Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by someotherguy View Post
    It's not like this money would not have been spent some other way.
    At least this way, people see president. If president locks himself into white house for four years making hotdogs for family, I'm not sure why you think that would be better.
    Alot less money spent on security detail. Also if the money is spent some other way, we could spend it on something like fixing roads or building bridges. I personally think we'd be better not spending the money, but not spending it on the president seems like great first step in the right direction.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by someotherguy View Post
    It's not like this money would not have been spent some other way.
    At least this way, people see president. If president locks himself into white house for four years making hotdogs for family, I'm not sure why you think that would be better.
    It couldve been not spent all and lower our taxes

Bloodsail Admiral Melanieshaman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    Considering the garbage he was running against, I am not. Not near as many actually voted FOR Obama as they were mainly voting AGAINST Romney.

Still think it is complete garbage that with two completely failures for choices among the two big parties, not enough of the US population had the intelligence to vote outside of them with 3rd party candidates. I mean seriously, the D and R gave us the choice between a disappointment and a disaster while there were perfectly viable alternatives that were ignored cause some no nothing's told us the were unelectable.... Sounds like a self fulfilling prophesy to me.
    what do you expect the voters elected "dubbya" TWICE...

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    It couldve been not spent all and lower our taxes
    Really? After all of the presidential assassination attempts do you honestly think that anybody would still run of president if they thought that the other side could kill them?

And I think you fail to understand how little money it takes to run the government...government spending does not equal actual government size.

Honestly are you just trolling people?
    Last edited by ati87; 2013-01-22 at 01:10 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I never said we shouldnt pay for secret service. I said we should be paying for all the extra officers and the police needed to control the crowds and traffic. If he had a simple ceremony where he swore in at the capitol steps and then went back to work we wouldnt have needed to spend all the extra money, as his normal crew wouldve been fine

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I never said we shouldnt pay for secret service. I said we should be paying for all the extra officers and the police needed to control the crowds and traffic. If he had a simple ceremony where he swore in at the capitol steps and then went back to work we wouldnt have needed to spend all the extra money, as his normal crew wouldve been fine
    There are no "extra officers".

Where did you get the idea that the Secret Service has part-time temps? They put more people on field duty, rather than other duties. They may work with police forces in the local area. All these people are salaried employees, doing their jobs. Nobody's bringing in temps.

Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    The inauguration and everything that is part of it is paid by the donors and not by tax payers.
    This is simply just not true. The galas and balls after the inauguration are privately funded (in part) but the ceremony, parade and clean up is all publically funded.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's always hilarious to hear Conservatives say things like..."Even if we taxed the rich at 100% it would only run the government for a couple days!," then throw a fucking fit about $50 million once every four years.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    So Obama has not increased drone strikes, stripped us of any semblance of privacy, and has ended the war on drugs?
    . Let me guess you would have advocated for Nazi rights too when they were getting bombed? Terrorist are like roaches and deserve to be exterminated. Any American advocating for terrorist rights needs to go visit a VA hospital sometime. Also do not pull that soverign country shit because Pakistan has nukes and controls our access into Afghanastan and they have not said a damn thing because they are authorized.

. Agree on the privacy thing. Go ask the Judicial branch to keep the legislative and Executive branch in check and do their job of balancing.

. I do not see him telling Attorney General Eric Holder to send in the feds in Colorado and Washington. Obama is not stupid. The easiest way to shut down a fuck ton of cartels is to legalize marijuana. It has a medical sue and therefore is not a schedule one 1 drug plain and simple. Supreme Court will uphold the Washington and Colorado laws easily and Obama is well aware of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    There are no "extra officers".

Where did you get the idea that the Secret Service has part-time temps? They put more people on field duty, rather than other duties. They may work with police forces in the local area. All these people are salaried employees, doing their jobs. Nobody's bringing in temps.

They have police from different municipalities working down there, as well. They aren't doing charity work, and I would be pretty surprised if DC wasn't picking up the tab.

---------- Post added 2013-01-22 at 03:43 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post
    It's always hilarious to hear Conservatives say things like..."Even if we taxed the rich at 100% it would only run the government for a couple days!," then throw a fucking fit about $50 million once every four years.
    $50 million might only be a drop in the bucket of the billions spent on a daily basis, but the attitude that $50 million doesn't really matter is why we have $16 trillion of debt and climbing.
    Last edited by Tinykong; 2013-01-22 at 03:43 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    They have police from different municipalities working down there, as well. They aren't doing charity work, and I would be pretty surprised if DC wasn't picking up the tab.

---------- Post added 2013-01-22 at 03:43 PM ----------

$50 million might only be a drop in the bucket of the billions spent on a daily basis, but the attitude that $50 million doesn't really matter is why we have $16 trillion of debt and climbing.
    I think his point was that you can't have it both ways. If $50 million in spending is significant, then don't pretend that the money generated from extra tax on the wealthy is only a drop in the bucket.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    I had issue with the use of MLK day to start with. I seriously doubt that MLK would approve of Obama's positions on many things. Namely the perpetuating the war on drugs.

This sums it up better than I could:
    You need to do some research regarding the Obama administration's Justice Department directives if you believe he's anywhere near as tyrannical as previous Presidents as to his personal feelings on recreational drug use...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I think his point was that you can't have it both ways. If $50 million in spending is significant, then don't pretend that the money generated from extra tax on the wealthy is only a drop in the bucket.
    That's exactly the point. I have no problem with a lavish party once every for years to celebrate the election of a President. It's just really not a big deal.

No one is saying $50 million doesn't matter. I'm not advocating that we just throw it into the shredder. A lot of local businesses are profiting from the inauguration, so it's not a total loss.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

I certainly haven't ever said that. I'm in favor of a flat tax and setting the government's budget to a percentage of GDP, but that's never going to happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's exactly the point. I have no problem with a lavish party once every for years to celebrate the election of a President. It's just really not a big deal.

No one is saying $50 million doesn't matter. I'm not advocating that we just throw it into the shredder. A lot of local businesses are profiting from the inauguration, so it's not a total loss.
    It also brings some 800,000 people (I think that's the number of people who were at the Inauguration) a great deal of happiness and memories, and a sense of ceremony and ritual to much larger swathes of the American public, which has value in itself.

This is simply just not true. The galas and balls after the inauguration are privately funded (in part) but the ceremony, parade and clean up is all publically funded.
    Our entire government is privately funded.

First term Presidents, I can sort of agree with the need to have a ceremony. Second term Presidents? Have a private ceremony in the Oval Office, say a few words on TV, and go back to work. Pretending the parties are for people’s enjoyment and not for lobbying/schmoozing is pretty naive.

---------- Post added 2013-01-22 at 04:01 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Our entire government is privately funded.
    If you want to deal in those abstract extremes, sure.

10+ Year Old Account
    First term Presidents, I can sort of agree with the need to have a ceremony. Second term Presidents? Have a private ceremony in the Oval Office, say a few words on TV, and go back to work. Pretending the parties are for people’s enjoyment and not for lobbying/schmoozing
    is pretty naive.
    You think there were 800,000 lobbyist/schmoozers on the capital mall yesterday?

Deleted
    Did you see the anchor that accidentally said 'Nigger' when trying to say Inauguration? Funny.

You think there were 800,000 lobbyist/schmoozers on the capital mall yesterday?

Did you even read what I said before your knee jerked?

Unless you think those people on the mall were invited to those five figure a ticket after parties...