10+ Year Old Account

Lightbulb Idea- Account-Wide Gold Pool

I had an idea yesterday when a random guy gave me 500 gold just for rolling my first Alliance toon. Problem is, I can never seem to get an Ally to around 20 before losing interest and deleting, plus my Horde toons could benefit more from that cashola. Then the idea came to me... all gold from all characters on your account is accumulated into one big gold pool that all your characters can use. They would have to get rid of the gold cap of course, but I think this is a pretty good idea because it saves time from sending gold to alts and such. Maybe you see something on the Auction house for a very low price and want to buy it before someone else! No need to go back and forth to the mailbox, all your gold is already with you!

Why stop there? Why not account wide currency? Honor, Justice, Valor, the whole shablang!

I honestly can't see any problems with this simplw idea, except mailbox dancers may lose a lot of revenue because people aren't visiting mailboxes as often... It could also be hard to code too, no idea...
    Last edited by docterfreeze; 2013-01-22 at 10:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by docterfreeze View Post
    I had an idea yesterday when a random guy gave me 500 gold just for rolling my first Alliance toon. Problem is, I can never seem to get an Ally to around 20 before losing interest and deleting, plus my Horde toons could benefit more from that cashola. Then the idea came to me... all gold from all characters on your account is accumulated into one big gold pool that all your characters can use. They would have to get rid of the gold cap of course, but I think this is a pretty good idea because it saves time from sending gold to alts and such. Maybe you see something on the Auction house for a very low price and want to buy it before someone else! No need to go back and forth to the mailbox, all your gold is already with you!

I honestly can't see any problems with this simplw idea, except mailbox dancers may lose a lot of revenue because people aren't visiting mailboxes as often... It could also be hard to code too, no idea...
    Seems like he gave you the 500 to lvl and get you started so you can play together, not to transfer it to a horde toon
    "I hated hating Garrosh before it was cool."
    FOR THE HORDE!!!

Cross faction. Will never happen. Closest you will get is to get pets on Alliance and then sell them on Horde after you cage them.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastmasterGuardian View Post
    Cross faction. Will never happen. Closest you will get is to get pets on Alliance and then sell them on Horde after you cage them.
    If you mean cross factions resources, I wouldn't say never, but probably not soon.

If you mean cross faction anything else. I would not be surprised if they opened it more soon.

Cross-faction and cross-realm currencies would do wonky things to economies. High-pop prices for low-pop realms and factions could be good or could be bad. Better not to do something like this and keep guessing than to guess wrong and have bad things happen.

Quote Originally Posted by slozon View Post
    If you mean cross factions resources, I wouldn't say never, but probably not soon.

If you mean cross faction anything else. I would not be surprised if they opened it more soon.
    I meant money sharing. It would be WAY to easy for hackers to grab an account, sell it all into one toon, and then just roll a new lvl 1 on the opposite side and BAM... money b gone. Just makes it WAY too easy to throw the game economy further out of whack. I would rather see something more BoA related as usuable, like motes and spirits, or certain raid gear. Then you have something usable on another character that would otherwise be soul bound. This way, BoA can be the new BoP. If one toon wears it, they can use it as hand-me-downs for lower level toons.

---------- Post added 2013-01-22 at 03:16 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sarahjane View Post
    Cross-faction and cross-realm currencies would do wonky things to economies. High-pop prices for low-pop realms and factions could be good or could be bad. Better not to do something like this and keep guessing than to guess wrong and have bad things happen.
    Exactly. I like to call those things LFD/LFR and Cataclysm

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't mind an account-wide bank box a la D3 for the purposes of gold transfer and transmog gear storage. It's pretty easy to solo old content for gear on some toons and not so easy on others.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ya I dont see this as ending well for the economy. I mean technically you can xfer your gold exploiting the Xfaction AH as long as you got a friend or two accounts. I think that is just enough leniency to not cause everything to come crashing down.

I don't feel we need more things that blur the lines between characters really.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm... How about currency shared across all toons on the realm, is that any better of an idea?

If/when we see region-wide AH's, sure... why not ?

Old currencies, like JP, honor and daily tokens, I'm fine with making accountwide, as it would allow me to farm those points on the character that I feel like playing...

Valor Points & Conquest Points ? Got my reservations about that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gold is a terrible idea but maybe other forms of currency sure. Honor and conquest shouldnt because they have faction specific icons but the other tokens, emblems and marks sure I can see how they could be cross faction, cross realm may be to much for the honor, valor, conquest and justice points. I think honor should stay on one realm and with one faction, conquest I feel should stay on one character.
    Last edited by Nuvuk; 2013-01-22 at 10:59 PM.

A Realm wide gold pool would be more reasonable. All Alliance and Horde toons benefit from the same amount of time spent on quests. So every hour spent grinding reputation could be profitable to any future alts, mains and what have you.

Also mailing gold from character to character get irritating after a while.

Deleted
    Just uncap the gold for shits and giggles. Being that one copper coin away from millionaire is annoying.
    I tend to keep all my g on main, but can't do it anymore.

Also eliminates the BMAH "bid gold cap on invincible and give middle finger to others" thing.

No, to account wide gold and cross realm AH's. The economy will no longer exist for a seller, and just be a buyers market. Trying to compete against a few competition on your server is enough, merging them all into one would be terrible. Huge load on Blizzards end also with that many items to keep track of. They'd have to limit the # of auctions like the do in D3, which wouldn't work in WoW.

I could only see account-wide gold working if it was server + faction restricted.. meaning you couldn't send it cross faction or cross server. Otherwise the economies just wouldn't line up.
    However I can't see anything bad about honor / jp / other currencies (except for VP / Conquest) being account-wide. VP and conquest simply because it wouldn't work with the cap. They would either have to make the cap to the amount of characters on your realm (as in 7k cap if you have 7 characters max level) which would make it a requirement to have all slots filled with max level chars. Or they would have to remove the cap, which would make the whole thing useless, and they are not gonna remove the cap ;P

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd say yes to realm-wide gold pools, if only because not being able to mail gold to cross-faction alts is stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.