other 9.

It's not cowardice if it's a fight you can't possibly win. They are the cowards for trying to fight you 4 on 1.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankLampard View Post
    The Classic Chav Encounters

A group of 4 - 5 youths (late teens) approach you and try and start a fight with you for 'looking at them weird'. You glanced at them and that's it. They starting spitting at your feet. You keep on walking. It's obvious they want a fight. What do you do?

A) Keep on walking. Ain't nobody got time for dis shit.

B) Summon your inner Chuck Norris and lay them all out. Get a cigar out after the 'battle' and proceed to tea-bagging. You're so hardcore you get one of the chavs to take a picture of it on your smart phone. You upload it to Facebook and tag the photo as 'Just another day yo'.

C) Fight dirty. Bite, scratch, gouge the mother-fuckers. Fighting 4 v 1 dirty so why not fight dirty back?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In all seriousness, if your ganged up on unexpectedly, do you think it's cowardly to walk/run away? In reality there isn't many people who could handle four or five people at once unless you're a pro boxer or some shiz.

If you votes "Yes". Please explain what would you do in the situation? (without some macho "I could beat 5 people up at the same time" bullshit)

P.S I forgot to untick "Multiple Choice". Don't vote twice foos.
    Cowardly? I mean technically it could be considered cowardly. I wouldn't call it cowardly, I would call it intelligent, unless you are trained in hand to hand combat in some way, fighting 4-5 (late teens) isn't going to turn out well. And most of the time teenagers get caught up in a moment and don't know that they should stop kicking the guy on the ground until he is dead.

I would vote A, unless they started physically assaulting me, at which point I would go straight to C. Nut shots, biting, eye gouging, fuck those kids. Once you start a street fight like that, you want it over as fast as possible with as little damage to you as possible.

10+ Year Old Account
    C....

Funny thing is, I always do C or B.
    Howay the lads!

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know if this is relevant or not but I'll share a situation I was in.

I took a mechanical class in high school, wasn't auto shop but covered engines and such.

There was a bully ring leader in the class, he was a year younger then me, and a few of his hangers on. The class was loose format with the students kinda doing whatever we wanted across a few different rooms as we needed so it wasn't unusual to be out of line of sight of the teacher for long periods of time.

Well, one day I was working in the back of the classroom on a small engine I had procured off a lawn mower, and this kid happens to be in the back of the room goofing off with his friends, as per normal. Well, I don't even know how it started, but he apparently got bored and decided to 'rastle' with me a bit. It wasn't full contact rolling around on the ground or anything, but he was definitely making contact trying to egg me on. This kid got in fights REGULARLY, and bore the injuries to prove it. The dumbass was from a super rich family, dad bout him a new BMW every year, that sort of thing. No idea why he felt the need to get beat on all the time but that's how it was. Well, he ended up pushing me backwards into the table i was working at, so i just sat on it ( im tall so the table was actually sitting down, im like a head taller then this kid ) but when I put my hand back behind me.....it landed on the torque wrench. Now, I don't know if folks here know what a half inch drive torque wrench looks like, but its a serious piece of metal. So now I've got what amounts to a 2 foot long, 5 pound metal rod in my hand, already wound up behind me to knock this fuckers head off. At that very moment the teacher walked into the room and this kid stepped back and acted like we were just 'foolin around' laughing and everything. Then I see his eyes find the wrench in my hand and he realized how close he came to getting really really messed up.

I cannot tell you how much self control I had to exert to NOT swing that wrench. I'm glad I didn't, because I would likely have sent him to the hospital, I have this history of being unable to stop once I start in situations like that. In the end that few moments of control saved me a LOT of grief.

To give the story context, we had a decent amount of violence at my school. It wasn't some crazy ghetto school, was actually the best school in the area, we just had some real issues. I personally knew 2 kids who were beaten to bloody pulps on campus during school hours. One with brass knuckles, the other had his head repeatedly kicked into a metal cabinet. The second kid was retarded for life afterwards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillern View Post
    "IM LOOKING AT A THING I DONT LIKE, I HAVE THE OPTION TO GO AWAY FROM IT BUT I WILL LOOK MORE AND COMPLAIN ABOUT THE THING I DONT LIKE BECAUSE I DONT LIKE IT, NO ONE IS FORCING ME TO SEARCH FOR THIS THING OR LOOK AT THIS THING OR REMAIN LOOKING AT THIS THING BUT I AM ANYWAY, ITS OFFENDS ME! ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME!!!"
    Troof

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account

A group of 4 - 5 youths (late teens) approach you and try and start a fight with you for 'looking at them weird'. You glanced at them and that's it. They starting spitting at your feet. You keep on walking. It's obvious they want a fight. What do you do?

B) Summon your inner Chuck Norris and lay them all out. Get a cigar out after the 'battle' and proceed to tea-bagging. You're so hardcore you get one of the chavs to take a picture of it on your smart phone. You upload it to Facebook and tag the photo as 'Just another day yo'.

C) Fight dirty. Bite, scratch, gouge the mother-fuckers. Fighting 4 v 1 dirty so why not fight dirty back?

In all seriousness, if your ganged up on unexpectedly, do you think it's cowardly to walk/run away? In reality there isn't many people who could handle four or five people at once unless you're a pro boxer or some shiz.

If you votes "Yes". Please explain what would you do in the situation? (without some macho "I could beat 5 people up at the same time" bullshit)

Keep walking until I can find a pipe to wack them with.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do I have a knife? If so I brandish it and if they still attack I carve 'em up. If not I probably just run.

I went to a school with lot's of black people, gypsys and brazilian people for two years because i was dumb and didn't made my school application early and had not much to chose from.
    I am no racist, i have brazilian, black, asian friends, they are normal people like me but in those schools usually are the "bad" ones who have gangs, sell drugs, etc.

So i went to the school, i am not the type of guy who gets in problems but i don't let people stay above me either. You know what i mean? So for the majority of the 2 years i had no problems, but i had a handful of theme.

One day 2 guys put me against a wall because i didn't lent theme some school material. I am 100% sure i could beat theme no problem but i didn't do anything, why? Because almost everyone in that school had knives and when they hadn't, afraid of getting caught, they are hidden in places inside the school. I could beat theme but then they would hit me with one, or call gang members and even though i can beat 2 or 3 guys i can't beat 6,7,8+. So if i beated the shit out of those two i couldn't go back to school anymore, so i played smart and ignored.

In other occasion a gypsy, offended my mum and i lost my nerve, approached him and yelled, what did you said? He said "nothing". they are usually cowards without their gangs but i really pushed it that day, i was lucky he didn't call anyone.

In other one, one of those two guys who put me against the wall gave me a slap in the neck, but a really weak one, i stayed like a volcano on the inside, looked at him but eventually i just went away.

I knew i couldn't do anything or i would waste 2 years of my course and life for nothing by not being able to go back to school for safety reasons and not finish my course.

Unless someone really hits you just ignore theme, those kind of people are unhappy even if they act cool and happy when they are with friends like theme. Now, if they hit you and you see you need to fight or you gonna die / get badly injured, give everything you have and even if you go to the hospital for months, send theme to the fucking graveyard.
    Last edited by Sughs; 2013-01-22 at 04:45 AM.

10+ Year Old Account

Just for looking at me weird? They wouldn't. I don't look at people if I can help it and most people are at least somewhat intimidated by me (though I'm a peaceful person).

I dunno, I'm trying to put myself in that situation, but it'd never happen to me.